How did you celebrate St. Pat's DAy?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2006

What fun things did you do with your class? While they were eating breakfast, I sprinkled gold glitter and over turned a couple of chairs in the room. They went nuts when they saw the gold!!! We made green jello and you'd think it was the best thing they ever did in their whole life!!! We had cookies with green frosting and green milk shakes. We made Leprechaun hats...

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2006

We made leprechaun hats and I wrote their names in glue and sprinkled gold glitter on them. They were quite proud of their hats. We had an "eating of the green" and each child brought in something green to eat. We had quite a variety. We listened to Irish music and danced an Irish jig (that was hilarious!!!!!!!!!) I read several leprechaun stories and we journaled about catching a leprechaun. And I was so excited.......ALL the kids wore something green today, too. We had lots of fun! Sounds like you did too, Grammy.

4. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 18, 2006

I subbed in a 2nd grade class. The kids kept telling me of their adventures at recess--finding leprechauns, getting tricked by them and of course reminding us to tell them if we saw rainbows...so cute. I didn't realize they still played like that in 2nd grade. I'm glad. Kids today are way "too old" for their age! I handed out gold foil wrapped chocolate 50 cent pieces. I think the funniest thing was when I asked a little girl who a certain boy was. She said, "He's over there." I said, "Which boy?" She answered, "The one in the green shirt." Ummm which boy in which green shirt??

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2006

My class wrote Leprechaun's Lunch menus on cut out shamrocks. Some of the delicacies included shamrock soup, Blarney Stone beef stew, over the rainbow ice-cream, etc. They decorated them with shamrock stickers. Very cute. We did this earlier in the week because Friday was field day. Lots of fun but being out in the sun physically active (more or less) all day was tough for me. I am wracked with arthritis right now.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2006

Then, when I got home, my mother brought me over a loaf of homemade Irish sodabread. She outdid herself - it was the best ever. I am enjoying it right now. Yum.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2006

You are lucky to have a mom like that...how sweet.
    Oh, I get the arthritis in my hands(always have)... I mopped the entire daycare last night after I was done "work!" My right hand and arm get so sore the day after...but it doesn't really affect me until I am sleeping! I keep waking up in the night and have to sleep with my arm hanging over the edge of the bed! Oh it's hell getting old!!!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2006

You're not kidding. Arthritis is very weird. I can't predict when it will flare up (other than overwork, overtired). The latest flareup started in my left hand after opening several new child-proof pill bottles.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2006

Yea, that's how arthritis is. I have a bit of carpel tunnel(not sure of the spelling on that) and it is really bad , like I said after mopping and cleaning a lot...and being on the computer too long at night. I don't want surgery so just baby it along as best I can. Aspirin helps.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2006

doesn't the weather cause your arthritis to flare up? Whenever the barometric pressure was low my mom's arthritis was the worst. I hope I never get it......
    daisy, how is your mom doing? Sounds like she has recovered and now not staying with you? That is great! I know how worried you were.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2006

Oh, thank you for remembering, kinderkids. My mom is greatly improved. She walks without a walker, can bend over and pick things up, has been driving since the beginning of February. She has an occasional bad day and needs a heavy duty painkiller, but usually is fine without. She is sooooooo thankful.

I know that the pressure is supposed to affect it, but we've had high pressure all week and I've been worse. Also, two years ago when I lost weight and began eating correctly, my arthritis worsened. Go figure.

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2006

We did a nice unit on the holiday and who St Patrick was. Jeanne made a leprechaun trap and shamrocks where each leaf was the color of the Irish flag.

The leprechaun got away, but he did leave her $2 and a nice note wishing her better luck next year.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2006

Those are cute ideas, Becky! I taught my kids about the Irish flag and they made a small one out of paper.

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2006

I found those shamrocks in a book, actually.

I learned a lot from this unit. I had no idea that St Patrick's day was a religious holiday in Ireland. No idea whatsoever. I emailed an Irish paper to see if they'd link me to forums where I might post to get comments on the holiday from Irish folks, but I never heard back.

I'm fortunate that I've found excellent social studies lessons for her online.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 19, 2006

We read stories and listened to Irish music. We did potato prints and decorated them - like Mr. Potato Head. In the afternoon we had our Eating of the Green - got the idea from Kinderkids. We had a great time. The leprechaun came during lunch and left them green coins and messed up the room they were so surprised!
    Friday was 2 of my friend's birthday's so I went in NYC where it is packed to go out. Had a lot of fun. Thank goodness there was no school yesterday.

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 19, 2006

We read jamie O'Rourke and the Giant Potatoe, made potatoe people
    and had a gold hunt. Made hats with paper plates and shamrocks, streamers down the back, and danced to Irish music.

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2006

Before my kids took their nap they all made a leprechaun trap together. I must say they did a great job using teamwork and worked together. They decorated a shoebox with green stuff because the leprechaun likes green:). They also put green Skittles under it because I...I mean...the leprechaun likes Skittles. While they were sleeping I...er, um...the leprechaun ate the Skittles and dropped some of his gold under it. He also tore his coat and left a piece of the fabric under the box and in the door jab. He also must have stepped in the green paint we were painting with because he left little feet marks on his way in and washed his feet in the toilet because the toilet was all green too! On his way out he gave each one a leprechaun kiss (glitter glue) on their cheeks.

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 19, 2006

I subbed for four days last week in one of the area high schools. Last week the high school students had to take the OGT - Ohio Graduation Test - a different test each morning. By Friday, they were burned out from testing. So, on Friday afternoon, everybody was watching the NCAA basketball game - Ohio State vs. Davidson. Yeah! Ohio State won!
    Friday evening - the University of Cincinnati won their game in the NIT!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2006

Jen, your ideas are adorable.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

Thanks Grammy.