How common is this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. Rubble, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

For the first time in my 17 years of education, we have teachers from within our building that are being involuntarily transferred from our building. We are shocked and while we all knew that tenure meant a position, not a specific location or grade level, it just hasn't happened like this before. Needless to say, those teachers are really upset.

Is this a common practice in your all's districts?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 10, 2011

I've only seen it happen once. There was a teacher at my school who caused a lot of problems for teachers, students, and parents. After years and years of complaints to the district office (by everyone), the head honchos finally decided to transfer her to another site for the upcoming school year (same grade level/different school). This change should alleviate a lot of the drama at our school.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2011

If the numbers fluctuate, people may have to move. My district has a policy for people who would like to transfer, but admin has the ultimate call.

Only rarely is someone moved for a reason other than student numbers.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

I remember as a sub one year the teacher's were "shaken" up by different moves the principal made within the school. (They were changed to different grades).

6. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 10, 2011

I've only been teaching 6 years and have seen it happen quite a bit at my school. It's always based on student numbers and usually the last one hired at the school is the first one to be transferred.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

I have not seen that too much in my district. We have taken other people from the district next year, but it was only because there were positions cut at their school while we were hiring. These people also stilll had to go through our hiring process, they weren't just automatically transferred. We are a really big district and I think that keeps it from happening a lot. In smaller districts everyone knows everyone so it tends to happen more. My dad's been at his district for over 20 years and been transferred twice. Both times, it was because he was doing so well that they sent him to underperforming schools who "needed his help." Both times, he ended up happier at the new school anyway although it was very upsetting at first. His district often transfers people that the P just doesn't get along with as well, or they'll transfer people they simply don't like hoping they'll get mad and leave on their own. My dad always says if they ever get upset with him, they'll move him to the highschool. One of my friends works for the district we attended as students. She worked at an elementary this year, and the rumor mill (my best friends mom also works at this school) says that she and the P didn't really see eye to eye. They switched her and a teacher at the middle school. The middle school teacher had been there over 15 years, and is NOT happy to be suddenly switched to an elementary. That district also moved a ton of middle school teachers down to 4th or 5th grade, because they refuse to hire anyone with the new state certifications (k-3,4-9, they will only hire older people with k-8) and they needed people to cover those grades. All in all, they moved over 30 people this year.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2011

It's not very common here, but that's mainly because we don't have that many places to move. We have one high school, one middle school, and two elementary schools. Most people don't have certification to move between schools.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2011

It's not happening here... yet... but they always say it's a possibility. It really makes me nervous because my campus is a special "program". If we ever get cut, they'll have to farm us out to the other schools. :(

10. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

I hope that your program is never cut!!!

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 10, 2011

It hasn't happened at my school, the involuntary transfers, but it could always be considered a possibility.

12. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 10, 2011

It happened in my school and district this year! They moved 80% of the teaching staff out to the other buildings in the district! All part of the administration plan for "realignment"!! Our school was hit very hard, while others in the district were't hit as hard! We were just told the prinicipals have the right of assignment, so there was nothing that we could do about it! So they broke up strong grade levels and friendships, one principal finally came out and told us that was their formula!

13. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Jun 10, 2011

It's definitely common in my District. Your Job is NEVER secure at one school, I guess it's just where they need a teacher to be placed right away.

But what I do like is that, you can appeal your transfer and they (Central Office) will review it.

14. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 11, 2011

lots of moves this year at my district. Some forced state "restructuring" Gotta love NCLB

Some are considered vindictive and the union is looking into it.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2011

This is extremely common locally - not just in my district. They move people as they need it, just like employees for big corporations are transferred from stores. We are district employees, not individual school employees, so they can transfer you within a school or to another school. For adult school teachers, they can even change us from days to nights or vice versa. It can be uncomfortable for the employee but they are looking at the greater good - hopefully - okay this may be naive.:unsure:

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

I've seen it in both districts where I have taught. I have seen people moved due to personality conflicts and due to enrollment changes. The worst is when reasons (that are untrue) are given for transfers. I think they should at least have the courtesy to be honest. ;)