How common is it not to be asked back?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Sagette, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I have see a few threads where teachers have not been asked back for next year and was wondering how common it is? What are some of the reasons you may be given for not being asked back? What are some things you can do to improve your chances of being asked back? Can you survive not being asked back from one school district to find work in another?

The reason that I am interested is that this is the first year that I have seen or heard of several teachers not being asked back. The one time I actually knew someone who was not asked back, it was obvious that the teacher wasn't cutting it, so I just assumed that if you did a really great job, it wasn't something to worry about. Now, I am beginning to think differently.

I did a search, but only threads that posters mentioned not being asked back came up.

3. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

It depends on the area. In some places you have to be really bad in order to not recieve a contract for the following year. In others it could mean that you didn't get along with the administrators or they didn't like the specific way you taught (even if there was nothing wrong with it).

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 11, 2007

This is the first year that I've had to ask someone not to come back. Usually, I find that both the teachers & administrators get a sense that something isn't quite right in terms of fit. For this particular teacher, we had been strugggling for a few years to make things work, but they just weren't quite right. It was time to make a break.

She's a great person, and we get along fine... there are just things that happen in the classroom that show how our philosophies differ, and we've had lots of discussions about it.

We will give her a great reference, and wish her the best of luck. She's not being fired, and it's up to her how she portrays the break to everyone else. Hopefully, she'll find something that is right for her.

The only thing I can say to improve your chances of being asked back is to work on all the goals your administrators have for you--and be very obvious about it. Also, you want everything you do in the classroom to show that you are following the school's philosophy--and that you agree with it. You want to be nice, play nice, pitch in when needed, volunteer, and generally be indispensible (especially if you're in a saturated field).

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 11, 2007

Sometimes it could be budget related too.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 11, 2007

Some schools routinely cut all teachers who have taught for two years or less. It is really common for first year teachers to be asked to reinterview for their same job, even though it is known that 99% will get their same job back.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 11, 2007

It's probably more common than we think that new teachers aren't asked back. Years ago, it's looked upon so negatively, but hopefully, these days, districts are more lenient when looking to hire prospective teachers who weren't hired back at their last district.

Although I never knew the real reason I wasn't asked back & probably never will know, I'm pretty sure that I know why & it's a really unfair situation.

8. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 11, 2007

In my district, it is left up to the type of contract the teacher gets. Depending on population/growth projections and available funding, positions may be offered either as Standard or One Year Only, the difference being that One Year Only contracts do not renew year after year and Standards do. For my first year, I will have 9 formal observations. If I perform satisfactory or better on all 9, I will become post-probationary...in which case it is tough to get rid of the teacher. If I do not perform satisfactory or better, I will remain probationary for an additional year. After the second year, if I am still performing below satisfactory, the district does not have to renew the contract. It's very performance based at first, even for those of us with a standard contract, but after the probationary period there is a lot of paperwork to take a teacher out of their position.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2007

In my previous district, I was given one year only contracts two years in a row. I had to reinterview every year for 4 years. I finally got fed up with getting so stressed out in May and June and gathering all my resumes, applications etc, that I switched districts where they offer continuing contracts. I just got my contract in the district mail for next year!! So cool that I don't have to interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 12, 2007

:eek: NINE formal observations! I have had three observations each of my years teaching (2 formal and 1 informal) and I stressed about that! I'm really surprised that the admin has time to do that many observations.

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 12, 2007

I think it depends on the district and the jobs that they have to offer. There are certain positions that may be continuing and others that aren't. It just depends on which one you get hired to teach. Sometimes it takes a few non-continuing jobs before you are hired permanently. After that, it's pretty hard to lose your position although you can be moved grade levels and/or rooms at any time.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 12, 2007

Here it is very common for non-tenured teachers not to be hired back. It's usually a funding issue. We're often cut staff positions. Sometimes those positions are available the following year, and sometimes not.

I was not given a contract three times before I got my job. The first time the school went to block scheduling, and they didn't need as many staff. The next time I was only working a temporary position. The third time a teacher returned from a leave of absence. That year, however, they did tell me that they'd have something for me to do somewhere in the district if I'd stay, so I did. At the end of that year, I was given my continuing contract.

Here you're usually offered a continuing contract after you complete your fourth year. I have known two people who were NOT given a continuing contract at that time, and they all had issues to work with before the school felt comfortable giving them a long-term contract.

13. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I am finishing my first year teaching and I did not get asked back. I don't know why I did not get my job back. The Principal told me that she did not know why they told her to let me go, but I think that she is lying. I think that she did not like me. She told me in November that she thought that I was a bad teacher and that I did not have a job the next year. Over half the school was confused about the situation.

I worked very hard to keep my job. I came to the school before the school year ended last year and started planning with the 4th grade teachers. I planned form May to August for 4th grade and had lesson plans for the first semester. Two weeks before school started she told me I would be teaching 2nd grade. The Assistant Principal and two lead teachers saw me teach the most and they said that I improved through out the school year. I am happy that I was hired in GA for next year. The pricipals have control over who gets fired in the county where I worked.

14. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

The only thing I can say to improve your chances of being asked back is to work on all the goals your administrators have for you--and be very obvious about it. Also, you want everything you do in the classroom to show that you are following the school's philosophy--and that you agree with it. You want to be nice, play nice, pitch in when needed, volunteer, and generally be indispensible (especially if you're in a saturated field).
    This is exactly what I did this year. I did everything that I was trained to do, volunteered, etc, was observed, and nothing was mentioned about anything I needed to improve. My annual review was fine, though not glowing. I was a long term sub all year in 2 different positions. It is a long story, but there are/were 2 positions in the grade I taught and I am not being considered. I think the principal did not like me for some reason, though she never said anything specifically, and did say that I could use her as a reference. I was complimented by many teachers on how well I did this year. Who knows. By the way, the principal was fired, but is still interviewing and hiring people b4 her end date of June 30. How does that work? Is there anything I can do?

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 12, 2007

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

It is a touchy situation. I dont think anyone knows what is going on as far as a new principal. I already email the asst super. and told her I was aware of the position and how qualified I am for it. THe principal was supposed to be rehired this year, but was denied by the Board. I can't believe she is interviewing for next year!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 12, 2007

I had no idea how many different kinds of contracts there were for teachers. I don't want to work in a field where I have to stress & fight to keep my job every single year for at least the next several years. It's a shame really.

That's what I was thinking too!...NINE! This is my very first year of teaching & my principal only did TWO formal observations all year. Then, my BTSA (Beginning Teacher Student Assessment) teacher gave about 4 informal observations, which had no effect on whether I'm let go or not.

In the districts in my area, these days the cost of living is so astronomical that people are moving out to other places, which results in decreased student enrollment, so that's another reason why new teachers aren't coming back.

18. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

I don't like the idea of teachers feeling like they have to kiss the administrators toes in order to keep their jobs.

I didn't realise how lucky I was to start out my career in a district that allowed academic freedom and dissension and progress from it's new teachers. I could not have been non-renewed without cause (they didn't need a lot, but they needed cause). I was such a better teacher my second year than my first and embraced the critiques I was given by my principal.

Even in places where there is a surplus of teachers they should be working with teachers to improve as opposed to saying BYE! All these babyboomers will die or retire someday (in theory, some will live forever) and there is going to be a massive teacher shortage if schools are tossing teachers out of the profession that want to be there and improve as teachers.

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Teaching is much more cut throat than I had originally thought. I went into this field to get away from the politics I had to deal with in corporate world only to find out that it doesn't really go away.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I just finished my first year teaching. All probationary teachers in my district have to have three formal evaluations, and each evaluation is based on three unscheduled observations. That meant that my supervising administrator was in my room 9 times during the year.

I was lucky enough to get glowing evaluations all three times, which meant that my principal recommended that I be switched to post-probationary (a lot like tenure, I guess, which my district doesn't have) for next year. Woot!

21. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 13, 2007

Your comments struck a chord with me. You say that you embraced the critiques from your principal. I think that's what's key here. You can embrace the critiques and keep your job, or ignore them and lose it. No toe kissing required.

Pretty much every single teacher at my school is less than 3 years out of college, so I realize there's going to be missteps and growth along the way. It's the teachers who are reflective and willing to grow who I want to keep around.

It's the complacent teachers who don't listen to critique, don't want to change, don't grow, and disagree with our philosophy who we don't want to stay. I'll take a few screw-ups with a positive attitude any day!

22. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

MSWK- Maybe you can answer this...By the way, the principal was fired, but is still interviewing and hiring people b4 her end date of June 30. How does that work? Is there anything I can do?

23. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 13, 2007

Somebody has to do the interviewing, and they can't pay for two principals at once. I say go to the central office on July 1. Good luck!

24. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

There are many principals that make decisions the first month of the year and that's how it goes. They don't give bad evaluations, they just take advantage of the "temporary contract" to not bother with people that don't fit their mold on the first day.

25. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

To respond to the original post, I was "let go" after my first year at a school. Part of it was because they dropped from 5 4th grade sections to only 3 next year. It is VERY common around here that all non-tenured teachers are "let go" each year. Some will get their positions back, but some are just cut (like me) because of sections being smaller or budget issues. I can't wait to be tenured and have some job security. It's so frustrating and stressful to start over with the job search, especially having your own classroom and being complimented about your teaching skills as well as working your tushy off!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

When you are non-tenured you need to be vigilant about the numbers- how many people are out on maternity or other leave, how many might come back, how many may retire, did the budget pas...all of this plays into howmany teachers are retained each year. Add this to which non-tenured teachers went the extra mile, which ones did excellent jobs in their classrooms with their kids (which ones didn't....)
    In my district there has been at least 3 retirements per year for the past 10 years. People go out on maternity and don't always come back. And in the last 2 years 3 people were let go because they weren't great..... So all in all it's not that common in my district for people not to get asked back- and when they aren't asked back it's generally their own fault. That's the way it is in my district- in other districts it's more common with RIFs due to declining enrollment or budget constraints.

27. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

I agree with your statement. I am one who didn't fit the principals mold. I never had a bad evaluation and I was never written up. Still I was let go before others who had been hired after me. The only reason I was given was "Numbers".

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 13, 2007

Same here. I believe that my principal had this plan since day 1, which involved not hiring me back for year 2. I didn't get bad evaluations, but I was never told that something wasn't right w/ suggestions on how to fix it. I was simply told that I wasn't a good fit for their school. Ouch!

29. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

I had that at my second job. I regretted that I was stupid enough to tell them that I was pregnant before my first evaluation.

It ended up better in the end (I stayed home) and I can't prove anything, but being told that you're not being hired back because the principal wanted someone that taught differently and having only recieved one negitive comment (which I id fix) it makes you wonder when you're being told when you're seven months pregnant that you'll have to reinterview for your job after you give birth.

30. ssteacher

ssteacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

I wasn't asked back and wasn't given a reason. I never really felt like I fit in at the school, but the parents seemed happy with me. Many expressed sadness when I told them. In Chicago, over 700first or second year teachers were not asked back for the fall. The press release given to the newspapers claimed it was due to poor performance and lack of classroom management. It's funny though, because the packet I was given when told included mostly information on how to get a new job in the same district. If these teachers (myself included) are really not performing well and lack classroom management, then why are we invited to work at a different school in the same district? I guess this is how it goes in the field...until you have tenure.

31. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

Sometimes I wish they did away with tenure...then maybe there wouldn't be so much politics???

32. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

It would be worse without tenure. Principals firing entire schools full of teachers when they move into a building.

33. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 17, 2007

I think it depends on the district. I didnt get a chance to read all the replies on here. ( I will later this morning)..but Im sure there are a bunch of factors.

I should know...I myself wasn't asked to come back next year, my contract wasn't renewed. This is my second year teaching and my first year was in K...this year was in 4th. I made some mistakes in grading and documentation that nobody brought to my attention until I asked a question in the middle of the school year. Then holy fire came down on my wazoo. I didnt have grades for some subjects because when I asked people I was supposed to ask, because I hadnt covered them as much as I wanted...(purposly not giving out details here)...I was told that we covered those subjects more in the latter part of the school year and just give the students a grade of a B. My grading for Reading and Writing was subjective (didn't know of a better way, nor was I told how to do it). I also didnt have a paper copy of my gradebook...although I never was told to have one...I guess I had too much hope in the computers?

I wasn't trying to make all these mistakes and didn't know what was going on until it was too late...my boss gave me no hope and told me that even if I did everything he wanted (although I had no improvement plan from him for documentation) his decision would still be difficult. I dramatically changed and asked as many people for advice when I needed it. I taught everything every week so I was covered and tried to get grades for everything, every week. I kept a paper gradebook and had good grading practices for Reading (RR, Comp, Vocab...as according to my boss) and Writing (6 traits).

My boss never came to me with concerns that I wasn't improving...and he hardly came into my room. I dont know when the heck my final evaluation was. He just brought me in and my wife together at the same time to tell us that we both werent being brought back (wife had a different position). He said hers was lack of funding. He offered no help in trying to help her get a position elsewhere in the district, making her the only one in the district who lost their position due to funding...the only one not to have a job for next year. Other positions opened up in the building and she wasnt even granted an interview.

All I know is that I didnt move out into the middle of nowhere and make plans to live her for a long time...only to get canned. Now Im in a funk and don't really know what I want to do next year.

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

It saddens me that so many have to deal with negative feedback from principals. In our district one has to do very poorly in order not to get asked back. New teachers are given mentors to help them in their first two years of teaching. Teachers may not be asked back because of numbers or not being certified.

35. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

To the people who have been kicked loose for specious or unknown reasons: Do you belong to a teacher association? Usually, even if a contract is probationary or provisional, even if the association can't do anything about the termination, they can find out WHY for you.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2007

I belong to the CTA & my union president is well aware that I can be told anything & will probably never know the real reason for not being rehired.

37. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 18, 2007

Wow! Didn't you have a "support provider" or mentor to help you work through situations like that? That's the main purpose of induction programs! (I understand, though, that not all states have same requirements.) My SP's responsibility, besides assisting with specific projects and deadlines, was to be sure my head was above water--she answered questions, checked on me frequently, and was available to assist if I needed her in any way. It wasn't always easy to find time to meet or talk, but we managed it well enough. I am so sorry that you did not have that kind of support in your first two years...

38. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I did have a mentor but we just never talked. Like I told my principal when he brought that up...I mentioned that the only time we talked was when I went to ask them a question (them meaning that person...I only had one). On rare occasion, my mentor would pop their head into my room and ask me if everything was going ok. Rumor has it that mentors are given a binder of stuff to go over...heck if we ever went over anything in that book. I never had questions to ask becuase I never really thought about what I was doing was wrong or incorrect. From what it seemed..since I never asked questions, they felt I was OK and didnt need any help. Also...alot of the things that I was told...came back to bite me in the whazoo.

My first year...I did get some support...I think it was just too much though. I mean...I had no experience whatsoever in K and I pummeled my other K teacher with questions because I seriously had no clue at all. She was ok and helped me out tremendously but still I could tell I must have been getting on her nerves at times. But I did all I could; I asked my principal if I could still transfer somewhere else before i was moved to K and he told me no. I reminded him I had no experience in K and was not comfortable with it and he acknowledged that...but thats pretty much it. By the years end...I was doing OK I guess...but I still wanted to be back in 4th grade. This year was that chance and basically I was a first year teacher all over again with no knowledge of my districts expectations or anything else. And unfortunately, the only way I found out...was when it was pointed out to me by my boss that I wasn't doing such.

39. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

MisterG,

I'm so sorry about your situation. This should be a red flag for new teachers!!!!- if you feel you need help, do everything possible to advocate for yourself. Do not rely on a mentor.

Best of luck with your new job search.

40. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Thats the thing...I didnt think I needed help or was messing up...so I didnt ask...grr, lol.

Thanks for your reply. However...my thing is that I dont even know if I want to teach next year. Ive been pondering this for.....since February pretty much. Ive thought about doing something else...but then again...I dont know what I could do, lol.

I've thought about starting my own business. Wouldnt mind selling education supplies via a website on the net...but I dont think Id be that profitable with all the other huge companies out there. Ive thought about buying a truck and hauling other cars and stuff around on a trailer...but I dont even know what that is called.

I like teaching...but this year really stressed me out big time and my wife told me a few times that she could tell I wasnt the same person.

41. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 21, 2007

MisterG, I am totally worried about finding a teaching job also. I applied for a job selling books with an publishing company. It is in their educational books department. I will be the regional sales person, so 30% of the job will be traveling, and youhave to work from home job. The head office is on the other side of the country. They will provide a company car, fax machine, business line, printer and laptop... It sounds great but I am no sales person. I hope my teaching experience and my being able to relate my teaching experiences to using the textbooks will help me in getting the job. I will meet with schools and school boards... I do hate the fact that I will not have any co-workers (only me and the boss and the other sales person who will be living 4 hours away and working the bottem half of our province) and that I will be working from home, but it is a job and it will be a learning experience.