How can you ask a Team member to stop being late all of the time.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by COMrs.S, Nov 6, 2009.

1. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

So, I know that this might seem like a strange topic but...Last year we had three new third grade teachers (myself included) so there are four of us total. Last year, one of the team members was always late to team planning meetings, meetings after school, and even staff meetings. I figured that it was just a tough year for her and never said anything. This year, she is still late to everything. I was ok with it for awhile but, it's starting to get to me. I try to be on time/early for meetings so that we can started right away. When she is late, it's hard because we started to wait for her and then after 15 minutes we decided to start without her. When she does show up (usually 20-25 min late) we have to catch her up on stuff we talked about and we end up staying later. Lunch meetings are especially hard because we let the kids leave at 11:40 and we only have until 12:20. She doesn't show up until 12 or 12:10. Another thing is that she and her class is late to special events that we do as an entire grade (like showing movies, or assemblies). We rotate which class gets to go to lunch first, and when one teacher is last and her class is before she is usually 5-10 minutes late. That makes it unfair to the other class. She's also late to pick her kids up in the morning, at specials, lunch/recess, and other recesses.

Basically, I'm really unsure of what to do. She is a very sweet and quiet lady and I'm afraid to tell her or talk to my team members about it.

Any suggestions/advice? Thank you. :)

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Nov 6, 2009

Hi Mrs. Math,

Is your colleague late coming to work? Is the building administrator aware of her lateness to staff meetings?

You may want to talk your colleague privately and tell her that you notice she is late to most of the team meetings? She might need someone to talk to anyway. Just be polite about it.

You may want to talk to your building administrator privately and see if he/she notices her lateness to staff meetings.

Hope this helps!

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 6, 2009

Sneak in and change her clocks so she thinks it is later than it is.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2009

The best thing to do in ANY CASE is to talk to the person FIRST b4 bringing in any outsider! You might find out that she has some kind of OTHER commitment that is making her late. You and her might find a way together to solve it b4 Management needs to be alerted. She would really like to hear from you FIRST about how you feel and how it's affecting you, PERSONALLY, and also from running an effective schedule, and making things run smoothly for your meetings. Maybe NOBODY has ever confronted her about it!:help: :thumb: You'd be surprised @ what her reaction might be BUT @ least she gets to find out how you REALLY feel about it all. :angel:
    Rebel1

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2009

She's an adult. She knows what time the meetings start, and chooses not to get there at that time.

I think it's time to let some consequences kick in... start at the appointed time, regardless of whether she's there or not. Someone take the minutes and promise to email her a copy.

When decisions are made without her, maybe she'll understand that your time is as valuable as hers.

I think that consistent lateness is incredibly rude.

7. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

Wow! I can't even believe this is going on for the SECOND year in a row, and no one has said anything to her. Being a teacher takes great responsibility, as we all know, therefore, she should be setting a great example for her students. Being late, on many occasions, is not acceptable.

You need to stand up and say something...if not to her directly, to your principal or administration. Being late to a few assemblies is one thing...being constantly late to group meetings is just stepping over the line; especially when you only have a certain amount of time during lunch. How frustrating for all of your team.

She needs to be given a lesson on punctuality.

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2009

I have no tolerance for someone who is consistently late. When someone is always late they have no respect for anyone other than themselves. I agree with Alice. Start without her. Don't catch her up at the meeting, tell her she can get the minutes later. I would never agree to let her go before me to lunch, making my class late. Again, total disrespect for everyone.

9. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

Thank you all so much for your ideas and support! She did mention once that she was late to staff meetings because the lady who comes to pick up her kids after school is late. But that is no excuse for being late to certain things throughout the day! I would love to just start without her but my other team members are a little more understanding of her situation (whatever that may be). I'm definitely not! LOL I know last week one teacher was waiting to go to lunch after her so she had one of her students go check and see what the late teachers' class was doing, and the student said that all of the kids were still working at their desks!!!!!! Aarrgghhhh! This is only my second year teaching and the late teacher has been teaching for about 9. She was a teacher for 7 years, then took off 8 years and just came back last year. The other teachers on my team have more "seniority" than I do, so I would feel kind of weird approaching her.... I'll probably have to think about it more before I talk to her about it. Thank you all again! :)

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2009

Why don't you go pick up on the way to your meetings...maybe she will rush if she knows that you are waiting for her.:D

11. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

That's a good idea...can you peak your head in her door right before you are about to leave your class? That way, she's knows you are all waiting for her.

12. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Nov 6, 2009

Her being late to pick up from specials is completely unacceptable. By not getting her kids on time, she might be cutting into THEIR planning time. Not cool. Your specials teachers should do what ours finally did. The minute class was over and the teacher was not there, they marched the entire class to the office and left them there. The principal was NOT happy when the teacher finally came to get her class. Guess who's not late to pick up any more?

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 6, 2009

You could hold a raffle within the first five minutes of the start of the meeting!

14. teach&bfree

teach&bfree Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

LOL! What a smart teacher...I would have never thought of that. I bet the principal was mad at both teachers though...

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2009

The teachers in my old school had to wait until their students went through the lunchroom line up before leaving for lunch and one teacher was really upset about this so she decided that she was not going to pick up her students until she got 20 minutes to sit down to eat her own lunch. :eek:hmy: After complaints from the lunchroom ladies the assistant principal actually walked her class back to their classroom after lunch one day and waited there until the teacher returned to her classroom to look for her students. It put an end to her being late:p.