How difficult is it to get a job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Expo Markers, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Feb 17, 2017

Hello, everyone. I joined here when I was just starting college, and now I will be student teaching next spring. I'm so excited and so anxious about it at the same time- but that leads me to think about what comes after college.

I will graduate with my initial license in Secondary Mathematics from SC, and I was wondering how other math teachers were faring when it came to getting a job. My fiancée is currently trying to go to college in either Tucson, AZ or Las Vegas/Reno NV, with MD, OR, and WA rounding out the top 5 states.

Did you find that it was hard to get a job? What would you recommend? I have a lot of science and computer credits too, should I try to take those content Praxis tests while I'm in SC or wait until I start teaching? Would that transfer over?

Thank you all so much in advance! I've learned a lot just from following all of your posts over the years.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 17, 2017

Since you're a math teacher you are probably at the top of the desirability list.

Math teachers get hired very easily in most cases (as long as there is a position available). You can definitely add science and computer credentials if you want to increase your search pool or to make yourself more desirable, but I would think you would have little problem as is.

Bioguru likes this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 17, 2017

There's a general shortage of secondary math teachers, so you shouldn't have much of a problem getting a job. AZ is not a great ed. environment right now, so read up and ask so you know what you're getting yourself into. Las Vegas is also not a great place to teach. My cousin was teaching there for a few years, now she's in Nebraska and much happier.

Look at the licensure requirements for each state, but I'd say go ahead and take your Praxis exams. Quite a few states use them/will accept them, so it's practical to get them out of the way now.

5. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

Feb 17, 2017

I completed an application for Clark County School District (Las Vegas) and the day after it was put in the pool, I had 18 voice mails.

Granted, most of the schools were terrible and they still haven't filled the position, but there were a few 9/10 rated schools that contacted me.

Expo Markers, Leaborb192 and otterpop like this.
  6. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

Although it's a little disheartening to hear that AZ and Clark County is suffering from some issues, it does make me feel better that there are jobs out there.

I guess I'm anxious because other than clinical hours and student teaching, I won't really have experience.

7. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Feb 26, 2017

Im in california in the north and my district is going to job fairs 90 miles away to find and recruit teachers. With a math credentail you should be set job-wise in most places. The exodus of the baby boomers is begining in earnest.

8. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 1, 2017