How did your SO propose?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 7, 2010.

1. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 8, 2010

My DH and I were pretty young when we got married.. now we are old fogies (sp?) with 17 years of marriage under our belt. :)

We had been talking about getting married for a while.. young love from being HS sweethearts and such. I had mentioned at one point to him (I do not really remember the conversation at all) that it would be great to get engaged on New Year's Eve so we could have the year start off right. Well, as luck would have it, I ended up having to be on my college campus until about 7pm on NYE for basketball practice and then had another practice scheduled for 11am the next morning. (I went to college about 90 miles from where DH lived at that time-- long distance relationship. Ugghh!!) Well, DH had thought about renting a room at a motel room but with my practice schedule, I would not have gotten to the motel until nearly 9pm and then would have to be back on the road by 9am to get to practice on time. So, he didn't reserve the room.

We got engaged, instead, on Christmas Eve. All of his family was at his parents' house- his brother and sister (and their spouses) as well as his grandparents. We were being called upstairs for supper and I had to use the facilities. When I got out, he was still waiting downstairs for me... everyone else had gone upstairs. He called me over to him and told me he loved me... said some more beautiful words and then asked me to marry him. He was holding my engagement ring on his pinky. So, with Christmas music playing in the background and gorgeous tree lights twinkling, we got engaged. We went upstairs and shared the good news with everyone.

2. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

Well, I'm not sure how things will turn out for me right now, but this is my proposal story:

I was visiting him in Idaho while we were dating. We had looked at rings together at a store in the mall, but he told me he wasn't able to afford it at the moment. He ended up stopping in the restroom at Sears, and I just waited on a bench outside. I thought he was taking a while, but when he came out he told me he went back and tried to get the ring, but still couldn't get it. Then we went to dinner at the Olive Garden. He got up and told me he was going to the restroom (and I'm thinking, not again!) He said my name, and I turned and he was on one knee beside me with the ring and asked me to marry him.

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 9, 2010

My Dh and I are both Green Bay PAcker fans. One day I was cleaning and he gave me one of those novelty miniature coffee cups, you know the ones that are barely big enought to hold a marble...it had the packers logo on it and he said, "Next football season, I would like to watch the games with my wife." He proposed on my parents anniversary, which made it extra special as well. We have watched 9 seasons of football together as husband and wife.

4. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

awwwww

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

I have definitely asked BF NOT to propose in front of family and friends. I want it to be a private moment, and something we can kind of secretly celebrate between the two of us for a little while before we tell everyone. I don't care if there are strangers around, like in a restaurant or something, because that is different, if that makes sense.

I also told him that i want to pick out my own ring, and that I want something that is vintage, antique, unique, etc. And that only costs a couple hundred dollars at most.

6. KDS

KDS Companion

Aug 9, 2010

my now hubby and i had only been dating for about 4 months, but i think we both just knew.
    he caught mono while at an Ozzie Osborn concert...i didnt get to go and i never got sick. LOL
    ANYWAY, one night i was sitting on his bed brushing his hair back from his sweaty face and i thought, 'ya know...i really dont mind this. it feels good' so i shook him awake and said, "marry me"
    he barely opens his eyes and said, "ok...can i have som water?"

he now claims he was delerious with fever and thought i was drew barrymore. :)

it is a long running joke that he came out of the fever and his mom made him go buy a ring.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2010

You & I are in the same boat. My BF & I hv talked about marriage more than a couple of times, he just has to get some things together. :)

8. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

When my husband proposed, I had known about the ring and the impending proposal for about two weeks, but I was still extreamly surprised when it happened!
    We went to Monterey for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary and we exchanged presents on Saturday night. He got me a box of chocolates, a snow globe, and a quilt (we had promised to only spend $25 dollars on our gifts for eachother because we were spending so much on the weekend itself). I was happy with all of my gifts, but had no desire to eat any of the chocolates. So, the box sat all night Saturday, all day and night Sunday, and all day Monday! I finally decided to have a piece of chocolate on Monday afternoon while we were at home and I noticed that there was tape on the box of chocolates, then I remembered he had said he had rewraped the box because he didn't like the wraping paper. I didn't think much about it at the time, but I suddenly had an idea that maybe he had put the ring in the box of chocolates...so I rushed to open it (breaking a nail in the process) and saw no ring. So, I tried not to be upset that I didn't have the ring and grabbed a piece of chocolate and there was my ring!!! It was right there underneath the middle piece of chocolate all weekend! Luckily he was home when I found it and he heard my squeal of excitement! He came in to the kitchen and we hugged and kissed and then he asked me to marry him!!! Of course, I said YES!!!

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_526ba939b694a015ba0ad809cf805298.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_9994b024daba64e5ca7c6f8446ad0de9.jpg

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

Well It wasn't the proposal but the wedding announcement We had a Saturday afternoon wedding a very small "reception" at the house then we went to the Arizona State football game still dressed in Tux and Gown at half time the scoreboard flashed congratulation to us in our Section about 500 people stood up and applauded (so I usually say we had 72,191 at our reception)

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

My hubby was away for work for two weeks. We found the ring I loved right before he left, and when I checked his mail for him while he was gone, I found a jeweler's statement....so I knew something was happening.

He ended up surprising me by coming home a day earlier, picking up the ring, and talk to my dad without me knowing. I was running errands at the mall, and he called me to see what I was doing. A few minutes later he tapped my shoulder when I was trying on a new winter coat, and asked me to marry him.

That was seven months ago, we just got married on August 6th!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2010

That must have killed him all weekend waiting for you to get a chocolate craving!