How do 6th, 7th and 8th grade differ? Help!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by myloveasdeep, Mar 13, 2010.

1. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

Hi everyone!

I am trying to put together an English curriculum, heavy on writing, for 6th, 7th and 8th grade. My student teaching doesn't help me here because I went to school in a different state and my supervising teacher taught out of textbooks anyway.
    The Colorado English standards group grades 5-8 together, with no differentiation for what they should be learning in each grade. I have ideas for what novels I'll give them, but how do I keep it from feeling like they have the same thing, slightly harder, for three straight years with me?
    I want to do a writing workshop-based class, culminating in a multi-genre research paper. What have all of you done for your middle school curriculum?
    I have free reign as to what I do, basically, as long as I teach them expository writing and group work.

Any help GREATLY appreciated! My interview is Monday!

Cheers,
    Shannon

3. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Mar 14, 2010

In my state, standards for 6-8 don't vary too widely. I find that the biggest difference is in the students' maturity and what kinds of assignments they are ready to do for you. You are fortunate to have so many Web 2.0 resources to use for writing outlets. I would definitely incorporate blogging, wiki collaboration, and others to mix up the kids' activities and prepare them for writing to an unlimited audience.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 14, 2010

Kentucky divides their core content standards by grade. They vary slightly. It's basically mastery level.

The linked page will take you to the content. The "crosswalk" version is the one I like. It shows the same content as specfied in grades 6-7-8 on the same page so you can compare.

Kentucky CCD 4.1

5. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

May 8, 2010

In my school, 6th is more of an introduction to basic parts of speech and learning how to identify them in sentenctes and using them correctly in sentences.

7th focuses moreso on reading/literature. And when it comes to writing, it's moreso "how would you correct this sentence?" as well as more "technical" stuff, like sentence diagramming, prepositions, prepositional phrases, gerunds, appositives, etc.

8th is writing, writing, and more writing. Papers, essays, Standardized writing test.

So I look at it as introduction(6th), practice(7th), mastery (8th)

I hope all this has helped just a little.