How Diligent Is Your School On Sick Kids?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Titwillow, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

Our director does a very poor job of keeping sick kids out. My colleagues and I are constantly getting sick and missing 1-3 days a month without pay. I am so tired of seeing sick kids sneeze with yellow/green mucus coming out of their nose and being wiped on everything and not sent home. I am in charge of disinfecting all tables that are used with bleach many times a day and I don't touch my face and use hand sanitizer until my hands are dry and near cracking! I think because I'm new with this age group it will be the norm until I become more immune. Yes?? Ugh!:woot:

3. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

Our school is hit or miss with this. I had one child with a 101 degree fever, so he was brought to the office and his mom was called. This particular mom is very vocal with her discontent, and apparently was not eager to pick up her child. Miraculously, when his temperature was taken in the office, it was only 99. He was sent back to our room for nap time, and when he woke up I took his temp again and it was 101. His mother finally came, and it turns out he had whooping cough! Several other kids got it, and I got very ill. All because they didn't want to say to this mom, "You need to come get your child"

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

My school does the exact opposite. If a child even complains of being sick, the parents are called. It is not required to come get the child, but they are notified and most do come pick up their child. However, if the child has a fever or some other symptoms (vomiting, etc), they are sent home!

5. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Feb 28, 2011

my center is not good about getting sick kids out either! a parent is called if a kid has a temp of 101, pukes, or has diarrhea two times. a child is not sent home for impetigo, strep, or pink eye (very contagious!) and is only required NOT to come to the center if they puked the night before. very poor management of illness. surprisingly i haven't caught everything going around my first year teaching!!! (knock on wood!!!)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2011

Elementary school...we ask for 24 hours puke and fever free...