How "cute" is your classroom?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ted, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Thank you for the site (although it wasn't directed to me..teehee), but I wonder if my district blocks it.....I'm going to try it out anyways :)

2. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I'll do that...thanks so much, Jem! :)

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2013

My district DOES block it, but they don't block Amazon, and I have all of my digital music files stored on Amazon's cloud server so I can play them through my teacher computer (I have SmartBoard speakers - great sound!).

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

That is hilarious! I'm sure I'll remember it at the next meeting I sit thru where we all earnestly discuss our results.... :lol:

5. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

AHA! Okay. Ill do that then. Thanks :thumb:

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

My room might be cute. I got several comments tonight about how my room was very organized and bright. I like functional. For me, that means organized and clutter free. Matching and coordinating items help me feel less cluttered. I have 35 kids (mostly adult-sized) in my room. No room for fluff. If it is in my room, it serves a purpose.

I have had people here tell me my room was "too elementary" when I posted classroom slide shows. It's pretty consistent with the rest of the building.

I do it all on my own time, and my students are successful in class. My students perform well on state tests as well.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I think a few people are taking this thread the wrong way when it doesn't seem to be meant as an attack. I don't think anyone is saying the cute classrooms all over Pinterest and other sites are bad or wrong, just that they're not the norm and the internet sometimes makes it seem like they are. As long as the focus is learning and the extras come second, there's nothing wrong with that. When we keep seeing the same kind of classroom all over the internet, it's just good to remind ourselves that it's not always necessary. If that's what you WANT and you feel like it's not too much to handle, more power to you. If you're not into the cute stuff and can't find the time, that's okay too. I think that's the point of the thread.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

:thumb:

Definitely... I didn't mean for people to feel as if they had to defend their decor choices. In fact, my initial response to the blog post was: nobody should tell others how they should/shouldn't decorate their classrooms. Just as I wouldn't offer an unsolicited opinion on somebody's home decor, I wouldn't do it in their classroom, as for many teachers, their classrooms can be quite personal.

Teach the kids the best way you know. The rest will follow.
    :)

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

Like many others who have posted on this thread (a good one by the way), I need an organized neat classroom. I have a new room with only one real bulletin board which I've set up as Student Central (stole that idea from atoz). It is a bigger one than I've had in the past so I can fit more on it - I'll post lists of missing work on it as well as the lunch menu, times/dates for club meetings, etc. There is a table in front of that with the tissues, handcleaner, pencils, etc. I got rid of the bulky 9foot cabinet and put in three old science tables an a large book shelf along the opposite wall. I've resurfaced the tables with contact paper and am goign to make a skirt for each table - using self-stick velcro so I can hide the various items I am storing there. I too feel the room needs to be comfortable for me since I spend most of my day there. The neatness and organization helps create a calm atmosphere and helps me be more efficient. I have marveled at some of the classroom pics I've seen, but it isn't me so I don't invest time/money in it. The one wall where the three tables are is actually a sliding wall that is permanently closed and it has a surface similar to a bb. I'm going to try doing more anchor charts this year and they will take up most of the space there. I do have a few odd things around the room such as multiple clocks. This way a student can see a clock no matter where they are sitting. That way they don't have to be obviously watching the clock on the days they are not "into" the lesson. I will be adding a rug and some pillows in the bookshelf area for the kids to use.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 1, 2013

:yeahthat:

When I read the blog post, I first looked at the photos of her former classrooms for context. I wanted to know what she was talking about when she says her room was not concentrated on being "cute." Her classrooms were FAR from sterile and boring. They just weren't crammed full with useless decorations. They were organized, functional, and attractive. Because her OWN rooms were that way, I know that is not what she is referring to in the blog post, and that's not how I took it at all. She did not write it to be an attack on making your room look nice for the kids.

My room will look nice (when it exists - school is still under construction lol!) and I will spend a lot of time on it. I like things to match and I love color coordination. To me, this just reminded me to keep the major things major and the minor things minor, and to stop thinking that everything has to be themey and cutified and clever. That's FINE, it's just not me. The blog post was liberating to me, not condemning. I think people responding here are taking it the wrong way. :confused:

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I think as long as people think of how the decorations impact students and continue to understand that the extent and time of decorating is done for personal enjoyment (not work), then it is an ok thing to spend time on decorating. If that is part of your hobby, it can be a fine thing to do. However, when the time used for this personal enjoyment is used as a complaint about how many hours it takes to get your job done and how many hours in the summer must be spent to get ready for the classroom when much was "prettying" up things, then to me, this becomes a big red herring when it comes to the job the teacher must do.

If a teacher wants to coordinate and make things decorator style, that is fine, as long as that time isn't seen and claimed as "work hours" because it isn't required.

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

I haven't read through the article that generated this discussion but I didn't realize this is such an issue. Since my teaching experience is in the upper elementary grades, I have seen very little of the classroom environment in lower grades like kinder or first grade. Our school environment is very competitive for various reasons I can't go into so while we do have to consider how we approach the teaching environment, it's more important how we 'fine tune' our teaching methods to get results. However, some of us are required to follow certain guidelines such as having lots of student generated alphabets, student work and student generated anchor charts in our classroom.

I agree with some of the previous posts about focusing on being organized and wanting the room to look pleasant not only for the students but the teacher as well after all we spend more time there than at home. I like color and love to add my sense of 'style' in a way. In the days leading to the first week of school I focus on what my room needs to look like for me and my students but after that the focus becomes on what my teaching needs to be.

In the final analysis, I would like to think that my overall approach have served my students well.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

It's cute, but not over the top. I had a bit of a NYC theme going, but it only included a few things- the table names, the door decorations, the calendar area was called the "Daily News" with the logo from the NY Daily News. And my F & P tracker is a roadway where each letter is a different NYC landmark/building. I have some borders with city buildings on them.

I have a lot of labels and borders and letters for my word wall that were the same pattern, back with polka dots. So it matched, but there was plenty that didn't.

I have a second rug area with pillows that can be used for reading that is a little "cutesy" but it's real purpose is a teaching space for our small group (co-teaching) so it's completely functional too.

So basically anything I have that would be considered cute is completely functional.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

Pillows are not CUTESY!

Pillows are comfy reading spots. I have some kids that legitimately have trouble sitting in their seats all day. They need a space to work on the floor. :mad:

I like your NYC theme too. :wub:

I went in to school today and this thread made me all concerned about the cutesy level of my room, but when I got there I couldn't help but smile. :) I just really love it and my kids love it. I've decided that's all that matters. I do my job and learning occurs. Everyone else can mind their own business! :|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.