How can I help them find a page in a book?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by aek471, Apr 8, 2008.

1. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

I've been teaching first grade for three years now and I still struggle with what to do with this. Around the middle of the year, we obviously start getting farther along in our workbooks/textbooks. When I tell students to turn to a certain page, those who lack number sense have no idea on how to find the page (generally with pages above 100). They will go one page at a time until they find it, rely on their peers to do it for them, etc. It's so hard to watch them struggle but I feel that if I just open up their book to the right page, I'm doing the work for them and they will never learn their numbers! I've tried to give mini lessons on this, but to no avail. It seems like a little thing, but it comes up several times a day with several students. PLEASE HELP!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 8, 2008

If you go in order, let them use a sticky note on the last page you completed and start from there each day. You could also use color coded flags for tens (red for 0-9, blue for 10s, green for 20s, etc) until they start to develop the sense. I would also point things out like a think aloud (50 is in the middle, the last page is 75, starting at the back would be faster to find page 70).

4. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Apr 8, 2008

I love the colored flag idea. So simple!

5. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

I feel your pain with this issue! I have a few kids that really struggle with this. I like the suggestion of just keeping a post it note on the last page and have them go from there. It's nice to know that there are others experiencing this too!

6. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

Here's what I do and it works GREAT!

I write the page number on the board, for instance page 305. Then I say - you are looking for a page number with 3 numbers......so first find a page with 3 at the beginning.....once they have gotten to the 3 hundreds, say okay, now you found 3, now you have to find 0....(so if they are on 365, I say, you have 6, you need zero....which way do you go to find the zero? --- then you may want to elaborate on "go back for numbers less than 6, and go forward for numbers greater than 6").....once they have found 30something, I say, now you have to find 5...by this point they go solo because this is the easiest to find....

I have had an INCREDIBLE amount of success with this method....but I do it with individual students, not as a whole-class.......and I NEVER NEVER NEVER let students help each other find page numbers.......because, (and I explain this when they do it) if they are always getting help, they will NEVER learn to find the page number on their own..... :)

7. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

I use this method as well; however, I do provide the directions to the class as a whole first. I think it's not always successful for me because it's almost more of a listening activity for them and some of my students just don't have the attention span necessary (unfortunately). I try to give extra help to those struggling (using the above stated directions), however, many times it's the same children over and over again, day after day. I will try to make it more individualized and see if that helps. :thanks:

8. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

yeah, I found I"m helping the same ones over and over, too! But we have made great progress - I now only have 2 who still need help regularly, whereas I had like 10 or so in the beginning. :)

9. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! I think I'll try all the ideas. Hopefully it will help - I'm determined to get them to 2nd grade without this problem!

10. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

I'm in Kindy right now and I use a combination of the sticky notes and the number on the board. I also will not allow them to help each other. Afew of my sepcial ed students I help but by the end of the year they are able to do it on their own because they learn how to visually copy. I have found that even towards the end of the year I can say the number prior to writing and half the class has figured it out before I write it. It's great number sense, problem solving and concept of print.

11. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

May 9, 2008

I give out bookmarks as awards. I encourage the kids to keep one in each textbook and put the bookmark in where we stop. We usually start up again near where we stop. I also right the number on the board if I see students struggling with it. They are learning the place value so they know to find the 1 first then the 6 then the 2 in pg. 162.

12. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

May 12, 2008

It's such a simple concept LakeSophie, but I really like the bookmark idea. Thanks for sharing.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 12, 2008

I write the number on the board. I also say it like 3 hundreds, 5 tens, 2 ones.