How can I become more of a morning person?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 12, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Even though I try to get enough sleep, I still feel groggy in the morning while I'm getting ready!

If you're a morning person, what are the things that help you wake up? I don't drink coffee everyday. I usually get a nice coffee drink every now and then (maybe 1 or 2 a month!) as a treat. :)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

I wasn't a morning person.
    Then, I added a 20 minute yoga routine ... now, I wake up before my alarm and look forward to yoga. By the time I'm done with yoga I feel really great.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

Drink lots and lots of coffee- either make your own. Or get friendly with a coffee shop.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

KUalum, seriously? Now you wake up and merrily run to yoga? I've gotta try that. I am not a morning person, either. Over the course of the summer, my mornings and bedtimes get later and later naturally. I think Thursday is going to come CrAsHiNgLy.

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I actually do better if I get less than 8 hours of sleep. The older you get (not that you're old :)) the less sleep you need. Try getting 7 hours and then take a shower right away when you get up. It does wonders for me.

7. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

My morning routine (not during summer) is to get up and immediately take a shower, then go eat breakfast (and drink coffee). That works for me. I am usually a morning person -- much more productive than in the afternoon. However, during summer, when I don't do this, I am not up and going until 8 or 9, and more lately, I haven't showered until 10 or so.

It works for me. I have tried working out in the morning, but I hate working out so much that it actually made me hate getting up even more. So, that stopped! :) I need to work that out, too, since I really need to be working out more (or at all).

8. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

I'm not a morning person and I can't have caffeine.

I have to get like 9 hrs 20 minutes or sleep or else I am groggy

9. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Try going to bed 15 minutes earlier every evening until you wake up when you want to without your alarm clock. If you don't drink coffee past 12 (lunch time) you also get a much better sleep. Coffee after that affects your REM cycle.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

I am a morning person- sort of. I wake up around 7:30 AM every day unprompted. Even when I am up late. Set an alarm for me to get up at 6:30 and I will hit the snooze a dozen times and be late. Who knows.

11. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

well once I am awake for 10 minutes and am completely awake and ready to go, so I'm nauturally a morning person (now try keeping me awake at night past 11pm..it's almost impossible haha)
    but on my slow days I wash my face with an exfoliating face wash-one that creates a tingling sensation will guarantee to wake you up
    then I'll listen to some music that gives you that inspiration to wake up and get the day started, and have a bowl of lucky charms (the sugar does just as much as coffee sometimes! ha)

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

I am a night owl to the extreme. But, the teaching world doesn't operate on that schedule.

Yes, I'm serious. Merrily run to yoga? No. But, I do wake up and easily get out of bed knowing that my day starts with yoga. Knowing how good I feel after yoga and throughout the day because of yoga makes it something to look forward to.

Let dog #1 out
    Restroom for me
    Let dog #2 out
    set up yoga mat
    feed dogs
    Take dog #2 back to bed with husband
    Get dog #1 settled on sofa
    -----
    up to this point I am a bit of a zombie ... but I am up and moving around, not hitting snooze 3 times.
    -----
    Begin yoga

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

How does Yoga help you feel better?

I'm more of a dance/exercise kind of person so I'm not used to slow-movement exercising.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

I think I may try the yoga thing.

I am definitely NOT a morning person. But one thing that helps me is to get up at least an hour and a half before I have to leave. I shower at night, so that gives me plenty of time to eat breakfast, read the paper, peruse the internet, watch the news, and get dressed and get ready for work. I like being able to take my time in the morning, and I do NOT like feeling like I just rolled out of bed to go to work.

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

I have thought about yoga in the morning. Then I think about slow, still positions and then I think I would fall asleep in downward dog :lol:. Usually I just get out of bed when I hear the alarm and go directly to the shower. Some days I wash my hair twice or use conditioner on my wash cloth, but I do come out clean (except for the time I forgot to rinse the conditioner out of my hair, then I started over). I am thinking about starting my day with breakfast this year though. Or at the very least, a cup of coffee. I would like to get up earlier and slow down a bit in the morning, but we'll see how that works out.

16. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I made myself into a morning person by:

Having the coffee preset at night to be ready when I get up

Immediately take a quick shower with invigorating soap.

Drink coffee and peruse the internet for about 30 minutes. I drink 3-4 cups of coffee, but I don't drink it at any other time during the day.

I was used to getting up at 4 am due to my last job, so I have come to love being up before the sun! I get up early even on wknds!

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I'm not a morning person.

I don't shower in the morning. I don't drink coffee. I don't go to bed early. I don't exercise before work. I just get up, get ready, and go.

Never groggy. I'm just not a morning person. I am just a night person who has to get up early.

Maybe you aren't sleeping well. I get a little over six hours in a typical night. I might feel a little "draggy" for about 10 minutes when I first get up, but that's it. I might not get a lot of hours of sleep, but I sleep well. I don't actually sleep well when I'm in bed more than 6 hours.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

I am not a morning person myself. I try to find a job that allows me to work late. Usually everyone else wants to get home early, so they are happy that I will work the later shift.

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I had this problem until a Dr. told me that the key is getting to the point that you can wake without an alarm. So I went to bed 15 minutes earlier each week until I reached a point that I woke without feeling too droggy. This helped me get rid of the morning droggies but I cannot say that I became a morning person. That I think may be more personality.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

It's hopeless.

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

Yoga, even though it is slow, is stenuous and you definately sweat. Exercise of any sort makes me feel better, so I'm struggling to answer your question. It is invigorating.

22. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I am not a morning person at all. Never have been. Why can't we start school around 9 or 10? 7:30 is WAY too early. I also have the preset coffee maker.

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Pretend and practice extreme self delusion!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I guess if you just make yourself wake up early, you'll get used to it. I'm a night owl myself. I'll only get up early when I have to, such as for work or leaving for a vacation.

25. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

During the summer, I am an owl. I stay up REALLY late, and sleep in REALLY late. About the first week of August, I try to start retraining my brain that in order to be a happy, jubilant, energetic K teacher, I MUST,MUST,MUST get to bed earlier. So it is now about a quarter to two, and I am finally winding down enough that I fell like I could sleep. We shall see. I will say, however, that during the school year, I am almost always up before my alarm, even if I have a late night beforehand.
    As a side note, I think that I like staying up so late because i have two little ones, and it is truly the only time that I have to "myself."

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2009

Morning person here...I guess someone needs to be! I'm not sure what my "secret" is; I've been this way since I can remember. For me, 7:30am is sleeping in. During the school year, I wake up between 5:00 and 5:10am every morning (no alarm) and during the summer, it's usually about an hour later than that.

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

I've always been a morning person - I wake up cheery - it's the best part of my day. But, if I have to rush - I'm off all day. So, I'd suggest waking up with enough time to do a routine that makes you feel happy.
    I'm better off waking up earlier and groggy than waking up later and having to rush. I shower the night before, lay my clothes out and try to stick with a routine so I don't have to worry about time issues.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

Another suggestion - before teaching I would take a good walk every morning. It helped so much to wake me up, AND this is when I lost 40 lbs which I totally accredit to that walk in the morning.

Now I can't really walk much in the morning. If I sweat, I would have to shower, so I would have to add a good hour to my morning routine, and no way am I getting up at 4:30. Plus, in a month or so, it will be too dark in the morning here. I have tried just taking a quick 10-15 min walk around my apartment complex in the am, though, and I really like doing that, but once winter comes, it is def. too dark even for that.