How CO2 in the Classroom Can Disrupt a Lesson

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Obadiah, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 30, 2019

John Tesh mentioned this on his radio program a few days ago and I had to look it up. Wow! Rather than disruptive students, the air we breathe can be distracting to the lesson. Should this one study eventually prove accurate, rather than nodding off like adults might do (see picture in article), I can see kids, whose frontal lobes are still developing, fighting their brain drain by restlessly fidgeting or whispering. I can see crowded cafeterias full of test takers not achieving the total percentile possible.

John Tesh suggested, and I agree, a simple solution might be to open a window, even if only for a few minutes, or take more breaks out of the room. There's not much else for a teacher to do to combat this type of disruption. I mean, we can't vacuum up all the air in the room and send it to the principal's office.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...a-crowded-room-can-make-you-dumber-180948052/

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 30, 2019

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to test it out this week. (I live in an area of the nation where we have weather that supports window opening.)

Obadiah likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2019

I worked for a time in a new built school. Every classroom had a CO2 monitor on the wall. It had a numerical and coloured display. First thing in the morning before the kids arrived it would read something like 350 to 400 ppm and the display would be green. If the windows were closed at the end of a 1 hour lesson it may be reading 700 to 800 ppm and the display would be orange. One time it reached 2000 ppm (it was a lab and we were using the Bunsens) and went red. There was no alarm but we opened the window and braved the freezing wind for a few minutes and it went back to orange. No idea why they were installed, the kids were loopy no matter what the CO2 concentration was.

Tired Teacher and Obadiah like this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2019

We used Co2 readings as part of our campaign for air conditioning

Obadiah likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2019

Which, ironically, creates more CO2!

Obadiah likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 2, 2019

We are told not to open the windows because it will let the heat/AC out. Sometimes I want some fresh air. They can kiss my grits if they don't like it.

Tired Teacher, MrTempest and Obadiah like this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 3, 2019

The administration needs to remember, To air is human, to forgive, divine.

Tired Teacher, MissCeliaB and MrsC like this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2019

Our school is always very warm--too warm in the winter for a sweater or a hoodie. Either the kids or I frequently crack open a window to cool things down. Once the kids sitting closest to the windows start to complain, we close them for a bit. We have complained several times about the temperature, but things are all controlled centrally and no one in the building can adjust anything. "Someone" has determined that everything is set at an ideal temperature.

Obadiah likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 3, 2019

The funny thing is that different parts of our building are different temperatures so I"m not sure who's setting what and why LOL

Obadiah likes this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM

I never even thought of CO 2 levels! However, for the last few years at least, I have had boys (and even some girls) who think it is hilarious to pass( really stinky) gas.
    Maybe it is a cultural thing because where I came from before, kids would have been embarrassed. It might be something different in the diets.
    IDK. Anyways, I opened my windows no matter how cold to get fresh air often daily. Sometimes I even had to step in the hall to catch my breath.
    Also, if you do have a locked temp box in your room, a custodian showed me how to use sharp big scissors to pop it off in a way that no1 will know. You gently balance the box back, but do not snap it. Then you control your own temp. I totally feel for those of you who are not allowed to control the temperature of your room.

Obadiah likes this.