How can I help my students set goals for the year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Oct 14, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2010

Do you do this? This is for my fourth graders. I want them to have something to work towards during the year. Any guidance as to how to do this? Thanks.

3. Coupon Teacher

Coupon Teacher Rookie

Oct 14, 2010

I like to have them first state three things they're good at, and we talk about how they were able to improve in those areas. What steps did they take/what did they do to become good at something?

Then we talk about goals and how important it is to work in order to reach them - a helpful metaphor is that you can't expect to get better at soccer if you don't practice. Also, we talk about how goals need to be specific, for example, "I want to improve passing during my soccer game" to keep up the metaphor. They need to specify what they're going to do, how they're going to do it, and by when.

After that, they write goals - I like to start the year with one behavior goal, one academic goal and one personal goal. The evaluation for these goals will be when school starts in January after the winter break. That's a good time not only for them to evaluate what they've done, but to set new goals for the next month or two.

I believe it's a valuable exercise, helping kids to take responsibility for their learning!