How can I stop this vicious circle (anxiety, stage fright)?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Elisabeth, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Elisabeth

Elisabeth New Member

Jun 22, 2020

Ever since I started teaching I have dealt with anxiety in the classroom. Being in front of a difficult group doesn't just annoy me, it makes me feel very anxious and uncomfortable. The worst thing is once I feel like this with a group it's very hard for me to "snap out of it". I start thinking about it night and day, about what I can do to make things better, about how I should stop thinking about it, etc. I get stuck in a horrible vicious circle and get more and more uncomfortable. It happened recently with students I have known for 2 years!! We came back after lockdown under special circumstances and assembled all the 8th graders in the same room (35 students). I got very anxious, uncomfortable, almost fell on my face at some point, was barely able to write on the board, my voice trembled. I repeated this the last few classes we gad together... They laughed and chatted non stop each time.... I will only see them once before summer. I'm thinking about showing them a funny movie (which I always do at the end of the year). I'm very affraid this vicious circle might start again next year when they are in 9th grade (I will teach them agai next year). How can I stop this?? When I am not anxious I do love teaching but this is messing up my career.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 22, 2020

Elisabeth,
    What you are describing is clinical anxiety. If it is clinical anxiety, you will need medication to "stop the mental wheels from turning" all the time. Please, talk to your PCP and get a referral to a psychiatrist -- because you need a doctor who is knowledgeable about anxiety and anxiety medications -- PCPs will usually prescribe meds, but they aren't as knowledgeable about it. If it is clinical anxiety (and your description is spot-on for it) then you aren't going to be able to break the anxiety cycle without help. (And if you work for a public school district, they probably have an EAP program -- an employee assistance program -- that will give you 5 or so free sessions with a trained professional who can help you determine if you do indeed need a referral to a psychiatrist. If your anxiety is an issue with teaching, then it would qualify for EAP.)

Best wishes.

4. Brian P Oliveras

Brian P Oliveras New Member

Jul 11, 2020

Hey