How common is it for Kindergarteners/1st graders to have potty accidents?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DCT2019, Jun 18, 2021.

1. DCT2019

DCT2019 New Member

Jun 18, 2021

I'm 23. I remember when I was in first grade, I had an accident in class where I pooped my pants. I was a very shy child, and I was too afraid to ask the teacher if I could use the restroom. This was the only accident I had. How often do these type of accidents occur in elementary school?

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jun 19, 2021

It still happens occasionally in first grade.

4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jun 19, 2021

It's more common in K than in 1st, but my students still had a few accidents in 1st grade. Maybe around 2/year? My data may be skewed though, because one accident was on a field trip where we were too far from the restroom when the child realized how badly they needed to go, and another was actually a frequent flier and major behavior struggle who eventually started doing it on purpose.

So not common, but also not unusual.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2021

My 1st year, a kid told me her chair was leaking! ( 1st grade) :) After that, I was as accommodating as I could be for the next 30 yrs when it came to using the bathroom. Still over a 30 yr time frame, I'd guess I had less than 10 kids who had accidents. ( Mostly in 3rd grade.) All except 1 just peed.

6. s20890

s20890 Rookie

Jul 27, 2021

It is not unusual BUT if multiple kids in your class are having accidents on the same day or if the same kid keeps having accidents, you probably need to schedule more consistent bathroom breaks. For students having multiple accidents, insist that they go in and try to use the bathroom before going anywhere (lunch, recess, special, field trip, etc.). Many kids have accidents because they are afraid to ask to use the bathroom or are doing something too enjoyable (recess, centers) to want to take the time to stop and use the bathroom.

Also, make sure each of the students brings in a change of clothes at the beginning of the year for accidents to keep in the classroom. Email their parents when they have an accident that soiled clothes are coming home and a new change of clothes for the classroom is needed.

7. Edith

Edith New Member

Aug 26, 2021

I completely agree with what's been said above. Kids in first grade are almost always fully toilet trained but sometimes, accidents happen. I remember there was one kid in my class who was too shy to raise her hand and ask to go to the toilet, so she had an peeing accident as soon as the bell rang.
    Asking parents to give a change of clothes, and ensuring that on Day 1, you tell your class that they're free to use the toilet whenever they need to, helps prevent accidents.