How can I hold kids responsible for missing assignments?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by workingwithkids, Sep 17, 2016.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Sep 17, 2016

I am having trouble getting some of my students (6th graders) to turn in their assignments and wanted to see what other teachers did to hold them accountable besides giving them a zero. We are about to start the fifth week of school and my team gave a test that was a one page response to a story we read in class. Students worked on it for 3 class periods and were able to come in before or after school and work on it at home. It was assigned Monday and due Thursday. Tests count for 60% of their grade so students that did not turn in their test now have 20's and 30's in my class and parents are upset. I have explained the grade drop and the parents have promised kids will have assignment turned in on Monday. I would like to prevent having to constantly remind students to turn things in. Thanks for the suggestions.

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 17, 2016

What we do:
    -Have to write the assignments into the agenda book
    -Use REMIND app to help students remember when stuff is due
    -Students and parents sign a homework contract - this way they know ahead of time what happens if they don't have their homework
    If they don't turn it in:
    -Lose ClassDojo points
    -Lose recess
    -Some teachers make their students call home for it or tell their parents they didn't bring it in
    -Lose points for the assignment
    -Can't attend field trips

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 17, 2016

I send home a simple email letting parents know the assignment wasn't turned in and they can turn it in late for 50% credit. Then I give a zero until the assignment materializes. I don't bug them about it. If they care, they'll get it turned in.

Backroads and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  5. Nab

Nab Companion

Sep 18, 2016

I have a "Missed Work" station - it's magazine holders labeled by day. I put all student work that is missed in these holders for one week. The student name is on each paper and if it was for a grade, there is a star on it. I've noticed a lot of students don't even check for missing work. So, on Fridays I hand it to them, remind the class where it is and what to do, and then inform the student that they have until the end of the period to get the work to me, or it is a zero. Simply because - if you can't be responsible enough to check up on what you missed. . .then, I'm just going to assume that your grade doesn't matter.

As for not turning work in on time - I'm in a crazy district that says we cannot give students a zero or a point drop (2 points off for every day it's late or 50% off, that kind of thing) for work that is not turned in. So, I give them an extra two days and than I grade what I have. If I have nothing, I put a zero and I document that the student was given plenty of time to do the assignment (an extra two days), and chose not do the assignment. If the assignment was sixteen questions on a short story, and they turn it in late and with only ten questions completed - I take off six points for the missing questions and grade from there.

I also use Remind. My planning period is the last hour of the day, so I usually send out a reminder to students (and parents, if I can) at 3:00 and then again at 7:00. Sometimes I even send out another remind at 6:00 the next morning. (A rushed assignment,that is done in a hour, is better than nothing.)

Backroads likes this.
  6. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Sep 18, 2016

Thank you for the suggestions. I spent almost 2 hrs this morning emailing parents of students with missing assignments (I have 88 students and 31 did not turn in their test) and have not heard back from any of them so I hope that they all bring it tomorrow. The school policy states that 10 points can be taken off each day past the due date for up to 5 days. I think what annoys me the most is the kids that did not turn in their test never came to any of the tutoring sessions. The due date was written on the white board and in their agendas. I am not sure if they are overwhelmed with the adjustment to middle school or whether they just don't care.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 18, 2016

2 hours is a lot of time! It's unfortunate that you haven't heard back but at least you covered yourself and can say you've notified parents. If it's helpful for the future, I just send home one email and BCC all parents with students who didn't turn in the assignment:

Dear Parent,
    Your student did not turn in ___. Missing work can really impact a grade! School policy states that 10 points will be taken off each day past the due date for up to 5 days. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Thank you,
    Workingwithkids

Maybe you did this already, but it's quicker to not put in any names. All you have to do is find the emails for those 33 kids, which you probably already have in your address book (if not, that's another time saver). Just make sure you put the addresses in BCC so it stays private.

8. TeacherBC

TeacherBC New Member

Sep 18, 2016

It would be better for them to make use of the app REMIND.I use that app to remind students to turn in their assignments.