How can i include a good reading program into my special education class

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by lee123, Sep 30, 2006.

1. lee123

lee123 New Member

Sep 30, 2006

i am a second year teacher who has made it my mission this year to immerse my students in more literacy. I am at the assessment stage and i am not doing too good of a job at it. my school gives me no assessment tools and my kids deserve to learn how to read. they are at the capacity of pre k - high first grade. any suggestions?

3. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Sep 30, 2006

You could get a subscription to reading A-Z. It is 80.00 but it has everything you could possibly need. Has assessment, leveled readers, decodable books, fluency passages, etc. I use it and love it.

4. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Oct 11, 2006

If there is money in the budget, I say go with the Wilson Reading system. It was developed for dyslexic adults, but I have found it is great for most SpEd students. The program says to start with the basics to build a good foundation - that would be great for young studnets. It also says to progress slowly, so that would also work for your students. Even if you chose not to buy the program, you could easily recreate most of the supplies with only a small investment. The program itself is pretty common sense once you have the supplies.

www.wilsonlanguage.com

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2006

I have a K-2 class. I use the Orton-Gillinghan program with my pre-reading group. I did not buy the program but I bought one of their books and made my own cards. I use a levelled direct instruction reading program with both my non-readers and my readers. I do a daily message where we look at spelling, grammar and mechanics. We read a poem and again look at spelling, grammar and mechanics. I do word wall activities 4 days a week. We learn 5 new spelling words a week. When students get a break between activities they must read or draw, but if they draw they have to write a sentence about their drawing. I do a literacy journal every day, along with journaling on a daily basis (I will be changing this next week and we will be journaling for 3 days and doing a teacher selected topic 2 days a week -- I will be increasing the teacher directed topic after about 5 weeks). I do a math journal that has all problem-solving questions, so they have to read the question. I also do guided reading about 3 times a week. Unfortunately, no one is on the same reading level, so I have to work with them individually. I also get them to do an independent reading assignment a couple times a week -- after they read a book or after they listen to a story tape. I also send a book home with each student once a week with specific questions for their parents to ask them or with a independent reading activity or they do a book report graphic organizer.

6. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

Lee,

What grade are your students enrolled? Are your students diploma bound, or non-diploma bound students? My students are non-diploma bound, but they have severe disabilities which requires more visual instruction. I use the boardmaker in my activities and I also use the Edmark Reading Series. This program is wonderful for students who have never learned to read. It begins with matching skills and it emphasizes reading by recognition rather than phonics which is more appropriate for students who will eventually gain understanding. It is in a computer format and paper format. I also would suggest the Super Duper Publications Reading Intervention program as well.

AspieTeacher