How did you decide what you wanted to teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kat., Jul 12, 2016.

1. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 12, 2016

I'm not a teacher yet, but I want to teach high school biology. I always liked the class and know it's something a lot of students dread, so I'm hoping my enthusiasm can encourage them a bit! I also think I'd prefer my students to have a bit more independence. My credentials will allow me to teach 7-12, and I think I'd be fine with any of those grades.

That said, I'm hopefully going to be subbing this school year so my mind could definitely change.

So anyways, what made you want to teach the subject/grade you teach? :)

3. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 12, 2016

I always thought K/1 was for me. I did a lot of my observation and service hours in first grade and loved the age. I student taught in a TK/K class and it was a wonderful experience. Even with tears, tantrums, and typical four-year-old behavior, those crazy kids didn't scare me away!

Then I student taught in third grade. A combination of the students and content caused me to have a change of heart. Third graders are the best age to work with, in my opinion. They're young enough to still love and respect their teacher, but old enough for independence. I honestly fell in love with a grade I never expected to.
    Now I'll be teaching third grade for my first year and I couldn't be more thrilled.

MsZzz and Srhhwtt like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2016

First, I always wanted to teach kindergarten. After being home with my kids for 10 years, I returned to a grade 5 classroom; I decided that was perfect for me and never wanted to teach anything else. Circumstances led me, against my will, to grade 7 and 8. I've never looked back and love every minute!

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 12, 2016

I had absolutely no intention of being a teacher til the tail end of high school. In college, I couldn't make up my mind of what to major in: health eduction or elementary education. So I fiddled with classes for both until I decided I was taking more elementary classes.

6. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

Well, when I first began college it was for nursing. I switched to teaching with high school in mind. I enjoy higher level math and wanted to teach that. However, older kids in large groups really intimidate me. I was working in a daycare at that time and from that experience knew I wanted to get farrrr away from daycare age lol! Sooo I enrolled in a middle school teaching program. I got a new job as a substitute and learned I was more comfortable with elementary age..mostly kindergarten. Sooo again, I switched to elementary level. I completed student teaching in third grade and Kindergarten. I loved third grade! I think I felt so comfortable at first with kindergarten because I was so used to younger kiddos (from working at a daycare with 2yr olds-pre-k), but as I started working with third grade and fourth grade (for field experience 2), I realized I prefer older elementary. I love how they are more independent and still enjoy school (for the most part!).
    This will be my first year teaching and for my desired grade level..third grade!

7. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

Wow, we have very similar experiences!!!

8. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 12, 2016

I just read your post, very similar!!
    Congrats on landing a job teaching the best grade out there ;)

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Third graders do rock!:handfist: I never had any experience with the age group until I got hired to teach them. They really are funny and full of questions. They're at this age where they want to know EVERYTHING and always question "Why. " I love it because it can lead to some interesting discussions. I had a lot who, because of older siblings, tried to act "older" and "cooler" than they were, but it was funny to watch them try to take on those expectations when, say, they couldn't even tie their shoes still. Poor old "C," and he was the shortest kid in the class too. But he was a quirky one. His energy and behavior compensated for his small stature. I didn't care for a lot of the stuff I had to teach though. Some it was just boring to me.

I do want to teach second grade in my lifetime at some point too.

cocobean likes this.
  10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 12, 2016

It found me - literally! I started out as a preschool teacher before I received my degree. I always thought I wanted to teach kindergarten - until I student taught in 5th grade. I taught 5th and 6th for several years, stayed home with my own children, and then came back as a social studies teacher.

11. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 13, 2016

I wanted to be a high school math teacher until I failed the first test in Calc 2 and dropped the class. Then I was a computer science major until I got a D in one of those classes. I could only complete a History or English degree in 2.5 years so I chose History. I taught high school for one year and vowed to never go back. I found my niche in middle school after a year of subbing.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 13, 2016

I worked with kids in many different capacities when I was a HS student (church, volunteering, teaching swim lessons). At first I thought I liked the very youngest students, like pre-k or K age. I quickly figured out that wasn't the case! It got to the point where I told the Y I worked at that if there were only pre-k classes available to teach, keep me off the schedule. They drove me nuts!

During my college summers I was a camp counselor. At first I was assigned to a 12 year old cabin and I didn't really like that age either. I saw how obnoxious the teen cabins (13-15) were and knew I definitely never wanted to work with that age group! I cannot stand the "teen attitude!" I got switched to the 7-9 year old cabin the next session (which most people were afraid of, haha) and I absolutely loved it!

13. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 13, 2016

Pick the subject you like the most. I love history, I love telling stories, I like discussing. It just fit.