How did you decide where to move to?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

How did you decide to live where you do now if you feel settled, etc. in your community? Was it mainly the house that attracted you to where you live or figuring out how far you had to drive to see friends and family? I'm curious what factors people considered besides liking a house, a reasonable commute to work, etc.

My brother and his wife just bought a house in the city (they have 30 days to change their mind if they need to) and I had no idea they were even househunting til this past week when they said they were and that they found a house. I'm happy for them but it makes me wonder still where my husband and I will will move when we sell our condo. I know that once we move we would be that much more ready to welcome children into our lives beacuse we will have more space.

I'm just still not sure where *we* want to move.

We know we can find a house we both like once we figure out where we want to live but it seems challenging to pick a city/suburb.

1. We know we need to choose based on work commutes (mainly for my husband's job into the big city). He currently has about a 45 mins commute on the bus each way.

2. My family usually gets together mainly for holidays rather than on a random weekend. I'm just not that close to my parents since we have different personalities. I'm sure that will change once babies come along!

3. My husband's dad (who is getting remarried soon, his wife died last Oct from cancer) and sister/husb/child live in another state so we only see them once or maybe twice a year however they live in a very affordable state and we could have a bigger house there and yard for sure which our dog would love. The weather is either pretty hot or pretty cold there though (It's Kansas).

So, thankfully we agree on the same features in a house but we just need some direction (well I would love some!) in figuring out where we want to live!! There are always going to be pros and cons it seems for anywhere (whether it's a longer commute or being away from people we "love" even if we don't see them often).

Thanks for any advice from those of you who have been in our shoes!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2011

I was just about to start a thread almost along similar lines (I think I still will). Anyway, I still live w/ my parents (but hopefully not for much longer). We used to live in LA (Los Angeles, CA). The area we were in wasn't the best, even though I attended good private schools.

My parents at 1st wanted to move to this 1 city (in the same county), which is a nice area, but something md them search more & they came to learn about the area we're in now, which was considered far away to us (in a diff county), but it is VERY nice. Back then, they were bldg a lot of homes (still are now, but not hardly as much). The area is very safe, good school districts, beautiful scenery, of course good CA weather, etc., so we md the move the summer of '89 into a brand newly built 2-story home. That was the 1st time I attended public school & a yr later for 9th gr, the 1st time I took a school bus.

We've loved living here ever since. We're an hr away from any relatives, which it didn't matter to us about that. We previously lived about 10-20 min away from some of them.

I'm planning to get my own place before the yr's over & I'd like to stay in this city & if not this exact city, a neighboring one.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 22, 2011

We have always known that we wanted to live in the country. We don't want any close neighbors. So, we began looking about 3 years ago. We had 2 areas we would consider. When this place became available, we grabbed it. Remember, we had been looking for 3 years, knew the market and knew what we wanted. This place was listed at $419,000. The parents passed away before they could sell it, so we bought it from their 4 children. The 4 children wanted a quick sale, so we offered a LOT less that $419,000 and they accepted.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2011

It's hard. I really like the area of Delaware where I used to live. There is just so much around and the access to 95 means we can easily get anywhere on the northern east coast pretty easily. Having lived in both states, I also just like how the government and schools are run much better, the political atmosphere is more conducive to ours, I would be closer to my family, and it is actually cheaper than this area.

The problem is, BF needs to work near a city because of the type of job he has, but we want to live in country. I like this area of PA, because we are close to the capital, but there are lots of small towns mixed in with country. The problem with DE is that downstate is all country and upstate is all developed - we would end up having to live in a townhouse or McMansion so that BF could work in Wilmington or Philly.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

We moved to another state because I was offered a job here. It's not a geographic location that I thought I'd ever live in, but I like it now that we're here.

As for our actual home purchase here in this city, it sort of just happened. We were very open to most areas of the city. Each area would have negatives like a potentially longer commute, but it would also have positives like particular neighborhood amenities. We weren't set on any one area or any particular set of amenities. Our goal was to find the best house for us, and for us that had more to do with the house, its outdoor space, and its price rather than its location within the city.

In the end, we got a house very close to my school. It's in a nice, clean neighborhood with well-maintained houses. We chose the house because it was the only house we looked at that wasn't a foreclosure or short sale, so our offer got accepted right away. :lol: The house is the perfect size for us (3 bedrooms plus a den, 2 bathrooms, 2-car garage), it has some fun extras that we weren't expecting (hot tub, covered patio that runs the entire width of the house, located on a dead end so virtually no traffic). It was also priced well under our budget, which for us was the most important factor.

Now that we've lived here for a while, we've started tossing around the idea of moving to a more rural setting. My hoosband is from the country, and I'm from the city but a much smaller city. We're saving our money to purchase land in the middle of nowhere. If it has a house on it, that's great, otherwise we will be building our own house. We have no preferences about where this "bug out" property should be as far as state or geographic location, but we will be looking for certain features like access to a lake or stream, fertile land, etc. When we are ready to buy, we will just take a look at what's out there and what everything costs and make a decision from there.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2011

I think a lot of people here don't think about it...we were raised in this county and it's where we stay. I've said before that it really wasn't a consideration to move to another zip code.

As far as where to live specifically in this county, we searched for land on which to build this house. I wanted a couple hundred; my husband wanted one. We compromised heavily to his side with about seven. I'm not totally happy, but incredibly thankful at the same time.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2011

I went where the job was. I was willing to live just about anywhere, other than Alaska or some extremely rural part of Nebraska/kansas or something, haha. I did not expect I'd ever end up living where I do now. It's definitely been an experience and I think I've grown as a person because of it. However, I do not plan on staying here forever. Apart from finding a good job of course, I want to be closer to a city and in a much warmer climate. I figure once you're far enough away that you have to get on a plane to go home, distance doesn't matter anymore (as in what's the difference between living 2 states away or 5) and there aren't any jobs in my home state or the surrounding states.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2011

It was where she lived and she didn't want to live where I lived. So I moved to where she lived.

I still live there. She wants to move. So we probably will.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2011

We're looking right now - it's more to do with commute than area at the moment. Our jobs are 60 miles apart, which leaves us with one town that is about halfway for both of us AND has immediate highway access.

We'd rather the rural are of the county, but it's a bit pricey.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 22, 2011

I grew up here.

I really wanted to come home and be a teacher in my hometown. I liked the town where I went to college, but even after spending five years there, it just wasn't "home". After graduation I moved back and applied for a teaching job. Once I was "settled" into my job and knew I wanted to be here for the long haul, I bought a house.

I grew up in town, although "town" is rural by most standards. My mom still lives in the house where I grew up, and she's having trouble with deer activating her security lights at night. That's hardly "big city life". She's within the city limits.

I wanted a little more space. I moved across town, out of the city limits. I have a big yard that backs up to the woods. I have neighbors that are close enough for me to feel like I'm not isolated, but not so close that I feel like they know every move I make. I got a lot more house and land here than I could have gotten in other areas.

I was single when I settled here. When I got married, DH moved here. He travels for his work anyway, so he was going to travel no matter where we were. So, it made more sense to stay here. Even after 11 years together, DH is still having some "culture shock" moments. He's a city boy.

12. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 22, 2011

I rent a place in the suburbs of San Francisco and Oakland. I am hoping that I will one day own a home here, but since most homes that have 4 bedrooms cost over a million dollars, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if that's a possibility.
    There are cheaper places I could live but I choose to live here because of the:
    1) weather
    2) location - just 30 minutes from San Francisco and yet the "sprawl" here isn't tract housing, but unique homes built on hillsides and on big lots.
    3) feeling of community
    4) the diverse cities and towns around here-there is always something fun to do, whether it be a drive in the country or a fun event in the city

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2011

This is a city??? :eek: :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's a very nice town. I do love it here, but next Miami....

To answer the OP, I live where I live because this is where I found a job. I am currently house hunting. I want to be close to downtown, near to a particular park, and close enough to the "city" part of this town that I feel a little more at home.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

:lol:

Go on, go on, make fun... But it's quite the quandary, being from one of the most rural states in the country but having zero farming experience or knowledge. I haven't the first clue what it's like to live in the country, unless you count the fact that our housing subdivision was about 5 miles north of the city. That's about as "rural" as I've ever been. :lol:

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2011

Having moved many many times, and to several states and countries my best advice would be, pick a house that is closest to ONE workplace. We picked places before that were not close to work, but closer to schools or in better neighborhoods or whatever and were ALWAYS sorry. See, at least one commute will be short and cheap. I would also take into consideration the location of stores etc. IF you choose to live in the country, are you close enough to a gas station to get gas on E or do you have to have a 1/4 tank to get there? Are groceries more expensive in that neighborhood? (some neighborhoods are MUCH more expensive and people never think to look into that one)

More often than not we have lived away from people we love, and we found that the longer we have been together and older our kids got, the LESS we see other family members. They get busy in their lives and eventually people just come around less. IF you want that contact, you likely will have to go to them. Expect it, and if you have a guest room and it gets used, rejoice. But based on what my parents in law are going through now, I would never buy a house close to family (they are feuding with BIL and SIL and it is making every one miserable, and PIL want to move from their retirement home).

Pick a state where you have a job, if that is what you are considering. Oh, and a chance to get other jobs if that becomes a need.

And last, but MOST importantly, pick the least expensive house. Not the most like most home buyers do, pick the least expensive one you like. You can always make improvements on the interior or exterior, but you can't make the house cheaper if one of you loses your job. A house is just a roof over your head, not a status symbol or a place for entertaining. It is just not necessary to buy a house with those features in mind, what matters is it doesn't flood, leak, it heats and cools, and keeps the elements out.

Good luck in your search.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

I live 20 minutes from the house where I grew up. My 4 siblings are all on Long Island also, none more than an hour from that same house.

On the other hand, Pete has a brother 4 hours upstate and a sister in LA.

We both have jobs in Nassau County. So it made sense that we would look here. Pete's commute is about 20 minutes; mine is 12 minutes if I make the lights.

The further you get from NYC (on Long Island, that means the further east you go) the cheaper the houses tend to be. So that meant we were going east. But I wanted to stay in Nassau, or western Suffolk. We ended up in central Nassau.

Once I did a little research, I learned that property taxes tend to be lower in villages that have a lot of industry. So a mall or something similar means lower property taxes. Our village has both a mall and the electric company. So our property taxes are considerably less than in neighboring villages. (Of course, on Long Island, that's relative.)

That meant we could spend more money on house, less on taxes. So we specifically looked at property taxes.

(I called the town clerk, looking for a list of median property tax assessments, but no such list existed. Of course, that was in 1990; things may very well have changed since then.)

He wanted a garage and basement; I wanted a dining room. We found a 3 bedroom cape with both. I wanted a street with families on it in a decent school district. (Of course, those particular kids have now grown.) But I figured that familes meant people looking out the window at their kids, looking out for those kids and each other. And, while we didn't have kids then and wouldn't for another 9 years, that's the kind of neighborhood I wanted to be part of. So when we were looking, I specifically looked for kids on bikes and other signs of families.

17. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

To be honest, I wanted to live in a neighboring county...not the one we bought in because I had lived here since I was 5 and my work (most job opps) are in this other county. But the houses out there, even when it was during the drop, were still too expensive for us. We could have bought a townhouse out there...or a regular house with our own yard and not attached to anyone in the county we ended up buying in. So that was a major factor...we got way more property/house for our money. We were able to buy low and got a great deal. I'm about 35 miles from my work, my husband is about 20 miles...I wish I were closer. Our house is in a great school district, and one of the best schools in the district is about a block from our home. The neighborhood is quiet and friendly. Those were all factors to us. :)