How did your first day go?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2007

I know that everyone goes back at different times, but today was my first day back- my first day of 5th grade!! It was kind of weird at my school because things aren't back in order yet after they remodled our school. All in all, the day went fine. It was a bit weird teaching older kids. I'm so used to the little ones!! Anyways, I think this will be a good year. They were really enthusiastic about staring 5th grade. I feel a bit loss as to how to go about teaching procedures or routines seeing as how this grade is so new to me. But, I didn't sweat it! I kept my cool and even handled some misbehaviors pretty well. I had one girl who refused to do the math work. She just sat their playing with her erasure. I talked to her and got her to do some math work. I was patient, talked to them about my rules and consequences, and they seemed to really like my economic unit. My class walked VERY quietly to lunch and luckily got to pass by the principal. I want to prove to him that he made a good choice about moving me to 5th.

Whew!!!

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 15, 2007

Peachyness,

I am glad to hear that your first day went. You did a great job deaing with the girl who did not want to do the math. Have a great second day!!!

jenglish

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

Sounds as though you're off to a great start! (Soon you'll be looking at those kindergarteners in the hall and wondering how you ever taught those little kids!) Congratulations and enjoy the rest of your week.

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 16, 2007

Yay!!! I am so happy to hear you have a good class and that your day went well. I can't wait to hear how well day 2 went. Let me know if you need anything or if I can be of any help!;)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

I'll need anything you have!! I'm starting from scratch!

Day 2 went just as well. I got two more students making my enrollment at 26. :eek: TOO MUCH!! :rolleyes:

Best tip I want to share. I use Tiger Bucks that goes along with my economic unit. They are very excited about the economic unit. Anyways, I got an idea from someone, don't know who, about picking a Secret Silent Student. If this student can walk all the way to the library or lunch room or wherever without saying a word, then they'll recieve a Tiger Buck when we get back to class. If they talk, then nothing is said when we get back. I don't tell them who the secret student is. So, everyone walks so quietly thinking that they may be the Secret Silent Student. Such a great tip!!

Man! Coming from kinder, 5th grade is a breeze. *knock on wood* There's more paper to grade, but I prefer grading then having constantly teach good behavior. BOY! I remember my kids being horrible until December time. Then things got better and I would LOVE my kids. At least with 5th, I can start loving them now. :D

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

You know what's funny. I actually feel MORE exhausted then when I taught kinder. Upper grades go an extra 45 minutes. Whew!!!

8. snickers

snickers Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Peachyness,

What activities did you do on your first day of school? I came from Kinder too and we start on the 27th. I'm just a little nervous! I thought about doing a glyph with them so that they can tell me about themselves. Then, each day we could pull out a couple of glyphs and try to guess whose it is.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

Day one, I had them fill out a form about themselves. It just had some questions for them to answer (full name, nickname, pets, siblings, favorate book, hobbies, etc)
    Then, I had them take a teacher test. I had questions about me that they had to answer. It was more for fun and a great way to introduce myself.
    Then, they did a welcome back bingo. There were 25 boxes (next year I'm only doing 20). They had to find the person who could write their name in a box (flew in a plane, been on a boat, has long hair, birthday is in december, etc)
    Then, we did some math
    Then, we went out and played a game of kickball against another 5th grade class.

Today, we had a snowball fight! They wrote three things about themselves as part of their morning work. Then, they crumpled up their paper and threw them back and forth for a little bit. Then, they had to pick up a snowball near them. We went around the circle, each reading the three things on the paper. They had to guess who wrote those three things. This was pretty fun, but took a while to do too. Then, we went over some important procedures in my class then started a game of charades. A student would come up and have to act out one of our procedures. Then the student who guessed right got a Tiger Buck and got to act out the next one. This was pretty fun, but we ran out of time and will finish tomorrow. I plan to take pictures and then hang them up around our rules. They really liked that idea! Then, we did a quick math test, our first lesson in math, some social studies, then was challanged by the other 5th grade class for a kickball game.

Whew!!! Just saying these things make me tired.

10. snickers

snickers Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Thanks for all of the helpful hints. I learned something at a workshop that I'm going to do and I thought I would share it.

I have a poem that I'm going to share with my 5th graders on the 1st day of school. It's called "100% Me"
    I'm 9% math
    10% soccer
    4% science
    2% clean locker
    I'm 21% wilderness
    6% blue
    I'm 6% braces
    and 2% shoe
    I'm 33% smiles and 3% brown hair
    4% pineapple
    I'm very rare!

I'll tell the students to list 10 things that describe themselves. I'll then share the 100% poem with them. I'll thengive them a template and tell them to write their 10 things on the template to create their own 100% poem. I'm going to post them on the wall for parent night.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

Aw, I really like that!