How did you?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 2, 2002

I am thinking on becoming a teacher. What I want to know is how did you all decide to become teachers? What was the basis for your decision? Did you have doubts? Did you know you would have the patience and the organizational skills needed. I am plagued by doubt even though I am 33 years old and the mother of an 11 year old daughter. How did you know you had what it takes? I feel so bad that I am not sure. Shouldn't I know by now what I want to be?
    Please help.

3. erinkate

erinkate Rookie

Dec 3, 2002

how did you

Personally, I just knew that this was what i was supposed to be doing. I am finishing up my certification degree and I am scared to death that I won't be able to do this in the real world, but i am jut going to do the best I can. I htink the most important thing is too believe that you can do it and try as hard as you can to be the best you can be. Teaching is a hell of a job, but it is worth every minute if you can make a difference in a child's life

Kate :)

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 3, 2002

how i knew

I ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher. I have been so creative and partially because i was immature, was able to adapt in the classroom anything into a lesson. I ONLY NOW, after having my own children do i feel like I most enjoy teaching and feel most nurturing. I need a place to channel my creativity, my classroom is that stage. My interests have also changed though. I would love to be a doula or labor delivery nurse. Maybe i will pursue that someday. ruth

5. ShaddyBaby

ShaddyBaby Rookie

Dec 8, 2002

I have always wanted to be a teacher. I was really good with math and science so when I graduated high school I decided to work on a science degree so I could make some money (because teachers in AL make very little). I was just about finished when I decided to change to elementary education. I love being around children. I don't have any children of my own and I was afraid I couldn't cut it. I was scared about setting up my own classroom, rules, routines, etc. But let me tell you, it was worth it! I love my job! I love the kids! This is my first year to teach and everything is going better than I ever thought. I have a great group of kids and a wonderful groups of parents also. They make it worth my time! I really feel like I have found what I was meant to do with my life! If I ever begin to hate my job (I doubt it) I will get out because the kids deserve a teacher that really cares about them! :D

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 22, 2002

I have similar doubts myself. I am a college student, working on my teaching degree. I have always wanted to be a teacher, and I can't think of anything else I would want to do. I do worry though that I'm just pursuing this as a career because I've always wanted to teach. What if I really don't love it as much as I think I will? I have worked as a teacher assistant in a preschool for several years, and I have done observation in elementary schools for my education classes, and I do enjoy it, but I get frustrated and tired as well. Is this normal? I'm sure all teachers get worn out and frustrated, but to what degree? Any input would be great! Thanks.

7. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 23, 2002

teaching

I also knew I wanted to be a teacher since I was in KG. I had a great KG teacher, then my belief that I wanted to become a teacher was strengthened by a second grade teacher who made me do the work and didn't "baby" me like my first grade teacher, and then a band director who I had in 6th grade and then for four years in high school who taught me that I could do anything I wanted but I might need to work my butt of to get it. Well, I did work my butt off and got into college, graduated, and got a job.

I was extremely nervous about teaching because it is nothing like it was when I was in school. It is so much better, so much more hands on, and great!!! It is hard, there have been times when I thought maybe I'm not doing the right thing, or I can't cut it as a teacher. But then I think about all of the things that far outweigh those negative thoughts and my faith is restored that I am in the right profession! That I would not be happy doing anything else.

I've learned that I am not the greatest teacher out there but this is only my second year (and in a private school where I have to develop the curriculum for my classroom completely on my own) and I am doing everything I can to make myself better for the children I teach now and the children I will teach in the future. I get tired and frustrated and I work way too much but this is what I have always wanted to do and I'm not going to do anything else. So I'm going to work my butt of to be the best teacher I can be.:D

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Dec 23, 2002

Steph-ernie,

Can you picture yourself sitting behind a desk in an office all day? Is there any other job that can provide you with the creative outlet and control over the structure of your day besides teaching?

I couldn't answer yes to either of those questions, but maybe you can. Then you'll know that teaching is one of many options for you. As for me, I'm stuck. I got addicted back when I was in elementary school myself!

Angela

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 28, 2002

Angela, Thanks for pointing out that those are great factors to consider. I have spent some time working in an office job, just to put myself through school, and after working in a preschool classroom for several years, I am going crazy in the office. It's so boring and quiet! (Compared to a preschool, where you never know what's going to happen!) You made some very reassuring points. Thank you!

10. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Dec 31, 2002

I don't know a teacher out there who doesn't get tired and frustrated at times. It's the nature of the job - it takes an awful lot of energy when you are "on" all day like a teacher needs to be. But the reward of feeling like you are doing something important for society by helping to educate young minds re-energizes you and reaffirms your choice to become a teacher. I have worked in other fields before (I've been a secretary, a proofreader & paste-up artist at a typography shop, sold Discovery Toys & currently work in an office as a program coordinator). Personally, I CAN'T wait to get back into teaching! It's hard work, but as someone else told me, once you're hooked, you're hooked! In other words, it's normal to have self-doubts, but you know in your heart if it's teaching you want.

p.s. Teacherkasey, I can tell by reading your posts on this forum and abc.teach.com, that you are already a great teacher! Your kinderkids are lucky to have you!:)

11. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jan 1, 2003

Thank you

Thank you CeCe. I know I still have a lot to learn but I am doing the best for the kids I have!!! Thank you again!!!:D

12. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Jan 1, 2003

Everytime I go into my classroom it is a new challenge. I have been teaching 5 years and I feel like I learn someting new everyday. I don't think that you have to be a perfect teacher to enter the profession but you do have to have a desire to do what is best for children and you have to have an open mind and be ready to change and adapt. If you can do that I think you will make a great teacher. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't worry about whether I am "doing it right". I think that is what keeps us striving to learn more and try new things.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 23, 2003

I am a recent graduate with teaching credentials who hopes to start teaching very soon. I chose teaching because I wanted to do something that would effect lives and I enjoyed working with children.

However, I had many doubts going through the education program and during my student teaching experience. There were even a few times that I thought I should look into an other career field. Every one I talked to about teaching said that "they had always known that they wanted to teach". Since this was not the case for me,(It took me forever to decide my major), I felt like I wouldn't be a good teacher and that without this innate passion I wouldn't be successful.

My views have changed completely since then. I truly believe that good teachers can be developed with training, experience, persistance, and patience. In other words some people are born to teach and others are born again teachers.

I am sure that during the next few years I will have many failures to go along with my successes and may find myself questioning Why I didn't chose a less stressful profession. I can only say that every time I fall I have this overwhelming desire to get up and try it again from a different angle. It's a passionate feeling deep inside my soul that I know I will get it eventually.

Good luck and believe in your self!

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 12, 2003

When I was going to college I had a lot of friends who were majoring in education. They too had always known they wanted to be a teacher and many of them had a parent in the profession. I was majoring in business-whatever that was! Anyway, I decided one day that I wanted to switch to education-make things "easier" -get school over with and get my degree. I was sure that I could use it somewhere else, I just wanted to graduate. The moment that I stepped into the elementary school where I was to student teach and smelled that certain smell schools have, I felt like I had hit the jackpot! I knew at that instant that this is what I wanted to do. I have been teaching for many years now and I still love it. Some years have been really rough but tomorrow is always another day. I also had the great fortune of having my mentor, Sister Pauline, tell me that each person on this earth has a special talent-she told me to always look for it in the children I teach. I do that and it has made my relationships with each child I have taught very special to me. Being a teacher also lets you be so many things-I know that there are many opportunities for people out there but opening that door for children is even greater than actually doing those things yourself. Don't be afraid-liitle kids can't tell that you don't know what your doing if you act confident! Welcome to the best profession in the world!