How can I do this politely?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrsammieb, Oct 31, 2006.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 31, 2006

I want to make a wish list of things I want for Christmas for my classroom. How can I do that without being or sounding rude? Or is that rude?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2006

I don't think there is anything wrong with a general wish list. I would not specifically call it a christmas wish list. Just my opinion, the parents might feel obligated in some way.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 31, 2006

I send my wish list home on my newsletters. I put it under the heading Wish List, along with a note thanking them for supporting our classroom. I also put a note my newsletter thanking specific parents for donating items to the classroom (I don't state what they specifically donated though unless it is something big like a microwave a got 2 years ago).

I also make a bulletin board during open houses/curriculum night/parent-teacher conferences ... with items I would like parents to donate to my classroom. At the beginning of the year I wrote the items on a paper apple and the parents just removed the apple from the tree and the students brought in that item. During parent teacher conferences I am going to have stars.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 31, 2006

Or you could just mention in a letter home something like, "As the holidays approach, please keep in mind that our classroom could use some gifts. The most useful items would be ...."

6. Sanne

Sanne Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

Sounds demanding!
    I would say something like:
    I would really be happy to receive some things for our classroom. Could you possibly help us out?

7. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Nov 3, 2006

I too would definitely NOT call this a Christmas Wish List because not everyone celebrates Christmas (even if you are in a town that most if not all children celebrate Christmas you may have an exception). I'd just call it a Wish List for the Classroom. You'll always have parents who are willing to help out and buy items for the classroom while other parents just don't want to help out in this way. In either case, I wouldn't have anything extravagant on the list or anything that is highly expensive, just items like this....

stickers
    Rubber Stamp Pads
    purell/wet wipes
    maybe purchasing a board game you would like, etc.

The only problem w/a wish list is that parents may duplicate the item you ask them to buy(esp if you don't need a lot of them) so you may have to periodically send out an updated wish list.

Hope this helps!

8. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

I have heard of having a Giving Tree. Draw a tree on the board during open house and the parents can take an apple or leaf that has an item written on it that the classroom needs. Or you could put the tree on a bulletin board. What about doing a Christmas tree and the "ornaments" have the items written on them??

9. K3instructor

K3instructor Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

Just ask whos parent wants to make a contribution. Send home a note.

10. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

We keep our Giving Tree up year round, beginning with Back-to-School Night. We list film, film developing, tissues, hand sanitizer, toner cartridges, etc..... If we get low on anything, we mention the Giving Tree again in the newsletter, and parents come 'round and browse.

I would feel funny asking for any kind of Christmas gift, classroom or not.... For one thing, kids and parents alike really seem to enjoy giving their gifts, and to "direct" them in a specific way seems inappropriate. However, if even ONE parent asks about your preference, I'd say, go for it! Sometimes just one parent can get a grassroots effort going and take care of that big wish list item!

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2006

Do you have a PTA or a room mom? If so, you could ask them to coordinate this for you. It seems less like YOU'RE the one asking for things this way. Our room moms always do a holiday gift collection for teachers each year and it's usually for gift certificates and things like that. I think the parents would be thrilled to buy something I really want and can really use instead of a gift card to the mall!!!!

I'd be perfectly comfortable putting a note out that said, "If you were considering purchasing something for us as holiday gifts, there are a number of things that the children and I could really use for the classroom. If you want, you can contact me and I'll send you our wish list!" This give them the option to either not contribute at all, or choose to buy you something more personal instead of for the classroom if they choose. And, mentioning the children makes it seem less selfish.

I'd send this note out NOW, though, because I know lots of people start Christmas shopping early, and many may be buying your gift soon.
    Kim
    Kim

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

Great ideas. We just finished parent conferences so putting up a giving tree, although a great idea, I think it is too late. Putting my room moms on the job seems like a great idea. I would just much rather have a $5 gift card to Borders than a $5 coffee mug, you know?

13. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

The private preschool that I work for has a great "wish list"-if you can even call it that. In our newsletter, we have a free "classifieds" section, where teachers and parents alike can tell people about things they need/want to give away. One parent called asking us to put in that she has a changing table to give away, and we are asking for empty tissue boxes. You can adapt this quite easily...

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 5, 2006

In the classroom I took over last year, the teacher sent a letter saying that instead of sharing holiday gifts with classmates, they are going to do classroom gifts. I believe she sent a wish list of items the students needed in the classroom.