How did you know he (or she) was 'the one'?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by PinkLily, Oct 24, 2008.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Oct 24, 2008

I'm just curious... How did you know that your significant other was 'the one'? Did you know right away or did it take a while before you realized it? I haven't yet found 'the one' for me, but I'd love to hear all your stories.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2008

Well, my SO isn't my husband...yet, but I'm hoping he will be. We've been dating for a long time. When we met, I was 23, in college, & working a couple of jobs & he was 24. I met him at work. A big shopping mall had just opened & we were the first employees at the place. I actually met him while I was still dating my Marine bf. The Marine & I had been dating for 4 or 5 yrs at that point & I guess we just grew apart & broke up, so I basically already had someone in the wings, but I NEVER cheated on my Marine bf.

The 1st date for bf #2 & I was seeing the movie Titanic & we've been going out exclusively ever since.

The thing about him that I like is his modesty & humbleness. Neither one of us are the bar, club, drinking, smoking, partying types. We're down to earth. We just got along very well since day 1. Sure we have tiffs here & there, but we've never broken up & gotten back together or anything like that. There was never a point where we were so mad at ea other that we stopped speaking to ea other for a time.

We have that mutual respect for ea other. I could picture being married to him & I think (hope) it would work.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

It got to the point where I couldn't imagine the argument or issue that would tear us apart.

And, for 19 years as of last July, we haven't come across that issue.

5. abbiesmomma

abbiesmomma New Member

Oct 24, 2008

I'm just now going through this and making serious life decisions. I met my current bf 6 mo ago, and we haven't spent more than 3 days apart, have had our ups and downs, but in my heart I can't imagine him not being by my side for good or bad times. We're going to look at rings tomorrow, have discussed heavy topics, including having a baby...but there is a part of me that wonders if you ever solidly know, without hesitation or nervousness, that you have found THE ONE and it will all work out. Hmmmm.... I don't think I helped, maybe just made it more complicated-

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2008

Many things in life, including marriage is a risk. We major in a certain field in college, hoping that that's the right field to get into & that we will be successsful. We marry this seemingly great person , hoping that it will all work out & we'll live happily ever after.

You know that saying, it's better to have loved & lost than never to have loved at all. I agree w/ this because I certainly would have wanted to experience love, even if I don't have it anymore. It's a part of life & a learning experience & a chance to feel special emotions w/ another human being.

abbiesmomma, 6 mos & rings already! Wow, that's pretty fast! :)

7. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

It's almost like you just know. There's no doubt in your head. You never want to be apart and when you are you're always thinking of the other person. At least that is what happened to me. When I met my husband 15 years ago, I knew almost immediately from the moment I met him that he was the one. It was just a different feeling! I don't really know how to describe it. We have been close since we met (it's awesome to be married to your bestfriend:)).

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

My husband is the kindest man I have ever met. That's why I married him.

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 24, 2008

My bf and I have been dating for 3 years. We've been living together for a year. We're just now getting comfortable talking about getting engaged.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have dated more because dating seems so glamorous. Then I have to remind myself that I don't do well with dating. We just seem to be on the same page with a lot of things. We've been through hard times together (death, unemployment, etc.) and we've made it through.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

I didn't think that my DH and I would ever last because he was such a ladies man. :haha: We had only been dating for a few months, broke up for a month, and got back together and have been together for 9 years this Wed, married 6 years this past August. I can't imagine life without him now. And as someone mentioned, it is so nice to be married to your best friend.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2008

I kissed him .....

My heart melted....

and then I married him one month later.

(And now you know something else about me that I don't usually tell people!)

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2008

Gonna sound freaky, but when we were sitting together watching tv, I glanced down at his hand and had to do a double take cuz I swear I saw a gold ring on his left finger. There wasn't one but this vision stuck with me--so much so that I bought that very same ring for him two years later.

13. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Oct 25, 2008

It might sound corny, but it's the truth...You know when you are a little girl (sorry, boys) and you dream of your wedding...with all the fixins...the dress, the people, the band, the dinner, etc? When I met my husband, I wanted none of that. I just wanted to be with him. The wedding all of the sudden didn't mean anything. I just wanted to spend my life with HIM.

We did have the dream wedding, but that was my mother's doing ;)

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 25, 2008

My advice is don't rush. I knew that I was dating to find my husband. I only had serious relationships besides dating a guy for a few weeks (some guys don't want a commitment!) so make sure upfront that you're both dating for the same reasons. I'm SO GLAD that I did not marry my first bf of 4 years because things started changing in that 4th year which made me end it.....fast forward now... I dated my husband for 4 years before deciding that I really wanted to marry him. So, I knew *he'd* be the one but I wanted to see how things were living together before getting married to see the dynamics, etc. Another major point is that if we do disagree about something, we try to resolve them right away so we can get along!!! I haven't been mad at him for more than a day at thankfully it's not often!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2008

I think I always knew that Rockhubby was supposed to be my husband. He says he knew he wanted to keep ME around when he called me while he was in an open field with his telescope... and I wanted to know details of everything he was seeing. His astrophotography was what initially got my mother's approval, so he found the right family!

16. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Oct 25, 2008

I knew my SO was the one as soon as I realized he wasn't like my exs. Especially at the beginning of this year when I was really sick and he was with me every waking hour taking care of me, as long as he wasn't at work. And when he cleaned the house top to bottom before vacation. :)

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2008

Yes, that really says a LOT when you're ill & they'll stay by your side because we're not going to be young & healthy forever.

Speaking of that, I think it's so cute when I see elderly couples still holding hands! :wub:

18. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Oct 25, 2008

Oh I'm still young! I had just started my job at the daycare and got a severe case of bronchitis and was bed ridden for about a week.

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 25, 2008

It didn't take long for me to know my husband was "the one." I probably knew a few months into our relationship, but then again, we had been close friends for about a year before we started dating. That said, we were only 20 when we started dating, so we didn't even get engaged until 4 years later and were engaged for 2 years before we got married this past June.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2008

Oh, I wasn't implying that you may be older. I was just stating in general that none of us are young & healthy forever. Therefore, if you & your mate are still young & you get ill & he stays by you, more than likely, it's in his personality to stick by your side in good times & bad.

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 25, 2008

First of all, I was in a good place myself. I was truly okay with myself and wasn't looking for anyone to "fill in" something for me.

Second of all, many of my past relationships had an issue or a problem or a stressor or drama or baggage. This one had (still has) none of that.

With my husband (we've been married 5 months after dating for almost 4 years) our relationship has such a calmness to it. We don't ever get annoyed with each other. We disagree, but we don't argue.

Oh, and did I mention that we both think each other are hilarious? We can crack each other up all of the time.

I really think both him and I were in a good place with ourselves and it made our relationship work that much better.

We met on a blind date, when I saw him my first thought was, "ooo, I could really like this guy." By date 3 I could tell he was pretty into me ... about 3 months in I knew he was going to be my forever.

22. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Oct 25, 2008

Well, I was going to College in Florida and my DH was working/living in Montana. We were in a chat room one day and we were both talking to the same depressed girl about her problems, and sharing with her about our belief in Jesus. Everytime I entered a ew comment, my DH had just entered a similar if not totally same comment. We continued chatting long after the other girl had left the room. Neither of us was online looking for a mate, but we exchanged email addresses. Wrote letters and had HUGE phone bills for almost a year, then I came to Montana for a "Thanksgiving visit." I never left. He propsed on Dec. 16 (my mom and (late) dad's wedding anniversary) and we were married the following June. (By the way, I knew he was "the one" after that first chat room encounter....It is true that sometimes you just know!) :)

23. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 25, 2008

He used uppercase and punctuation. (We met in a chat room.)