How Can I get respect in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jjleffler, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jjleffler

jjleffler Guest

Sep 28, 2004

I have some children in my first grade classroom that absolutely refuse to follow my directions, throw tantrums, defy me, and show no respect whatsoever. Some of the children talk while I'm speaking and completely ignore or pretend not to hear me. I am apalled at this behavior and would have never thought of acting this way as a student. How can I gain the respect that I deserve in my classroom? I do use consequences for inappropriate behavior and rewards for good behavior, but sometimes this does not seem to work. Help! :(

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Sep 29, 2004

It is unfortunate that some kids are disrespectful. I would keep your expectations high and don't give in to them. Let them know clearly what you do expect of them. Go over your classroom rules as much as you need to in the beginning. Don't be too lenient. If they see that you will keep teaching or talking over them, they won't learn to be respectful.

I definitely learned that although consequences are the same for each child, you sometimes have to make individual changes for certain children. If they are the same kids doing this all the time, then try doing individual behavior charts or extra activities that they can do if they are behaving appropriately. It takes getting use to at first and it is time consuming sometimes to make individual behavior plans, but the benefits are well worth it.

Best of luck to you. I know it can be challenging. Use all your resources to get ideas. Talk to fellow teachers, the Principal, parents, etc. to get ideas for things you can try. I figure it's worth it to give anything a try to see what will happen. At least it can't be any worse, right???

4. Lisa H.

Lisa H. Rookie

Oct 2, 2004

I teach a 3-5 year old preschool class, and respect is the most important word in our room!! All of the children understand it and know how important it is. We started with small things like when we say the pledge every morning, we talk about the flag and how you never let it touch the ground, and we look at a map of the United States and we say that the flag itself, and Red, White and Blue are very important colors that represent all of the U.S. We keep it very simple, but they understand we show respect for our flag and country everyday by saying the pledge. I also bought a poster that says respect in the center and we talk about it frequently. We use the respect for everything in our classroom, to the toys and puzzles and books, to the chairs, tables and doors. That is how I remind the children to "treat our books with respect" We talk about how to respect things individually, so that they understand when i say that to them. Now they are understanding it enough to apply it to each other and all adults. I hear the children saying it to each other all of the time and when we say the pledge, if the flag holder is swinging the flag a little to hard, or it is falling down and almost touching the ground, someone will say, "be careful, we treat our flag with respect" It is great. Also if someone is being mean to someone else, or talking to a teacher inappropriatly, I will say do you think that is show me(or them) any respect? It is great for them to understand such a strong word, because it is a word that they will always need to know. Parents are always telling me how they use the word at home all of the time with parents, sibblings, and random items.
    I hope my rambling helps but just start small and let them grasp the concept of the word, and then let it's meaning spread to other things in everyday life. Good Luck!! :)

5. elemteacher

elemteacher New Member

Oct 2, 2004

I think that everyone experiences some of these things in their first years of teaching, a good resource that has helped me is a book by Harry Wong called The First days of school it has a lot of strategies for classroom management to use.

6. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 15, 2004

speak to children individually and have a heart to heart. groups like this do not benefit from group talks. the few kids that are respectful feel awful and the others are yeahyeahyeah. speak to them one on one. show them how it feels to not be listened to. don't listen when they need to speak to you and then address it later (how did you feel when I didn't listen to you?
    How did it feel to be ignored) May sound a little unorthodox but maybe they need a taste of what the other end is like.