How different/how much change?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by cby1224, Aug 31, 2012.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Aug 31, 2012

Are there a complete new set of test that praxis (ETS) use for the single subject assessment test? If so how different are they? Also, this year praxis is offering the Chemistry test as a computer based exam and when re-registering to take the test in Sept. I thought about taking the CBT, but was unsure about how different they might be. Any insight will be appreciated :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2012

Given a paper-based Praxis and a computer-based Praxis, if the numbers are identical except for the leading 0/1 vs. 5, the computer-based test is pretty much identical to the paper-based test (leaving aside issues of medium and the like).

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Aug 31, 2012

Thanks TG!

Wow, my post wasn't worded very well. I was working on several different things when I posted. :dizzy:

I also meant to ask if anyone knew how much the test change from year to year, as in the last test date of the year (July) to the first test date of the year (Sept). I can't imagine that there is a huge change but I want to be prepared also.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2012

The longer a test has existed or the more people take it, the likelier than the test company will develop multiple versions of it. I'd be surprised, however, if Praxis deployed its chemistry tests strictly according to the calendar.

6. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for the insight Teacher Groupie. I thought the same, but is nice to have a second opinion that verifies my thoughts. Hopefully this is the last time I will have to take this test.

7. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

I like the computer based as I know the score ASAP.

THere are tons of varients for all the tests. Someone on here said he took the 0041 three times and never saw the same questions twice.

8. drcaradona

drcaradona New Member

Sep 12, 2012

Hey with the computer test was your day of score the same as your offical score?> I took the 0041, and It is a very wild test I did well but I heard that the score on the screen may not be my REAl score anyone have any info?>

9. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Sep 14, 2012

drcaradona- I believe the scores reported on test day are unoffical scores and later ETS/Praxis sends or releases the offical scores.

Chassic- I am not sure for the 0041 test but I do know the 0245 test have a few questions that I have seen each time I have taken the paper test. I assumed the computer based test was more than likely the same paper based test just on the computer. (But then again we all know what assuming means) :p

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2012

The smaller the plausible pool of test takers, the likelier that questions will be repeated.

For a test that's strictly multiple choice, I wouldn't expect the same-day unofficial score to differ from the official score - though, if the test consists of two separate graded parts and there's compensatory scoring (that is, a higher passing score on one part allows a "minimal pass" on the other), the interpretation of the number may vary.