How can I incorporate more incentives?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Aug 4, 2012.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2012

in my classroom? I really want to include this practice in my daily teaching routine. I think that the students really get into it. What are some ways I could do this? I teach fourth. Any suggestions for any grade will be helpful. Thanks.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2012

I am thinking about this as well. I haven't been able to create specific policies yet because I'm starting at a new school and I'm not sure what their policies are. I know we have a PBIS system, so I'm sure there will be school-wide things I have to incorporate.

Here are some things I'm thinking about:

Homework charts: We're the cubs, so I bought little paw print stickers and incentive charts and I'm going to have the kids put up a sticker when they turn in their homework for the day with rewards attached. I'm thinking one row would be something like "lunch bunch" (lunch with the teacher, my last kids loved this) and filling up the whole chart would be some sort of bigger reward.

Some sort of behavior tickets where students would get a ticket for going above and beyond expectations and then would get to choose a prize- but with PBIS, I think this is already a school-wide thing so I have to find out more about that first.

I really struggle with the concept of whole-class rewards because even as a student, I always had that one kid in the class that would ruin it for everyone and it just never ends up being fair. This is something I need to think more about.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2012

My biggest incentive system is tickets. I walk around all day with my tickets in my pocket. (That usually end up in the wash, in my gym bag or on my bedroom floor.)

Students can get tickets for anything positive. Sometimes I might make a public announcement, "Nick is getting a ticket because he's the first one with his book out." Sometimes I slip it under a students' book silently while they're reading because they're doing a nice job staying focused.

Kids get tickets for everything. Some of the easiest ways to get tickets
    -Being on line at the end of recess (so helpful in getting them off the jungle gym)
    -Standing quietly during line up
    -Being one of the first few students to start independent work
    -Good participation
    -Helping a classmate
    -Being the first table called to the rug
    -Excellent homework
    -Getting a compliment from another teacher

I never take a ticket away once a student has earned it. At the end of the week anyone with 15 tickets get a prize. At the end of each day there is a drawing and one lucky student gets a prize. The student with the most tickets over 1 week also gets a prize. Then we do bigger prizes (ice cream parties, pizza parties, free book) when they reach 100, 200, 300 tickets. I give out certificates for that too.

I don't do any table prizes or incentives because when a table is listening/ready first I just give them each 1 or 2 tickets.

But we do a full class system, called the pom pom jar. When the whole class is working quietly, gets a compliment, behaves during a fire drill, etc. we'll toss a handful of pom poms in the jar. If they're misbehaving as a whole we'll take pom poms out of the jar. When they fill the jar my co-teacher and I bring in bagels and we have a class breakfast.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

Honestly, I've tried to get away from incentives as much as possible of the past few years. I think it's important to teach kids to strive to meet goals and expectations because they are goals and expectations and not for extrinsic motivation.

I've been thrilled...less money, less to manage, the kids don't miss it and I truly feel they are better off because of it.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

I think that you need to choose a few incentives and then stick with it. Try not to overload with too many things for you to remember.

I like to have a clean locker incentive as well as hand out tickets for great behavior. I've used checkbooks before when my students seemed to need more private behavior management.

I use the behavior ladder and have privileges tied with higher rings some years.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

I also use tickets. (They're super cheap...2000 for $7). I pass them out for various things. It's not always for the same thing. Sometimes it is to improve compliance with a specific procedure.
    *being on time
    *completing work
    *helping a classmate
    *answering questions
    *volunteering to be a guinea pig
    *keeping work space tidy

I do ticket drawings twice a week. Students can choose from 15 or so choices like candy jar, positive call home, sit in a beanbag, etc... Also I pick Musicians of the Week who get to pick from the same prizes as the tickets pullers. Something new I added the second semester last year really worked well. Students were complaining about never being pulled. So now students also have the option to save tickets & turn in for prizes.
    5 tickets - jolly rancher
    15 tickets - choose an item off the prize list (same list as ticket pulls)
    25 tickets - choose a new seat, 5% on a test
    50 tickets - student choice day
    I know some disagree about using incentives. I love using them. I think it helps me be more positive b-c I am looking for things that are good in students. :D

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

I agree with you, recess...I generally don't have problems with students completing homework, good behavior or other expected behaviors. Doing the right thing can be its own reward and teaches students self-respect, confidence, and grows a sense of belonging in a class culture.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

Same here! I do the following (or will do if its a new one):

* Homework chart- if all hw is completed for the day, they get a sticker. When the chart is full (20 stickers) they pick a prize. I have a TON of prizes from over the years. I probably won't be anything new...I will transition to "tickets" with rewards on them eventually.

* Pawprints (school-wide through PBIS)- Kids earn these for being caught being extra good and going above and beyond. They can earn them anywhere in the school. They can redeem them for coupons for school experiences (extra lunch bunch with guidance counselor, all recess swing pass, first in recess line, etc) or they can redeem them for prizes/something from me (that will be new this year bc we never did the school store items like we were supposed to with notebooks, pencils, etc...someone dropped the ball on that...)

* Bingo poster (NEW!) I saw this in Really Good Stuff and decided to make my own version. Whenever my kids receive a compliment that I hear, I will pick a bingo card and cover that number on the bingo board poster with the pawprint I bought (we're Panthers). When the poster is full (25 spots), the whole class earns a reward that we have agreed on or voted on ahead of time.

HTH!