How can I promote metacognition with 1st graders?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 19, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

I do this currently with asking questions, and have students think back on their learning and reflect. Some of my 1st graders have no problem doing this, but is it just not developmentally appropriate for some of the others? We have an additional year between K and 1st grade (pre-first) because these students are second-language learners, so my students are ages 7 and 8.

any thoughts on this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2011

Work on lessons where kids simply become aware that they ARE thinking....for example, visualizing lessons while reading...teach that good readers and thinkers have a whiteboard (paper, canvas...) on which their mind paints pictures (makes movies) while they read or listen to a story...read some books with great description but don't show the pictures...have kids draw what they 'see' in their brains...I actually had a third grader recently who happens to be a great reader tell me that she had never been aware of those 'brain pictures' before.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

Thanks! I actually have done that with my kiddos before. It was our reading comprehension strategy for the week, making pictures in their head.
    Thanks again!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2011

It could be worth spending more than a week on...revisit with an emphasis on really being aware of the 'thinking'...they could turn and talk, draw and wire about what they are envisioning...What other comprehension strategies have been your focus? I've been doing a lot of research on teaching the comprehension strategies in more depth and I'm revamping my units of study for next year to let me focus more on the strategies...

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2011

Have you modeled showing them where you notice comprehension breaking down? Or where your picture changes?

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

Other strategies: fixing up when comprehension breaks down, but that one is always difficult. We don't have dictionaries in our room (the kids were asked to bring their own and most of them brought Spanish/English dictionaries, which is not what we had asked them to bring), so other than myself as a resource to learn the new word, the kids pretty much don't have a way to look the word up. Of course I ask them to tell me when they don't understand a word so they can go back and reread, and some of them do, but others don't.

We do graphic organizers to understand plot, previewing the titles and pictures to make predictions, drawing conclusions, and that's all that comes to mind for now (I'm sure we've done more...I just can't recall).

And though I focused 1 week specifically to the making pictures in our minds when we read, I spiral a lot so we have gone back to it, but just not in depth as when I first introduced it.

I like the idea of turning to their partners and discussing the pictures they make in their minds. I might have them do that this week.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

Yes. Every time we work on comprehension strategies I model it and then we practice it.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 20, 2011

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for the link, Kindercowgirl. And yes, you are right, I use thinking maps.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2011

That's a great blog...MrsNickerson is a member here.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

I didn't realize that, Czacza... :)

13. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

May 30, 2011

If you click on metacognition in my labels (on the right side of my blog) you could also access a post from last October specifically about metacognition. It's one of my favorite things to teach! There are so many great resources out there on how to teach reading strategies, but I feel like Comprehension Connections was the most earth-shattering for me! I highly recommend that book. I have quite a few blog posts that stem from Tanny McGregor's ideas from the book... because it totally revolutionized the way I taught the strategies using concrete models! If you're interested, the post I am referring to is found in October 2010 from my blog menu. (I am always blocked from posting links, so I'm not even going to try!)

14. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

Boy, thanks a lot! It's been a while since I saw this thread. I forgot all about it!

Thanks again.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

I'm checking out it right now, although I don't have the time to look too much into at the moment. But I will return to it to really delve into more of it. So far, it looks like a really cute blog.

17. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

May 30, 2011

Well, thanks. As I said, I got the idea for that lesson from Comprehension Connections. If you time this summer, you should definitely look into it! It's my favorite professional development book. Hands down!

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

Recently I had started a thread asking for educational books so I can read this summer. Thanks! I will look into that one.