How common are cart teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 10, 2019

How many people on here do not have their own classroom? I am on my 5th year as a cart teacher and it is getting old fast.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 10, 2019

I'm not, but every year I've taught there have been teachers on a cart at my school.

Geologygirl likes this.
  4. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 10, 2019

How long do they remain cart teachers before getting a room? Also do you share your room

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 10, 2019

We don't have any strictly cart teachers here, but almost every teacher shares a room, except for the one oldest teacher in the department. Every teacher also has to leave their room and teach in another for a period or two so it's fair. Some teachers bring a cart with them for those one or two periods they are out of their rooms, but for me, it's more trouble than it's worth so I just throw everything in my bag.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2019

I think it is common for high school teachers to share rooms. My friend teaches off of a cart and it is tough for her to stay organized.

Geologygirl likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 11, 2019

Cart teachers?! Lol!

I can’t believe this is a thing. Completely unacceptable.

Leaborb192 and Geologygirl like this.
  8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 11, 2019

We don't have any. But where I went to high school we had college-style scheduling, so no teacher had their own room. Every teacher had an office, but taught in whatever classroom best fit the course.

bella84 and Geologygirl like this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 11, 2019

When I started teaching, it was very common for high school teachers to travel. I’m not sure they have that issue any longer because they added several classrooms.

I shared a room for several years at my middle school. I was part time, and I shared a room with an itinerant teacher.

Geologygirl likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 11, 2019

A quarter of our smaller school's teachers are on cart, technically, although it amounts to using empty classrooms when available. Do they love it? No.

Geologygirl likes this.
  11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 11, 2019

It depends upon the school, subject and enrollment. I'd say that four years has been the longest I've personally seen. We have a pretty high turnover of staff so when someone with a room leaves, those on a cart get first dibs before new hires. Generally.

I've had to share my room lots of times. It's not easy but I'm sure it is easier than travelling myself.

Geologygirl likes this.
  12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 12, 2019

Very common, here. Often specials are on a cart, especially in smaller schools that lack space. We are lucky that my school has rooms for Art, Music, and Language right now. However, they're talking of adding 2 homerooms to 2 different grade levels and I suspect Art and Language will go to a cart next year. (Unless they magically plan an annex I know nothing about.)

Geologygirl likes this.
  13. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 13, 2019

I have an office which I share with 3 other teachers but don’t have my own classroom. Students go to different classrooms for every lesson depending on what lesson it is. I quite like it that way. I’m not obliged to “decorate” any room which I think I would loathe to do. Hats off to teachers who do that every year but that’s not me.

Geologygirl likes this.
  14. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 13, 2019

My first time ever hearing such a thing.

futuremathsprof and Geologygirl like this.
  15. Kardinal

Kardinal Rookie

Mar 13, 2019

Me too...

futuremathsprof and Geologygirl like this.
  16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2019

We have 7 of our teachers, including the French and ELL teachers, without classrooms. All have shared office space in one of 3 locations and usually teach in the students' classrooms. There are two shared spaces for pullout groups. We are bursting at the seams in our building--even though the school is less than 6 years old. There simply is no available space to provide non-homeroom teachers with classrooms, even though admin wishes that there was. We have 2 portables this year and will be adding at least 1 more next year, simply to accommodate homeroom classes.

Geologygirl likes this.
  17. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 13, 2019

When I was in HS, cart teachers were plentiful. There were departments for the core courses. Imagine cubicles in a school! I remember science classes being located based on whether it was "lab day" or not.

Geologygirl likes this.
  18. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 13, 2019

I have been dreaming about the ability to decorate a room since I started. It is not just that, but having the ability to set up routines like where kids go to find work they have missed, make bulletin boards, post key terms, or hang up student work. We are suppose to share but sharing equates to one small empty desk drawer and sometimes a shelf in a cabinet for kids to store thier books. If I want to put up student work the only place left are a few cabinet doors and sometimes the end (table to floor) of a lab station. We also share an office and desks and computers, but only some people share computers, others dont even though they are suppose to and already have a room. The whole thing is getting old fast.

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 13, 2019

You can come decorate my room. I used to co-teach, and my co-teacher was really into that stuff. I can't be bothered. My room is just simple and free of clutter.

20. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 13, 2019

Sounds fun actually

21. skyline

skyline Companion

Mar 15, 2019

Around here, I've seen Art, Music, and Computer teachers use carts, because they don't have a room. I've never seen other kinds of teachers without a room. When I subbed for the Special cart teachers, it was a pain having a classroom on wheels, especially wheeling around open paint cups across door jam bumps in the floor.

22. dejohnpence

dejohnpence New Member

May 31, 2019

Every teacher also has to leave their room and teach in another for a period or two so it's fair.
    Redtube Beeg Spankbang

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  23. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 1, 2019

Same here, except for the most veteran teachers.

24. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2019

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 2, 2019

All of our STEAM teachers and part-time reading teachers are itinerant. They do not have their own classrooms and share space. We just don’t have room for all the extra staff members.

26. futuremathsprof

Jun 2, 2019

Why do hire more staff members than you have space available?

What is the population of your school? Mine is ~2,750 with about 120 staff members and we have more than enough room for everyone to have their own classroom.

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 2, 2019

Our school is too small for the number of students we’re supposed to be serving. It’s a district office issue that I have no control over.

28. futuremathsprof

Jun 2, 2019

Thank you for clarifying! Understood.

29. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jun 3, 2019

There are no cart teacher (as this thread described) at my school district, although some special education teachers in the middle schools and high schools have their own mobile carts with materials to take to the Inclusion classes. To clarify, these SPED teachers do have their offices and classrooms.

30. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 3, 2019

I student taught that way years ago. I promised myself to never again do that! It's hard.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 3, 2019

The only cart teacher we have is the art teacher.

32. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 3, 2019

I finally get a home-based room next year. We still share some periods but at least I can set up a classroom and get more than a drawer in someone eles room.

MrsC likes this.
  33. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Jun 4, 2019

I have never understood why anyone thinks it's ok for an ART teacher to be on a cart. Art and science have the most materials, and the classroom management depends heavily on how those materials are handled. Art teachers get treated way too poorly.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 4, 2019

2 specials teachers share a room so for half the year one teacher gets the room and the other teacher gets the cart. We had to convert the art room into a classroom a few years ago.

35. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 4, 2019

It started out on a rotation basis in my school, but then principals would use it as a weapon - never giving them a room - to get teachers they didn't care for to resign. (I'm not saying that's the case in your instance)