How can i know if teaching is for me?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tere, Jun 14, 2017.

1. tere

tere Guest

Jun 14, 2017

I've always wanted to be a teacher, but i've never been able to figure out if its something I would be good at. I don’t want to do it if I cant help children. I know what its like to have to deal with kids throwing tantrums. I started taking care of my niece to help out my brother. She was 3 years old and barely speaking. I know what its like to deal with a screaming child that only knows how to communicate with screaming.

But that’s the thing, I KNOW what its like, the headaches, the frustrations. The parents spoiling their kids. I’ve seen my siblings giving into their kids bad behaviors.

I have always loved kids, and am a big kid myself. Lol But I don’t know if I can deal with a class full of kids, throwing tantrums all the time. Is that how it is to be a teacher?

Don’t get me wrong, I love my niece, and seeing her doing so well in school. I know that I helped to get her to that point, makes me feel like I did something meaningful for her. I have been helping with kids since I was a teen, I am 30 now, and I know the reality of what kids can be like. How can I know that I will be able to handle it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017
    AmyMyNamey likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 14, 2017

Teaching is about so much more than dealing with students who throw tantrums. In fact, it's about so much more than kids. I'd recommend that you sub, volunteer, or shadow a teacher to determine if it's something you are interested in pursuing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    ms.irene likes this.
  5. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 14, 2017

Definitely try substitute teaching to dip your toe in and see if it's something you really want to do.
    I teach high school, so there are differences, but I've seen 17 year olds revert to very childish behavior when allowed under the supervision of an ineffective teacher. I would say this:
    1. You cannot be afraid of confrontation, and that means with students or parents or colleagues.
    2. You have to be very confident OR you have to "fake it til you make it". The children have to believe you are in total control at all times, even if you're a wreck inside you cannot let them know it!
    3. You have to mean what you say and say what you mean, and you must back everything up with firm, fair consequences. You must be consistent with this or things will start going south.
    4. You have to really, really love not just the kids but also the art of teaching. I honestly think it's something that is just in certain people. I have trained many horses throughout my life, and I find a lot of things actually carry over to teaching teenagers! Teaching/training and helping something or someone learn is just a rewarding feeling.

You'll definitely get a better idea as a substitute. You'll get a chance to try your hand at managing a class full of kids. I don't think there is any other way to know if you can handle it but to jump in there and start swimming!

Good luck!

Teacherhere likes this.
  6. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 15, 2017

Handling a single kid is not the same as handling a classroom full of kids.

The best advice in the world is to substitute in your area. That's the only real way to find out if the job is for you. Even then, research the labor conditions and union situation before proceeding.