How detailed are your first week plans?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lifein1stGrade, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Lifein1stGrade

Lifein1stGrade Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

How do your lesson plans for the 1st week of school compare to your typical lesson plans? Are they less detailed, more detailed?

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

I would say as detailed.

I can't plan lessons too detailed for an entire week. I have to see what students do that day, to know exactly what I am going to do the next day.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

Not detailed at all the first week.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2013

Mine have the same detail. The activities may be more general, but I make sure I have a lot of them.

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Mine are as detailed. I do admit that I start out great with plans at the beginning of the year and they get less detailed as we go. We are not required to have detailed lesson plans. One person from our team submits plans for the team to our P. As long as he knows the topic we are working on, he is happy.

7. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Not detailed because the first week is about getting to know the students and etc

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

They're as detailed as they are the rest of the year. My school starts curriculum from day 1, although it is very easy and mostly review. Also, I like to write out what procedures I'm going to teach because I'm afraid I'll forget some. Also, this year I'm starting Daily 5 and I'm following step by step how to set it up, so that will require more extensive planning.

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

The first week consists of paperwork, routine, roster adjustments, distribution of supplies, procedures and I'm bracing myself for all the EDL and QRIs ill have to do.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

Detailed for me. Primarily because that´s the only way I function well.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

In the past, my first week plans has been more of a schedule. We have switched to a new lesson plan format online and I will be required to be detailed (TEKS/standards listed and all).

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

They look less detailed if you just glance. It is actually that we are just moving way more slowly.

13. MrShiva

MrShiva Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

I do this too. The first week is the time for the students to know each other and for them to adjust in their new teacher.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

For much of the first week, my plans consist of lists of what I hope to accomplish each day. I tweak this as I go, as I get to know the students. I usually find that I plan far, far more than we get accomplished.

15. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

Way less detailed - although this year I am starting Morning Meeting so I might have a little more detail when it comes to that aspect. Otherwise, the rest of my plans are getting-to-know-you activities and initial assessment stuff.

16. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

The same amount of detail. We start academics on day one, so I try to start our normal routine ASAP. Time's built in for teaching procedures along the way the first week.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

In the past, our lesson plans HAD to be a minute-by-minute blow of the day, including the first week.

This year, we're getting a new, district-wide lesson plan format. No idea what that will entail.

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

I feel like mine are a bit more detailed, because the worse thing in the world (to me) is for a lesson to run short and have to think up something on the fly for the kids to work on. I feel like it's a disservice to the children and it looks really bad if the P or someone pops their head in to observe and I'm fumbling for something to do.

Plus, I have no idea what speed the kids will work at until I've gotten to know them for a few weeks, so my first week plans aren't so much detailed as they have a lot of extra work incase the kids fly through the lesson or if an assembly gets cancelled and now we've got 45 minutes to fill.