How common is it not to be asked back?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Sagette, Jun 11, 2007.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

How do they pay? ANy idea?

2. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 21, 2007

I will get a salary along with benefits, discount to a health club and other perks. I will also get a company car and I am assuming that they will pay for the insurance. They also offer bonuses. The base salary is not too bad with all the perks that you get, not to mention use of a car with no car payments. If I get the job, the pay will be like a starting teacher salary since I do not have any sales experience.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

Give it a little more time, honestly, after my first year.. I didn't have the confidence to step back in the classroom. I was scared and felt like a failure. If you think teaching is something you can do well at... then don't give up.
    I have to say though, I'm making a lot more now than I did as a teacher,and I'm a case manager for the disabled. I know I don't want to stay in my current job forever, but it is so flexible and I work 4 days a week.... it's kind of nice.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck. Remember, your family is most imprortant- so choose with everyone in mind.

4. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Yeah I agree, I wouldnt mind doing something else education related if its not in the classroom, but I dont know what my options are or what one can really do...while still staying in the field.

Ive thought about that also...I looked into Harcourt...but I cant remember if they pay off commission or not. Either way...it sounded like I would need to make contacts myself and I don't think Im that good at that...although quite a few people tell me Id make a good salesman. I wouldnt mind learning about various textbook series and the like and showing them off for a company....just getting to that point is the issue. If they ahd contacts for me and I could call and set stuff up..that would be alot easier instead of walking into various schools all over and trying to sell a product.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2007

I did some freelance educational writing last year. Some "item writing" (making up questions for a test prep site) and some writing for a math textbook.

Why not google "educational freelance writing" and see what comes up??

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

7. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Alice, did you actually do this one...seems interesting. I don't have a background in science...but I would love to do proofreading and making corrections and the like.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2007

No, I stopped doing freelance when I went back to work last fall.

That one was posted within the last week or so.

I did freelance for about a year and a half. One company gave me a fax machine, provided me with Microsoft Office and paid me ever 2 weeks for 6 months... they even gave me a holiday bonus.

There actually is a lot out there. And if you look into writing for textbooks, the money can be really good.