How common is it for your students to swear?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sid, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

Apr 8, 2015

I was just wondering is it very common for students to swear it is it more of a minority that swear. I am about to go into elementry education so I was just wondering another question is are most students you know nice respectful people and the students that misbehave lots a minority? Would you say the good students outweigh the bad ones and how common is swearing amoung students?

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 8, 2015

In elementary school? I'd say it'll be rare. I teach urban high schoolers and even with them, swearing AT someone is rare. I do get a lot of "slips" where students are talking to each other and the curse words pop up. When called on it, though, they're generally quick to apologize and watch their tongues.

Best friend who teaches elementary school says she's gotten a "f--- you" once from a 5th grader in 10 years and his parents were horrified and dealt with it swiftly.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2015

I have heard it quite often when I taught SPED, not often in the regular classroom.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 8, 2015

When I taught kindergarten I would have kids come to me and say so & so said the s word. I've learned to ask which s word: shut-up, stupid or Sh*!.

Other then that, it's a few words a year. Usually when someone's mad.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

Much more common in SPED, and it isn't a little swearing, either. When you get the oppositional defiance and couple it with other emotional or behavioral disorders, you can have a very colorful class, to be certain. So much less a problem in regular ed, although the community norm may come into play.

7. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 8, 2015

My 4th graders from a Title I school swore all. the. time. It was really bad. One boy in particular would swear in Spanish and assume I didn't understand. I distinctly remember a different boy running in from recess, pointing a finger at a classmate, and swearing at the top of his lungs There were a couple boys who would rip the behavior chart off the wall and swear when their color was changed. (I don't believe in behavior charts anymore.)

Sorry, I'm kind of traumatized, and it was my first year when I was learning how to manage behavior. But I think it depends on where you work -- if you're in a bad area, you're more likely to see swearing. I also agree with the oppositional/defiant thing, that will definitely impact the degree of swearing and bad behavior. My current group of 1st graders have only sworn a few times, and it was as another poster described -- "so-and-so said the S word..." or "he put his hand up with the bad finger, you know, like this!"

There always tend to be more well-behaved students than badly-behaved students, at least when there is a good behavior management system in place. Most kids are good-hearted, want to do well, and want you to be proud of them -- even the worst behaved students tend to want the same things, but go about it the wrong way.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2015

My third graders think 'hate' and 'stupid' are bad words.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 10, 2015

It depends on the culture of the community you serve paired up with what's acceptable and taught at home. I've seen it more common with in sped. We have one kid in gen ed in 4th who curses up a storm and says innapropriate things everyday. The kids in the class don't even pay any mind to it anymore, and luckily don't copy the behavior.

My 5th graders will occasionally curse when they think we aren't listening but it doesn't happen often. I had one kid curse in Spanish at the beginning of the year and he thought I didn't know what it meant. He tried to play it off like I was stupid because I'm not fluent. Little does he know, I know ALL curse words in Spanish including slang and I may not be fluent but I understand 90% of the language as I'm spanish. I brought him to the other teacher on my grade who is fluent in Spanish and asked him to repeat what he said. Caught red-handed! I told him that I'm not stupid, and if he tries that again it's a conversation to be had with his parents. The kid has used model language ever since. lol.

Some of the books in my school provided library have the 3 letter A word. I only know because I have kids that'll tell me when they come across it. They know it's bad. I tell them as they reach higher levels books will have more adult content, but as long as they understand that and can be mature about it, it's not a problem.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 10, 2015

It depends on what kind of school you're at. I've taught at schools where kids considered shut up as the worst thing anyone could say, and other schools where I heard some new combinations of swear words. It may not always be this way, but for me, the difference was the economic differences between the schools.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 10, 2015

This.

I teach middle school sped. They don't curse AT me, but they have a very casual vocabulary with their friends. :rolleyes:

I pick my battles.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2015

My second graders claim that some of their classmates swear, but I never actually hear them. I have one little boy who reminds me of Kenny from Southpark. He's very quite and completely non-assuming, and yet the kids will come to me claiming that he has said some rather words and phrases. I have never once heard any of it myself.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2015

I'm in a Title 1 and I haven't heard it much at all in my classroom. Literally can count on one hand.

Now, this does not include "OMG" spelled out. I'm rather religious, so I do consider that a swear word, but I know that many don't.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 13, 2015

Every year someone slips up and repeats something they heard on a video game or something their parents have said. I just remind them that it's not okay to say those words at school, and generally the problem is solved.

One year I had a kid who told other kids to f*** off more than once. I made him call home and tell his mom what he'd said.

For the most part, though, "shut up" is still pretty offensive and the word "hate" is devastating.