How can I intergrate MORE technology in my daily routines?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Apr 21, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2014

I'm at a very small school. We just got wireless. We have doc cams (though pretty limited without wireless), AR/AM, computer for some videos and power points, music, Iphone for some apps like Names in a Hat. Occasionally I have brought my Ipad for some apps, but the data charges were too expensive for me.

I would really like to bring more technology into my daily practices, since that is the direction that education is going. We do not have Smart boards or student Ipads or laptops, but there must be ways that I can amp up the tech for my students, right? Any ideas?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 21, 2014

I would start with thinking about how lessons can be enhanced through the use of technology. I wouldn't design lessons that focus on the technology you'll be using but rather think of what technology would be appropriate to include in your lessons.

PowerPoint is the easiest to start with, as well as maybe finding videos to go with lessons. Doc cams are great for read alouds so everyone can see the words and illustrations nice and big. Also you can use it for any lesson instead of writing on the board/easel.

I would start by googling whatever topics you are teaching and see if you can find any lesson plans and ideas that have integrated tech.

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 21, 2014

I use TodaysMeet as a question of the day or discussion after reading. Normally I have it set up on student computers so the question or discussion can be started once they start coming in that morning.
    Vocaroo is also another great resource. It's great for recording stories or fluency.

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Apr 23, 2014

Connect the iPad to the school's wifi, and turn off 4G/3G to avoid charges.

I've used the SimpleMind app to make flow charts, Google forms for quizzes, eBooks to show specific passages, etc. Can you buy a cable to connect the iPad to the projector? Or just put the iPad under the ELMO (but videos and some pictures don't show as well).

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 24, 2014

I agree with Bunnie. Don't integrate technology for the sake of integrating technology. If you don't have a very crucial lesson that requires technology for it to work, it's probably not worth the headache, especially if you have to ensure that all of the apps they're using are accessible at your site, that you have the technology to get it work, and that you can teach the kids to access it themselves.

The most crucial technology skills that I'm noticing more and more kids don't have these days are basic typing skills.

Have them type a paper, conduct research online, copy and paste images, create a powerpoint and present it, or write in a blog. Something that reinforces basic typing, spelling, and composition skills.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2014

:hugs:

I was going to say something similar. I will add though that the type of technology students need to learn is often not taught in many schools. In our schools technology is used more to aid the teacher than the student. Often it is an electronic version of something that can be done without electronics.

As Peregrin said, typing is a necessary skills. Internet research is about teaching students how to evaluate information more than how to find information. That skill was also done using books and magazines as research. However, the task of evaluating internet information is even more difficult. This skill isn't taught well in many places.

The real technology skills that we need to teach students starts with learning logic, breaking down a problem into its bits and pieces, understanding relationships between information and processes, and programming skills that require all of the previously listed skills. They need to understand how technology integrates into society and what benefits and costs (not monetary) are associated with the use of the technology in various areas.

Having technology for technology's sake such as a powerpoint, a video, etc doesn't really benefit the student. While we might believe that a video helps the student learn better than an oral lesson because it integrates information, the learning lost by making it easier to learn the information is the skills needed to learn without it being easy. Students don't have to analyze language and think about something as deeply when they have a video that presents it all to them. The video ends up being more passive learning even if a interactive response sheet is provided to be completed during the video.

In some ways, technology is making us dumb.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2014

I agree with you in some respects, yet to have the power of the visual can make such an impact. For example, I read the book The Perfect Storm. I loved it. I couldn't picture it, though. I could not picture a wave that huge, or a sea that stormy. I've never been even close to an ocean that was angry. When I saw the movie, it put it all together.

I often save technology to demonstrate a skill that I have already taught to cement the learning. I am a visual learner, so when I am introduced to it, taught the skill, shown the skill and then get that short video (agreed, not a three hour movie every week), it makes a deeper and longer lasting impression in the mind. A picture is worth 1000 words. Not to mention that it can be entertaining.

I had an interesting experience this year. The last day of school I am known for showing Wizard of Oz. But last year half my class didn't show up. They knew what was coming. Not that they didn't like it, but we are far out of town, and parents don't like the drive unless it is worth it. This year, I changed it up. We read Because of Winn Dixie, and chose to show that movie. Every student was there. When I asked them why they all came, they said to watch the movie, of course. They loved the book, and wanted to see the movie to reinforce their visual interpretation. We also loved the movie.

Thanks for your input. I am interviewing for jobs and this was a big question. They seemed very concerned that I knew how to integrate technology in the classroom; Smart boards, Ipads, etc...

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2014

Holes is an excellent example of how the producer and casting director's vision of a movie doesn't match with the novel. The character in the movie looks nothing like the character described in the book. The main character's physique played a part in understanding the character. The movie didn't represent that at all. Yes, visuals can have an impact, but that is someone's interpretation of the novel.

Movies can be fun to watch, but part of the fun is seeing how someone else interpreted it.

10. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 24, 2014

I would emphasize the importance of using technology to enhance accessibility. When a student is absent, when a student was with the guidance counselor the entire class period, even when a student was just having an off day... technology allows teachers to make lesson plan materials, homework, grades, classmates, etc. accessible to the student 24/7. Integrating technology can also enhance motivation and help make a lesson more relevant and engaging to today's youth, but I agree with other posters who note you must explicitly know why you're choosing to use a Prezi or Teacher quizlet in class. It might be to record student achieve to data or student comprehension. It might be to reward students for participation. It might be to work more efficiently or to make accommodations.

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2014

But the students' would have to pay attention to the novel to evaluate the choices made to make the movie. Compare and contrast, IMO. It might be more for engagement, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Overuse of tech for engagement, I agree, can be a problem.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 24, 2014

Look into Google apps for education. My 5th and 6th graders each have their own account that the school controls and I'm able to set up my own web-sites (which I've turned into a science notebook template my 6th graders use), can post assignments via Google drive, and even create assessments via Google forms. LOVE IT!

13. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 25, 2014

Quantity does not always equal quality with technology! Tread carefully and use it as another tool to assist you in teaching.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2014

I use Raz-kids, Class Dojo, and Educreations daily.
    I am looking into Reflector and Doceri.

I use my i-pad for taking notes during Daily 5 conferences and AIMS Web progess monitoring.

Is this the type of stuff you're looking for? I could list more...

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2014

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. When the interviewer asked me this question a few weeks ago, I felt that they were disappointed with my response. So I've been thinking it over, trying to get ideas. I'll list what I am doing now, maybe that will help me get the big picture;

* phone - Names in a Hat for random response from students (otherwise it would be the same six students talking)
    ITunes for various songs that we like.

* computer - Accelerated reader/math, math facts in a flash, star testing in math and reading.
    Scholastic math jams/science jams.
    Power points
    Thesaurus
    You Tube for instructional math videos (occasionally), Khan Academy (I love these, but they can be a little long) and rewards, engagement.

* Ipad - Google Maps, some apps for some lessons. Art app.

* Doc cam - to share student work, books, papers that we correct together, to project the Ipad.

* Boom box to play CD's of our reading anthology stories.

* TV - School House Rocks, Magic School Bus, educational movies or rewards movies, some documentaries.

This is not on a daily basis. But at least 3 times a week. Sometimes twice a day. I don't build my lessons around tech, but use it to enhance my lessons.

I am in intermediate grades. I know I could be doing more, but finding the right item that isn't too advanced, too long, or too boring isn't as easy as one would think...

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 25, 2014

Ok... first off, I am fully in agreement with those who say the technology is just a tool, and should be used only to enhance lessons. Technology should fit the lesson, not the other way around. You have already agreed with this, but imo, any good response to this question in an interview MUST include that caveat.

Secondly, I wouldn't emphasize use of videos as "technology". What people are looking for when it comes to using technology is how students can demonstrate higher-order thinking with the use of technology. For instance, maybe they make a movie trailer for a book they have just read using iMovie. Perhaps, they are putting together a Prezi to demonstrate a particular science concept to the rest of the class. Maybe they are copying and pasting their finished writing pieces into a word cloud generator to analyze their word choice.

Youtube, Educational Movies, Accelerated Reader, IXL, etc. are fine, but they are not what interviewers are looking for when they ask this question (in my humble, yet entirely correct opinion :p)