How detailed are your sub plans?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 30, 2012

I am going to be out three days this week for off-site trainings/workshops for Common Core. I'm excited about the professional development opportunity, but not too thrilled about being out of the classroom for three days. :(

Anyway, as I was typing up my sub plans, my BF glanced at them and said, "You're pretty much leaving a seven-hour-long script for them to follow!" I like things to run like a well-oiled machine without seeming like a micro-manager, but I've spent the entire day writing my plans for the next three days. :unsure:

How detailed are YOUR plans? How much time do you spend getting things ready for a sub?

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 30, 2012

I don't give a word-by-word script, but I am pretty thorough. I hate getting ready for a sub because it does take quite an effort. I leave post-its on all materials with the subject & time to use it, notes about this is an if-time activity or homework, discuss and complete together, etc.

My actual written plans go period by period and explain to the degree that is needed. I usually know who my sub will be, so I have an idea if they can pick up and go, or need more details. Or if I need to change the activity altogether!

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 30, 2012

My plans are usually 3 pages long for a day with a sub. I make sure to include everything they need to know about how the day should work.

I actually keep all my previous sub plans saved and just edit the names of worksheets, books, or activities that I want them to complete, because generally my days follow the same format. This cuts down on the time spent creating plans quite a bit. The first sub plan of the school year takes about 30-40 minutes to write. Subsequent ones are more like 15 minutes.

5. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Sep 30, 2012

As a sub, I can tell you I really appreciate detailed plans. I've walked into classrooms before and the plans are "math: lesson 5 chapter 2". I like having the teacher's guidelines on how they want a lesson taught, where things are, who to ask for help, etc.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2012

Mine are probably like yours-I usually have at least 6 pages typed and single spaced. I have a hard time giving up control....

I haven't taken any days off since moving to the music position. Hopefully I wouldn't have to write as much-now I teach the same lesson all day to 6-7 different classes.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 30, 2012

I am a high school teacher, and I prefer to leave detailed plans for each class. I think that stems from when I used to sub when I was in college. I hated being in for a teacher who left nothing but vague plans or busy work. The more detailed, the better (in my opinion).

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 30, 2012

Very, very detailed. I have even had times when I almost went with the abbreviated version because I was having a sub that I used all the time and was glad I didn't when that sub got sick and we got a first time sub for the day. All of my subs have said they appreciated them.

When I leave for 3 days I leave a detailed daily schedule and then other days I write down the different activities for each subject.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 30, 2012

Mine are two pages long with times listed and information about where to find the books/supplies, etc. Pretty detailed.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

Mine are usually VERY detailed. I hate being out because I spend so much time writing plans! Mine are not in scripted form, but I do leave specific notes about each portion of the day that includes which students to expect (I teach SPED), which rooms they are coming from, the teachers' phone extensions if the students don't arrive on time, the specific activity to do with the students, notes about the students expected strengths and weaknesses on a particular activity or assignment, behavior concerns, an overview of my behavior management plan, and who to go to for assistance if needed. I leave sticky notes on the materials they will need for the day and try to have everything laid out in an organized fashion. It's always a huge amount of work to plan for a sub, but I'm usually pleased enough with the outcome when I return to school. I've already been out five days this school year, and, on four of those days, I've had subs leave me a note saying the plans were great and to contact them if I need a sub again. So, I guess they must appreciate the details!

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

I thought mine were detailed but after reading this, I'm thinking otherwise :lol:

I leave a list of what to do but the sub only has my kids for 42 minutes. I leave a couple of things to do with specific directions but there's not much to include. Four of my nine periods are co-taught so my co-teacher takes care of all of that when I'm out. I was just out this past week and left about a page and a half of plans.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2012

My plans are usually 3-4 pages and I teach older kids! So I imagine they would be even longer if I taught younger kids.

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 30, 2012

Mine are also detailed, 3 pages...but I'm OCD with creating a chart with the time, color coded seat charts for kids who come and go for whatever reason, and the lessons, etc....along with having an Emergency Sub plan binder filled with things that the sub needs to know; also OCD categorized.

I leave a list of what needs to be done, and I how I give tests, but leave the rest to the sub; I try to make their life easy on what needs to be taught or reviewed or tested. Letting go of the micromanagement for a few days will be okay. You're class will either miss you like crazy, or just the opposite, wish they had the sub as their teacher.

I even have a small "Thank You for Being Here" Chinese take-out box of goodies to leave for a sub---the last sub was last school year, and she had left me a note of how her day went, it wasn't so great with chairs and tables flying, but she appreciated the goodies!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 30, 2012

I feel like my plans are pretty detailed. I have a sub folder that contains an outline of general information (duties, fire/tornado drill routines, classroom management, etc.). My regular daily plans are usually about 4 pages when I have a sub. I use numbered bullets to explain each step in the lessons (I figure it is easier to read than long paragraphs), so that probably makes them a little longer in length.

I leave sticky notes on all of the materials, explaining which lessons they go with. I also highlight my teacher manual for math, and leave sticky notes right in the book.

15. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Sep 30, 2012

I take about an hour to get sub plans/materials ready for 1 day of school.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

Mine are detailed. Subs tend to appreciate them. Mine tend to be about 2 pages. I leave post-its on my handouts/worksheets. I lay everything out in neat stacks on my desk.