how can PE help with science standardized tests?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by PEteacher07, Aug 13, 2006.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

our school was sooo close to becoming an exemplary school but it was our science scores that really hurt us. they were in the mid to upper 80's (90+) is exemplary. we are almost over the hump, so i wanna figure out a way to help them get there.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 13, 2006

Get a copy of the science TEKS. A lot of the objectives are taught in grades 2,3,and 4 and are not covered again in the curriculum, but are tested. Your principal should be able to tell you which areas the kids were weakest in. If the principal doesn't know, ask the fifth grade teachers. They will certainly know!

If you do warm up exercises, I think it would be easy to chant content information while they are exercising. The order of planets came to mind. For the younger grades, you could use echoing the planets, but the older kids should catch on to the order fairy quickly.

If you have running games, you could label each point with a scientific term. I would imagine that vocabulary was probably a weakness so just hearing those terms should help the content area teachers out a great deal!

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I can't remember the specifics, but a school in our district did an academic field day. Students had to answer questions for their activity. Maybe you can do something like that.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006

Perhaps have them do a classifying activity where they have to run and label the parts (like a plant).

Or maybe some type of activity where they have to match the vocab to its definition.

6. breneem

breneem Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Same for us :( I am going to watch this!

7. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

you wanna know somehting cool...we got this new system that allows us to look at what each kid did on their scores. all the way down to the objectives they missed! isn't that awesome! we could find out the majority of what they missed and focus on it.

last year i played a game that helped my 2nd graders learn about their circulatory system. i also quiz them on muscles in the body too.i think i can start looking to teach other concepts in kinder-first. (our other PE teacher leads 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2006

PE absolutely depends on physical science - motion and forces. Newton's laws of motion are everywhere! (There's a discussion of this on the Multiple Subject Tests subforum, under Examinations for Teachers. Forgive me for not repeating it, but it's Sunday and I'm practicing inertia.)

9. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

Although the PE teacher did not plan this activity, it could be adapted for PE in some way I am sure. In order to teach about the rotation and revolution of the earth, the students took turns being the planets, Earth's moon, and the sun. We set them up in order and we tried to have them recreate the orbits as best as we could in a small gym. The faster "planets" ran, the slower "planets" walked. It took a lot of coordination to rotate and revolve at the same time, so I am sure that would fit somewhere in your standards...LOL! And it really helped them learn about the difference between rotation and revolution, and also how revolution creates the seasons, etc. It was a bit chaotic, but the kids LOVED it. Also, we had a lot of outdoor activities for motion and forces. Since many teachers lack the space to do these types of things, I am sure they would LOVE it if the PE teacher offered to help with some more active lessons.