How did your first day go?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teach2reach, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

Any tips for my first day on September 3rd? :eek:

Thanks,
    Tina

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

Plan more than you need. Get as good a night's sleep the night before as you can- wake up with plenty of time for breakfast and time to breathe. Get to school early and take a few deep breaths!!!!! :)

4. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Ditto that!

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

If things don't go as expected, that's ok. Also, the behavior on the first day of school will probably be good. Don't ease up on your rules and go soft on them. They are always good the first few days, then they will start whispering, calling out, etc. Be firm and clear from the beginning.

Also, know if something isn't working, don't keep at it. Change it and see if something different is better--- however, too much change will lead to distrust from your students. So be SURE it's not working before you try something else. A lot of the routines will take awhile to get used to.

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Greet them by the door when you come in. Someone once told me to shake hands but that isn't my style, so I just make chit chat. Try to say hello to each student at some point during the day.

Have assigned seats (so they know where to go) and seat work (set the high expections from the get-go!!). Give a little bit of HW. I have them bring in 3 things that represent who they are, and then we present and hang on our BB the next day.

I'm always nervous the first day, so I have a quick script typed out (not word for word, obviously, but a list of what I want to cover). I check mark items off as we go through them.

Wear something that makes you feel special, pack a yummy lunch and wear comfy shoes :)

Have fun - and it IS OK to smile and laugh on your first day!!!