How did your pets get their names?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Mar 22, 2013.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 22, 2013

I threw up my hands today, totally giving up on the possibility that I might have a pet with a normal name.

I know a lot of you remember my cat Booger (RIP). He didn't start out with that name. First he was Humphrey, then Humphrey Bogart, then Bogart, which became Booger. That name stuck.

Now I have a Mastiff. He came with the name Max, but we didn't like that. We settled on the name Baxter, since the first syllable sounded close enough to Max. Then the boys started calling him Bubba, which has now morphed into Bubbles. Yes, I have a 130lb (and growing) male mastiff named Bubbles.

I give up. I am cursed to have pets with crazy names.

So, how did your pets get their names?

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 22, 2013

That's a great story MM. My cat Rose (RIP) also started out with a different name. It was my dd..she fell in love with Leonardo Dicaprio in Titanic. My mom took her to see Titanic when she was 8. Last summer we saw the movie in 3D.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2013

Music and literature:

Smokey Robinson

cleopatra

Boo Radley

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 22, 2013

We just got two weenie beagle mix puppies. Hubby named his boy "Buster". I'm named my girl "Brownie". Together you have Buster Brown. ;)

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 22, 2013

Horse #1 is Irish Blessing because I loved the prayer. Horse #2 is Kourt Jester because he came with it but it fits sooooo well.

My first cat was Tawny when we got her. We hated it so named her Esme (literature). Second cat was Ravenna, which is a city close to us. She became Molly (Harry Potter).

I like Bubbles though!

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Mar 22, 2013

My first cat was Daisy because I just loved the name at the time. My second cat was named Oliver when I rescued him, but I changed it to Sniper. It fit him because he was stealthy and would attack without warning.

Our first dog is Bella because I thought she was just so beautiful when we first got her. She still is my beautiful Bella :) Our second dog is Lola, but her nickname is Fatty. She's a bull mastiff and weighs 100+ lbs and will eat almost anything, which has ended up with an emergency vet visit to remove a large object she chose to eat. Our last dog was Puppy for the first few months we had her since she was a stray and we didn't want to keep her. Well, our other dogs got attached, as did our son, so she stayed. Her name is now Izzy.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2013

I know someone who has a dog named "Waffles". My favorite dog name of all time is- "Lunchbox" :lol:!!!!

My dog's name is Perlita (it means "little pearl"). I wanted to name her Perla because I had a student once with that name and I just thought it was so pretty. But it's hard for me to say Perla because I have a very gringa accent. So it's Perlita ;)

Of course we have tons of nicknames for her- Perillo, Stoopy, Stoops, etc. She makes me laugh!

[​IMG]

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 22, 2013

This is "Bubbles", when I first got him. He's got another 20lbs or so on him now.

[​IMG]

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2013

That's a big puppy! :)

Mine is about 24 lbs. :lol:

11. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Mar 22, 2013

I have yet to be able to name a pet, other than a black gold fish I called Johnny Cash- he lived a week. Haha

My dog, Fargo, my dad named. He was a Christmas present when we were young, and my dad's favorite movie was Fargo.

My cat came with the name Alley. No fun story there!

I am determined that I will give my next pet a literary inspired name :)

Czacza, I LOVE the name Boo Radley. My favorite book!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2013

My husband has this crazy habit of naming our cats after things he sees on his dog walks...we have Skittles (a candy wrapper blowing in the breeze), Zenith (a tv box thrown out in the trash), Pebbles (the cereal), Swiss Miss (because that was her favorite box to sit on when she first adopted us)

13. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 22, 2013

My aunt had a dachshund named Dolly (for Dolly Parton) who had quite a few litters. Every puppy that someone in our family kept has been named for a country star. My sister has one of Dolly's puppies and his name is George. :D Mr. George Strait, country superstar.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2013

With my dog Yoshi who recently passed, I wanted a name that was of part of my heritage & it meant, "The best".

By the way, I personally do not like naming pets human names. Naming pets to me is the opportunity to be really creative!

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2013

Our little Hoshi was originally named Zoie when we got her from the shelter. We wanted something that had similar sounds but was still different, so we went with Hoshi. It means "star" in Japanese.

Our Indy was originally named Rosie when we got her from the shelter. She was most definitely NOT a Rosie, so we knew we needed to change her name. After much back and forth, we settled on Indy. Indy serves a shortened form of two places we've lived--Indiana and North Dakota ("ND", which sounds like "Indy" the way my hoosband says it, although I pronounce it differently). I often call Indy "Indigo", sort of a long nickname. :lol:

Our cat Melvin was originally named Mittens when we appropriated him from the neglectful neighbors. For a while we just called him "Little Friend", but once we took possession of him and moved, we decided to give him a real name. We called him Spock for a while because of his pointy ears, but that didn't suit him. We ended up going with Melvin, "Mel" for short, which fits him perfectly, although I'm not sure why.

Hoshi:
    [​IMG]

Indy:
    [​IMG]

Melvin:
    [​IMG]

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2013

I love Mel's coloring--grey with golden eyes. He's a Russian Blue, and I think they're just the prettiest cats. In certain light, Mel has a striped tail, but you can't see it most of the time.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2013

My rabbit was named Hoppy. I was three, and he hopped. So, Hoppy. I had him until fourth grade.

My spaniel mix was Tramp. He just wandered up and adopted us. We had him a couple of years, but he was snippy. We gave him to a family with older kids.

My shepherd mix was Gene. His face markings reminded me of Gene Simmons' makeup. I had him 14 years.

Tiny came with his name. He was a pit bull & walker coon hound mix. The neighbors moved away and left him.

The black lab mix adopted me. I started calling him Brother since we had another dog, too. I thought she needed a brother. Neighbor started calling him Blackie, and eventually that's what stuck.

EX's dog is an Alaskan husky named Carmen Grace, Ace for short. I still get to see her from time to time.

18. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Mar 22, 2013

My parents went several years without a dog, so when my mom wanted a dog again (always German Shepherds), my dad decided his name should be PITA (Pain in the a**). We call him Pete for short :)

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 23, 2013

Our first boxer was named Bandit,because he had a black mask covering his eyes.
    Our second two boxers were named Brandy and Bruno. My son named them, so they stuck.
    Our Lab mix rescues we have right now are Trixie and Toby. We named Trixie after our favorite character in Deadwood. (HBO series). We didn't like Al for the boy name (our other favorite character), so my son suggested Toby. It stuck!

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

Our pure-bred sheltie was named Wyatt Earp, Western Marshall. He only got called that when he was in serious trouble. We called him Wyatt or Wyatt Earp when he was in trouble.

When we got our cat we were going to name him Doc Holliday. Well, we ended up get a female cat, so her name is Holly instead of Doc. Holiday.

When Wyatt passed we got another dog. We tried to name her after Wyatt's 3rd wife Josephine, but it didn't stick, in part because my son couldn't pronounce it correctly. He was also into Scooby Doo at the time. Her name became Daphne.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2013

When I got Gertie as a kitten, I tried out a name each day. Gertie stuck. Both my mom and sister's dogs have middle names :)rolleyes:) and somehow, Gertie turned into Gertie Girl. Not all the time, but when I am trying to get her attention. If she is in trouble, it is Gertrude!

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

Abbicus Finch (instead of Atticus) - we call her Abby
    Boo Radley - we call her Boo

In college I had 3 mice. They were named Lilly, Ezra, and Peach.

I also had a beta fish in college. His name: Leon-Splendors

Childhood cats: Scratch, SugarBear, Scooter, Samantha

Stray cat we fed: CrappieCat (like the fish Craw-pee)

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2013

My cat / avatar picture was originally named Jackson by my ex-boyfriend because she was a $20 purchase. I hated that name and, when I got custody of her, decided to change it. Driving home with her, I ran through a few until she visibly reacted to being called Pandora. It fit, because she is beautiful, curious, and prone to get herself into trouble.

24. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 23, 2013

Rat: Nadia

Dog: Celia Lou

Dog's over the years: Nipper, Flipper, Tony, Bear, Petey.

Cat's: Rose, Sassy, Molly (rose and sassy sister's) Malcome Kolfax (after baseball's Sandy Kofax)
    Horse's: Starfire, Izzy (after a favorite aunt)

Birds: Luke and Laura....well you know..General Hopital fans.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2013

1st Parakeet - Peedy
    second and third Albino Parakeets - Jack and Jill
    1st cat "Tiger," 2nd cat "Fluffy" 3rd cat "Blackie" 4th "Ole Yeller'
    Chameleon, "Bailey"
    1st dachshund Heidi, 2nd dachshund "Herbie" third dachshund "Hildi"
    1st mix breed german shepherd "Freeway" 2nd mix breed german shepherd "Roxie"
    5th cat "Dakota"
    and last but not least
    "DeeOhGee" (D O G )

26. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Mar 23, 2013

Funny, I have this weird love of dog's with human names. Not just any human name though...I love when they have like little old man names...George, Bob, Herman, Stanley, Arthur. I don't know why, I just adore them!!! :)

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 23, 2013

Kyla (dog) and Kynx (cat) were named by my daughter who needs no reason at all to do anything she decides upon.

28. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 25, 2013

My husband won't let us name pets with human names, so when we got our dog, we had to come up with something creative that wasn't too "girly" (it is a rancher thing). We settled on Biscuit. She is going on 13 years old. Someday, her replacement will be Gravey.

When I was a kid we had a cocker spaniel named "Dolly." She slept in an old dog craddle. She ended up being dad's bird hunting dog. I always said dad was quite the man when he showed up to go bird hunting with his buddies who all had big dogs with manly names and he was with a little cocker spaniel named Dolly. Needless to say, she out hunted all those big dogs by a long shot and often times had to be carried out of the field because she wore herself out. I miss that little dog.

I forgot our cat. We thought it was a she, so she was named Lady Grey because she was grey. Then "she" developed testicles (which were snipped off), and he was renamed "Earl Grey." We just call him kitty when he is a good cat, and "CAT" when he is in trouble. When we call him Cat he back talks. Kind of funny!

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2013

Back talk from an animal !
    My dog lets me know when I get home that I should never leave her alone again and I know what she says TOO! She says, "why did you leave me for 100 hours" (I went to the mail box) She will tell me when her water or food dish is empty, "How could you not feed me?"
    I really think she wants to shame me.

30. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 26, 2013

Our two Siamese cats are Charlie and Willie Wonka. Guess where we got those names...