How Can You learn NAMES in 1 day or less?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by loveskids, Aug 25, 2007.

1. loveskids

loveskids Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I have a question -- and would welcome suggestions! How in the world can you learn kids' names ASAP? I have tried making nametags for all the students when I get there; but that takes up a LOT of time!!!! I just hate having to fall back on, "Um, you there in the blue-striped shirt!" I have a bad memory --usually I can remember just about all the kids' names in the class, right about the time the ol' bell rings for them to go home! Is there a solution for this? I'm open!:help: :help: :help:

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 25, 2007

I associate the kids with something that I notice about them and then associate that with their name. Say I notice one kids is particularly quiet and reserved, I'll take note of that quality and note her name in my head as I do it. Next time I see her, I remember what I was thinking in my head and her name pops up. Say one kids is really short, same thing. It works for me, but I still may not know who ALL of them are by the end of the day. Some kids don't particularly stand out in any way, and usually they are the ones that take longer for me to know. Anyway, I remember alot of things by associating them to something else.

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

The best way I remember their names, is to have a seating chart and by repeating their names often helps.

5. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Name tags shouldn't take long... hand out the tag and give the students a minute to write their name and attach the tag. You don't need to write them out. Just remind them to PRINT and write it LARGE ENOUGH.

6. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

Something else (if they're old enough) to do is to have them say their name before they ask or answer a question. So if you ask what's 2+2 then they would have to say "karla, 4". Get what i'm sayin? Hope this helps.

7. loveskids

loveskids Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

Great idea! Thank you!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2007

Ditto

make a form..copy it...make it bigger than the average size

wherever you go, the first thing you do is jot their names in the squares...

done deal!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2007

wow..I had 18 kids for 2 days...and I remembered them all :p

showing off!

I guess it is because...
    name tags were on desks
    loud know-it alls kept talking
    quiet shy ones never did - process of elimination!
    I had two Jakubs - that was first time I saw it spelled that way :confused:
    A Julie and Julia
    10 girls and 8 boys
    Teacher was there...testing..kept pulling one kid out at a time

two had nosebleeds!
    two bumped their heads.

afterawhile...we were one big happy family

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 2, 2007

I find that just repeating their names as often as possible helps... I was in a grade two class the other day for one hour, it was a small class, but I was able to remember pretty much everyone's name by the end, because we handed out homework, and rather than handing out everything at once, I decided I would hand them all out separately. It helped because the teacher I was subbing for was called in to work in the office while the principal was in a meeting at the last minute, so we didn't have a detailed lesson plan.

There were about three or four things that had their names on them that I had to pass out. I found that was extremely helpful. Also, trying to say their names as often as possible really helps too, taking attendance the old fashion way, asking their names... eventually you get it :)

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2007

Repeating. I remember when I was in elem. a sub went around the room & asked us to think of a food that started with the same letter of our first name.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2007

bean bag game

here's a Girl Scout game that may help you...

It is a good ice breaker for all ages. Even though the class knows each other, you have to sit and supervise, so it will help you learn them better!

Split class up in pairs. One person in each team has a bean bag. Object of game, to toss it to your partner and say his name. She tosses it back to you and says your name.

Then, mix it up, and toss them across the room! The kids go wild, and it gets fun when you have two Davids, or two Juanita's Nobody gets left out. everyone should have a turn!

Oh yes, you must get in the game as well.

13. mitten

mitten Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

When subbing I discovered a hidden talent. This is what I do, I go around the room once having the kids introduce themselves by their first name only and also telling me one thing, like favorite food or animal...then I go back around the room and name as many of the students as I can. I always give a spiel about forgetting at least one person, but that means that I will never ever forget them again (and I make sure I don't). Then I go through once more and by then I can say all of them. The kids favorite part is when I ask a student to time me as I go around and say all of their names as fast as I can. My record so far is 24 students in 10 seconds.
    This is a HUGE ice breaker and the kids love it because I get very animated and make them be silent when people are introducing themselves because I say noise interferes with my talent (which is true). I just try to focus really hard on only the student talking and lock their name into my brain. Sometimes during introductions I will repeat random students' names just to reinforce my memory (helpful to say the student's name that is maybe whispering to a neighbor during this). It takes some time (which isn't always a bad thing) but this way I know the students' names for the rest of the day and I can hold them accountable for their behavior. "Hey, you in the green shirt!" doesn't connect with the student. By taking that 30 seconds or so per kid makes them feel special like I want to know their names.
    It is also really cute when they would see me at their school again and ask if I remembered their name. I usually did...or I at least knew they liked turtles. :)
    I did this all last year when I subbed and it was a life saver. Especially when teachers didn't leave a ton of sub plans (you can drag it out). I've used it Kindergarten through 12th grade and that's what I'm known for. Just find something that works for you and make it fun. Connect with the kids any way you can even if you only have them for an hour. Knowing names improved behavior dramatically.

14. teachnfl

teachnfl Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

Mitten,
    What a great idea! It is so simple and adaptable! I'll have to try that too. It is just so effective to know the students' names when speaking to them. It also shows them that you care to even learn their names and it starts the day off right also. :) Great!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2007

I could do quite a few names in a day especially when I subbed for a special. The kids loved it when I came into their classrooms & knew their names.

Also a side note... I haven't taught for a few years, but go up to the school of field day & my "own" kids are shocked I still know their names...like I could forget!!!

16. sub hubub

sub hubub New Member

Oct 17, 2007

I try to learn as many names as I can, but most students understand that you can not learn every name. Most students can't remember your name either. I often learn the names of students who cause the most trouble or make the most noise. I love it when teahers have the classes names on their desk.

17. OceanFlower

OceanFlower New Member

Oct 27, 2007

I always look carefully at the class roster when I get to the room so I know who I'm going to be dealing with--so I'm prepared if there are 4 Mikes, or a Kayla, a Kaylee, a Kylie and a Kyra. I also notice if there are any really unusual names (recently I've met a Mathias, a Nautica, an Ambrosia, and a Baelin)--those don't take long to memorize, so all you have to do is connect a face to them. Other than that, as many have already said, I just use a lot of repetition--whenever someone asks a question, I always say "Yes, Louis," "Yes, Paige."

I also make it a point in my morning spiel to say that I'll try my best to learn everyone's names, but if I forget yours, just tell me gently and I'll try to remember it next time.

18. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 27, 2007

K including fourth grade at our school have long tri pods in the top left hand corner of their desk with names written on back and front. They stay there all year so nice for the teacher the first few days of school, nice when we move desk, great for subs and special teachers.

They keep a couple pencils in the the center and they aren't always in their desk looking for a pencil.