How do assessments work in your district?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Dec 8, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

Are teachers required to use common assessments, or is each school/team/teacher responsible for creating their own? Did your district purchase some sort of assessment program/kit that all teachers use?

In my district, teams consisting of 1 teacher from each building were in charge of creating common assessments for ELA and math. This is our first year using them, and many people are unhappy with them. For social studies and science we all just do whatever we want.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2013

My school, on every grade level, runs a common curriculum with the same lessons and assessments each week. We're keeping this as we switch to Common Core, using an Understanding by Design method to make sure we're covering all standards.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

We have common assessments for math, to be given district-wide. They are awful. We have a quarterly assessment that is required to be given for reading and math. Otherwise, it's all us. Generally my teammate and I stay fairly consistent, but she's new to the team and has trouble keeping up with me.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2013

I'm not entirely sure about my district, because I know my school does things differently than the other high schools. My principal is huge on blind testing, so the team leader makes the test and we don't see it until the day we give it to the kids. So, the US History team will have a meeting and she'll remind us which standards we'll be covering by X date and then she'll make the test from those standards.

Throughout the unit, we teach whatever and however we want. As long as we teach everything that we're supposed to, it works out great. :)

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

Seems a little unfair though--I would imagine the team leader's students would naturally score a bit higher.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2013

Not particularly. They're always very careful to use the precise language found in the standards, since that's (in theory) what the students will see on the SOL. I'm on 2 teams. One of my team leader's kids do score a bit higher than mine generally, but I consider her to be a superior teacher. On my other team, my students usually lead the pack. We all usually end up in the same general range, though.

8. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

Hmmm I guess it works for you. I think it would work best if they alternated who made the test though....still wouldn't like it either way.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 8, 2013

All the grade 1 teachers must complete Marie Clay's observation survey each term with each student. Other than that, assessments are left up to the individual teachers.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2013

We have common assessments in reading and math. There are only two math & two reading teacher per grade level team. Other subjects have one teacher.

We created curriculum maps with learning targets and assessment dates. We give weekly quizzes to check progress and tweak the instruction, and a unit test is the summative test. I create the unit test, and my partner does the weekly quizzes.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2013

We use common assessments for math and reading.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2013

If you mean standardized testing, it's all the same around here (and I think through the whole state, at that) -- there's two major assessments through the year (one in fall/spring, one in fall/winter/spring) for both reading and math...and then writing also for the one in the fall/spring.

Our math curriculum, though it's a mix of bunches of random materials and not really a true "curriculum", it has an assessment for each "quarter" of curriculum that is administered before and after the unit. Our reading curriculum (actually a fully developed curriculum, phew!) has explicitly laid out assessment which is required, especially for those who are not yet at standard. We just adopted a new writing curriculum that also has common assessments, though the district was having common assessments through the use of the every-couple-month grade-level meetings.

In terms of day-to-day, (and remember this is elem.) it's a little looser, but because of the set curricula for most of the subjects, the assessments match up pretty well most of the time.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 14, 2013

We use common assessments for all elementary grades for math and reading throughout the whole district. We also all follow the same pacing guide and give the assessments at the same time, so regardless of which of the 10 elementary schools you're at, you take your language arts end of unit test on the same two days as everyone else in the district.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

We have common pre/post assessments in all core areas, as well as 9 and 18 week benchmarks across the district,

Other than that, we're on our own. The district has purchased a bank of questions that are state-test formatted (to an extent) that we are encouraged (but not required) to use when making tests.