How could this have happened??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2011

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2011

On so many levels...horrible, horrible, horrible. :(

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 21, 2011

That is so horrible and so sad. :(

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2011

My first reaction to this was horror and disgust, but when I thought about it some, I wonder where they got the evidence, and is little kids running around nekkid really a "sex act?" I realize the second incident would be.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 21, 2011

can you give a brief description before I click the link?

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2011

TS-A teacher was present in a room with second graders, who took off their clothes and performed sex acts on each other.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 21, 2011

Teacher fired because her second graders were allowed to run around naked in the classroom and at least two of them engaged in activities that should be reserved for adults while she was in the classroom.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 21, 2011

KC...you do a much better job of writing concisely than I do.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 21, 2011

Holy macarena!

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2011

For my second-grade son it wouldn't be -- he doesn't register any shame from nudity at all.

He is rather odd that way, though. Most second-graders are not blase about lack of clothing.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2011

If the teacher knew this was going on, then that teacher needs to be in prison. If the teacher did not know it was going on, then that teacher needs to lose their credential.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 21, 2011

I got chills after reading this article--especially since it happened in a town that's only two hours away from me!

I'm speechless. I honestly can't even wrap my brain around this.

14. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jan 21, 2011

have you guys vetted this story.

Other news sources are claiming that ONE student reported the incident to his parents and officials are investigating.

A second-grade teacher in Northern California was placed on leave while the school investigates a report by a student that classmates engaged in oral sex and stripped off some of their clothes during class, officials said Friday.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/21/calif-school-eyes-report-sex-nd-graders/#ixzz1Bhx4aaHI

Ok so they are conducting an investigation BUT ktvu in San Francisco reports that a letter was sent home apologizing for the incidents. They are paraphrasing to sell this story as the letter actually says the alleged incident is under investigation and IF the allegations are true they will take steps to prevent... in the future...we apologize...

All I am saying is lets reserve judgement and remember this ALL started with one single child and the hysteria machine has taken it WAY out into the extreme before all the facts are in.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26565558/detail.html

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2011

That's what I was getting at - it sounds really horrible at first, but is this a case of a little boy who climbed under a table and put his head under a girls skirt? Were some kids running around and whipped their shirts off like my neighbors do all the time even in the snow? I just want to know what the source is before I jump to conclusions and trust the media not to spin a story.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2011

I don't know how they'll prove anything either way... I can't imagine interviewing the first grade children in that class will be very productive. Perhaps the teacher's past will shed light on this situation.

When I was in the sixth grade, two classmates who were considered "slow" but not necessarily special education students were under the science table during class playing with the other's privates. That teacher was wonderful, but it still happened.

Anyhow, I surely hope this isn't as horrible as it seems.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2011

:yeahthat:

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2011

I haven't read it-- I have a low tolerance for things like that, they tend to keep me up in the wee hours.

So I may be totally off base here.

But last week my 7 year old daughter stripped off all her clothes as a protest measure because a fever kept her from going to the movies.

Nothing sexual about it for her.

It doesn't make it appropriate for school, but she has no idea what a "sex act" is.

But Sarge seems to have it right.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 21, 2011

This reads like something from the National Inquirer. I can't imagine something like this going on in my class. We're too busy reading, writing, and doing 'rithmatic!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2011

No kidding.

Heck, even my kinders kept their clothes on!

NOW, I'm sure there may be more to this story. And, it could be just a minor thing totally blown out of proportion. I would hope, though, that if something sneaky was happening, that I would be given a chance to fight before being stripped of my credentials or fired. I've never had an issue as I have great classroom management, but kids can be sneaky.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 21, 2011

I don't know what to think. I have had students who have had accidents in the bathroom and came out with their pants around their ankles. I have had little boys pull their pants down on the playground to use the bathroom. This story makes me sick.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2011

I'm constantly telling students to "wear their clothes properly" whey they do stuff like pull their arms inside their shirts or put their hoodies on backwards. They need permission to so much as take their shoes off and then only when they are muddy.

When I think of students being sneaky, I think of eating without permission, having a toy, or maybe stealing an eraser off my desk. But if a student started disrobing in class, I think I'd notice. If I didn't, then I would reconsider my career choice as I'd have real situational awareness issues.

23. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2011

One thing a kid who is in the class' family member said is that there are coat closets in the classroom at that school. If it like other coat closets in buildings as old as that, the closet would definitely give a good hiding space. I would hope that the teacher would notice the children are missing. Sometimes though, it is easy to miss the fact a kid is missing. Maybe the teacher had the room poorly set up with closed off areas, who knows. If something like that were to happen to me I would hope people would wait until the investigation were done before hanging me.

I also require the children ask permission for shoe removal and tell the kids to keep there clothes on normal. But sometimes children do not do exactly what I want.

I am more saddened that such a thing would be plastered across the news in this manner. If a second grader truly was having oral sex with another child, hopefully the school has already contacted CPS and hopefully the fact it is all over the news has not alerted the parents or family members who may be sexually molesting the child and warned them to move out of the area.

24. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 21, 2011

The article is far too short and scant of details to really get a sense of the truth in this situation and separate it from the sensationalism.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2011

Actually, I should have clarified. By my comment, I meant to say that kids can be sneaky and if one was touching someone else's private parts, I would hope that they wouldn't automatically fire me or strip my credentials. Like, if it happened, underneath a table or desk.

26. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 21, 2011

If true, this is NOT normal for 2nd graders to do....