How Can I get 1 More Credit for salary schedule?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 17, 2019.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2019

Hi all,
    I have been teaching abroad and am preparing to possibly return home soonish. I am looking at the salary schedule for the district I am interested in, and I am 1 credit away from moving to the next column (BA + 60). Any suggestions as to how I can get that last credit? Are there online schools that are relatively cheap where I can take just one course? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 17, 2019

https://courses.learnersedge.com/courses/dl/all?content=&grade=&credits=1&format=OL&srch=&nat=false

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

PBS TeacherLine offers a lot of online courses that you can take to get the last hour. I've taken three courses over different summers in order to get myself a raise. They involve a lot of reading, and the assignments aren't necessarily easy. However, I would say that I've learned more from those courses than any in-person courses I've taken at our local universities, and they've always been accepted in order to get a salary bump. Just make sure that you double-check the graduate credit options. Some courses are offered for college credit, and others are not. Since you're doing it with hopes of moving lanes on the salary schedule, you'll want to make sure that you choose a course which offers graduate credit.

Oh, and, yes, these courses are relatively inexpensive when compared to what local colleges and universities charge. I think I paid about $750 for a 2 hour course last summer, including the cost of the graduate credits. Not cheap, for sure, but definitely less than I would have paid to take a class in person, at the school down the road.

http://www.pbs.org/teacherline/

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 18, 2019

Can you go to a conference? I got two credit hours for attending a conference (that my district paid for) and writing a one page reflection on it. I would check with your district. My district will give you lane change credits for just about anything as long as you can make the case that it will help you in your classroom. See if your district can set you up with something.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 18, 2019

Teacherline would be my choice. I've taken several courses with them, and the cost is inexpensive, while the quality is high.

bella84 likes this.
  7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 18, 2019

I'd wait until you get locked into the district and then check in with them. As an example, my district offers a range of (free) classes that they accept for salary scale purposes. They might also have partnerships with nearby schools. It might mean that you start off a lane less than you'd like, but the difference will probably be fairly negligible, and getting a free credit instead of paying for one will probably get you ahead in the end. They may even count something like their district induction as a credit for salary scale purposes.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

Does your district offer any?

In addition, before you pay for a course, I would check that your district offers credit for them. Some districts will not give grad credits for online courses.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

Wow! That is great. My previous district offered no opportunities to get grad credits. My new district offers .5 of a credit for every 6 hours (1 day) of PD (which is still great.)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2019

If home for you is California, you might also nose around the website of the relevant county office of education: if the COE offers professional development on its own or in conjunction with any of the local colleges and universities, there's likely to be a page of listings, and it's fairly likely that course credit will be mentioned.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 19, 2019

I'd also suggest waiting until you're in the district. Like others mentioned, some districts do allow you to use PD/different things they put on for credit. Additionally, some have picky rules about what they will accept for salary advancement. I've gotten a ton of credits through Learner's Edge, but I checked with HR first and they would only accept them if I chose a local university as my "partner institution" to get my transcript from. Some other teachers didn't get their Learner's Edge classes approved because they had transcripts from "non-approved" universities, even though they were the exact same classes.

12. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 19, 2019

My advice is the opposite, get the credit now. HR in my district pretty much approves all credits from transcripts you submit when you onboard, but are pickier about credits you submit once you are an employee of the district.

bella84 likes this.
  13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2019

Same here.