How Best to Handle a Nosey Paraprofessional

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Starista, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 19, 2008

Hi!

I haven't posted here in awhile, but I do very much enjoy everyone's insight and input.

This is my 6th year teaching ~ and my 3rd in 1st grade.

I have been working with the same assistant and she is a VERY sensitive woman in her late 30s. She will cry when her son (also in grade 1) has to change his color on his behavior chart ~ infact she did this quite often last year and she will also cry when he has a bad day. I try mu best to support her, as her husband is a cancer survior and that, needless to say, has affected her mood!

She is VERY much a woman who needs/wants to be included and imvolved in everything. If, at the spur of the moment, some coworkers and I set out for coffee on a Friday afternoon and she's not around to be invited, she will be VERY offended if she found out about it.

Anyways ~ since the new year I have begun weight watchers. I wasn't telling too many people since I am quite afraid that I will have a rough time sticking with it!!! I've lost 8 lbs and am doing fairly well! Anyways, at dismissal on Monday, the other 1st grade assistant commented on how nice I looked. I mentioned my diet and how I was nervous for my Friday weigh in!

Yesterday (Friday at school) that same assistant popped her head in my room and said "good luck tonight!!!"

My kids were at literacy centers and immediatly MY assistant said "What? What was that about? What does she mean? Is everything ok?"

I immediatly said "Oh yeah! Everything's fine!"

When I finished my group, trying to consider her feelings, I said "I joined Weight Watchers w/ my husband... and I wasn't telling too many people since I am worried I won't do too well!" She immediatly turned cold and said "Fine. If you don't trust me fine. We just won't tell each other personal things. Fine!"

For the rest of the day and afternoon she was cold to me. She also spoke to the assistant in the other 1st grade about how it hurt her feelings that I didn't tell her about my joining weight watchers.

I hate, hate, hate, hate this kind of stuff. I hate that I am wasting your time with this! But I honestly don't know how to proceed with her. I am VERY considerate of the feelings of others, but it honestly had never come up with my assistant! She comes to work right at 7:30 when the kids come in and leaves right at 3:15! I have no prob with that, but it leaves little time for socialization. Not to mention when I got engaged a year ago and asked her to keep it between us, she told a few teachers.

Anyways ~ I don't know how to handle this. I am NOT one to play the whole power struggle (her the assistant, me the teacher) stuff. But I can NOT thrive when my assistant is being cold and is downright snubbing me. I hate awkward enviorments.

Truly, I believe this is her issue. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much. :love:

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2008

Wow what a tough situation. Could you make a comment or have a discussion to her about your relationship being professional and it being best left that way?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2008

Can you request a different para for next year?

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 19, 2008

You are right, Starista, it is her issue. She'll get over it. I don't even know that you should bring it up to her. But, I am more of the type of person that would just brush something like that off. But that is just me. I mean if she wants to get that upset over weight watchers...I had a similar assistant, real needy, who finally quit in December. It was a great relief. If anyone else has any other ideas???

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 19, 2008

Ignore it, she will find someone to be upset with next week.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2008

OMG..you have know idea how long I have been dying to post the very same thing!!

I notice that lately my aide has been questioning everything I do, breaking all the rules, and treating my kids like they are infants! the minute I try to have a professional talk, she goes ballastic saying : "Fine, I won't do anything! You just want me to do too much around here!" she leaves half my stuff at the copier, and most of the things are either done wrong, or halfway..and I end up doing over!

what really annoys me is the fact that she asks me dumb questions in the middle of my lessons. It seems like she is personally offended and thinks I am picking on her when I ask her to do something! YOU know kids listen and repeat everything you say! she says stuff like, "Why do you want him to sit here (with her) and not with the other kids?" Like I'm going to say, "Because he is not listening and I want him to sit and finish his math paper by himself so the others won't help him cheat!" Doggone it, that is too much for me to say, I don't have time or should have to tell you, and nobody else needs to know, and the kid already knows it, and why the heck are you asking me?!

Man! glad I got that off my chest!

I wish my P would just give me the older aide who just transferred in from another school because she said to me, I am going back to school for sp. ed and I wish I could sit with you and ask you some things." I said, sure...but jeez ! why didn't they just put her in my room in the first place?? :confused:

I know my current aide is po'd at the world, and I refuse to let her blame her problems on me!

she would be better off in a day care center...b/c she really acts like that's what she wants.

My plan...

To get as many parents as I can to come in a volunteer
    To do all my own copying and make my own homework packets.
    Ignore the goofy stuff, and if I am in the mood, I'll tell her exactly how I feel...just like I tell the kids

"I told him to sit there because that is where he needs to sit!"

and if she gives me any more back talk, I will say, "If you don't want to help him, then find something else to do."

and take it one day at a time

We will not be held hostage in our own classroom! :unsure:

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jan 19, 2008

Yikes! I certainly don't envy your situation. Maybe ask your school psychologist for some ideas on how to approach your para? Her behavior is not conducive to a positive classroom climate.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 19, 2008

Starista I think you should let your aide know that you are the teacher and that she has no right snubbing you. You can do it nicely. Then do not tell her anything.master Pre-K have you talked to your director about YOUR aide? She should not be doing that to you! Is there any way you can get the other woman as your para?

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

Thank you all so much for your kind words and sound advice. Hopefully all of this will blow over soon.

I'm very nervous to go to school on Tuesday, but I have to remember that it's my class. Thanks so much for listening.

:love:

11. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 20, 2008

Starista, Master Pre-K, I don't really have any advice, but I do admire the way you haven't snapped yet! It's such a difficult position you both find yourselves in.

12. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jan 20, 2008

I am having difficulties with my paras as well. I figured it was just the situation, but sounds like it happens all over. I have one student that needs a para at all times. She has one para in the morning and a different para in the afternoon. Mom wants her in the classroom as much as possible. Therefore, the paras are in the classroom alot. The morning paras will follow me around the classroom and talk to me rather than working with her student. She says she is giving her independent working time. She is well below my students and is not able to work independently. She causes more distraction when the para does this. I have tried to walk away and not talk to her. I am busy trying to help my students.

The afternoon para tends to question my teaching when she is the room. I have students that has a speech difficulty and says her s's like and x. The student was spelling a word aloud and it sounded like she said and x or a s, but I knew what she meant and repeated the word, so all the students could hear it correctly. I did not say anything because of course it would have mortified the little girl. The para spoke up in front of the class and said she said and x instead of s. I simply said she spelled it correctly and went on. The para gave me a dirty look.

When I try to give helpful teaching styles to the paras for the child they work with, they shrug it off and don't use it. The paras plan the lessons for this child and they are not qualified teachers. I am simply trying to give them some helpful tools for them to use. It is a whole different story on why the spec ed teacher has nothing to do with the lessons. But to make it short the paras have no training and are supposed to rely on me to help with the planning. But they can do it on their own!

I am going to pull my hair out, but I continue to tell myself next year they will not be in my classroom.

13. teacher07

teacher07 New Member

Jan 20, 2008

I think the your aid feels like you trusted her to tell her about your engagment but now you don't tell her anything. You need to decide which way it is. Is she your friend or is she a co-worker. I know it is hard to not share with people you work with everyday but if you are unwilling to share with your students then don't share with your assistant. The best course for you right now is to take the high road. Act as nothing has happened and treat her the same. I would also ask if next year you could have a different assistant.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2008

thanks to all for your support...it's good to know that we are not alone

I think teacher07 make a good comment about trust factor..and that's what ticks me off the most. I tried to welcome my aid into the room, show her around the building, make small talk about family and food & stuff..even brought her a Christmas present!!!

teacher1st, I notice my sp ed threapists do the same thing..walk around following and talking to me instead of pulling my kids out. I tell them I am working with one kid, but they don't get the message. I am really getting annoyed at this and I will bring it up too. My kids need this time with the therapists and they shouldn't be getting away with sitting around gabbing with me!

starista..I too hope that things will soon work out for you. We are trying to remain professional and calm...despite all the madness. I am glad that we had today off too, because I start taking off when I get totally po'd.

That's when administration finally takes notice!

what gets me the most is that she doesn't act this way when anyone else is in the room...which lets me know she KNOWS what she is doing. so yes, teresaglass..I definitely have brought it up with my P.

hoping for the best..getting too old for this mess!

15. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jan 21, 2008

The paras in my room are very gabby with the principal. I do not feel like it would stay confidential if I went to the principal. I work in a very small district. There is only 13 first graders total. Complaints get around fast. I feel it would just make matters worse!

16. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 21, 2008

The para has other issues besides you in her life. Unless you plan on having a grand friendship with her, keep it strictly professional.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 22, 2008

I have never had a para so I am only drawing on my experience in similar situations when other staff think they should question your decisions.

#1 - the rules and expectations need to be set down right at the start - if that doesn't work, or if you assumed that this was a reasonable person and you two would work well together, now is the time to clear the air.

Call a meeting. Practice your best professional personna. "It seems we have a communication problem. I feel I should clear the air and let you know the expectations in my (MY) classroom. I see you as a valuable part of the classroom and I value your thoughts. However, I am the one who makes the decisions for the classroom. It is not a democracy. blahblah . .I want to hear what you have to say, but I have to ask that you not question my decisions in front of the children. If there is something you want to ask about, please ask me after class."

As for the personal snub - she is trying to control you. I had this from another teacher a couple of years ago. She could not control me, she actually threw something at me and hit me in the back of the neck! When I addressed the issue, she would not discuss it.

When administration got involved, she refused to meet with anyone (this was after she argued and yelled at me in front of several classes of students! They were standing there with their mouths hanging open!) She literally would pass me in the hall and not return my greeting! She looked right through me and told everyone how mean I was to her! (they all stuck up for me!)

This woman is into control. Tell her you will not be sharing personal information during class time. I told my persecutor "When I am at school, I am here to work. I do not have time for anything else." If she continues to snub you, ignore her totally! I am sure you have what it takes to be the professional and fly high. After a while the snubbing doesn't have an effect anymore.

Sorry for all of you going through this! At least for me, I could retreat to my own little classroom and have some measure of peace!

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

This is just downright crazy!

OMG..IT JUST GOT WORSE.

I tried that bonnieb!

I am the one who makes the decisions for the classroom. It is not a democracy. blahblah . .I want to hear what you have to say, but I have to ask that you not question my decisions in front of the children. If there is something you want to ask about, please ask me after class."

and my P and this aide turned around and stabbed me in the chest with it! My P says to us "We are all professionals and you (the aide) should be able to fix others mistakes, and make changes as you see fit."

What?! :eek: Is she gonna sign my check? Is she giving me a performance evaluation in May too? :huh:

Did I interview with this aide? I am not even sure if this is the same P I interviewed with now..she is totally different!!! I didn't know this aide had a right to ignore my teaching instructions and totally blow off my lesson plan!

at this point, why am I even writing a lesson plan?!

so now I am supposed to be a fool, lie down and roll over while she questions me?!

and when the kids start going around doing less and not performing well on tests, who is going get blamed for it? :confused:

and I will say, WELL...

I had developmentally appropriate lesson plans, and guided reading activites, and prepared for individualized learning.

but... YOUR aide decided she wanted to play house and color in coloring books all day...

now what?!

I am thru...I am so mad, I can't belive it. :unsure:

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 22, 2008

Unbelieveable! You will have to stand your ground and do it the hard way. If she tries to go outside your lesson plan, go around the classroom and pick up the coloring pages she has passed out! Tell everyone, "We'll save these for later in the day, after our work is done. Plus, extra recess for everyone who gets to work right away!" Use every nasty tactic in the book to get those kids listening to you and showing them you are the boss!!

Oh my gosh! I can't believe what you are going through!

Do you write your schedule on the board every morning? That might help. I do this every day, so the kids know what is coming. We go over it first thing in the morning after seat work. Then at the end of the day we go over it and check off what we did get done. None of her stuff will be written on the board! Set a super fast pace, and reward the kids for getting behind you and on the ball - extra 10 min. recess, extra 10 minute choice time before lunch, a game period during math time, etc. I use smelly chapsticks - whoever is getting right to MY work and directions gets a "smelly" on their hands - they will jump through hoops for this! Attach a small reward chart to every desk. When a child starts following your directions, put a sticker on it! Keep the stickers in your own hands.

Get your plan, get every piece of paperwork or supplies that you need at your fingertips, don't leave the front of the room, keep talking the whole livelong day. Don't give in!! Send her out of the room every chance you get!

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 22, 2008

I feel bad for the kids too! This has to be confusing to them. This is crazy! We are supporting you all the way. Oh, I just hate it when crazy people get in charge, or inflict themselves on people who are trying to do what they are supposed to. Nuts!

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 22, 2008

Oh - I am furious myself!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

You wanna know something ironic? I think I have the opposite problem. I love that my teacher treats me more like a team teacher but sometimes I think she forgets that I really am her aide. I work my butt off, plan my own centers (with permission and encouragement), deal with communications, emails and paperwork and go above and beyond everyday. At the same time, I try to respect my boundaries and follow her plan, etc. I suggest things but in the end I leave it up to her. Well today it was the rarest fluke that we both had sick kids. She wanted me to come in and set up. It makes since because I live in town and she drives 45 min to come to work. I didn't want to do it though because I would have to get 2 kids dressed and drop them off at the day care. This means I have to be up at 5am just to get there before school starts and set up. I don't get paid for all that. Heck, I'm still contract. Then when my other child started throwing up that was the clencher. I couldn't leave them at home nor was it prudent to take them with me. She asked if the oldest could watch them. Legally he cannot. I didn't hear squat from her after I refused. I still don't know if she stayed all day or went to set up. I emailed her today but I haven't heard from her (and it is her pager). I wanted so bad to say, "This is YOUR classroom. I don't HAVE to go above and beyond ALL the time." I let it go. That's all I can do especially since I don't know for sure what she was thinking.

Gosh, I'm off today and if you note my other posts you will see I'm busy planning. But at some point, through all my FREE labor, I have the right to excercise some of the PERKS of being the aide instead of the teacher.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

I need a smiley who can shake his head...

this is just disgusting... bonnb, I just want to pull my hair out!

you know cng, I had a similiar story when I was taking last courses towards certificaton. I had a saturday class, and because I was the grad student, my instructor always picked on me.

one day, she called me and had the nerve to say...

"I want you to takeover the class this saturday. I can't make it. Read this chapter, study notes, I will leave a quiz, but it won't be graded...."

(at this point I tuned her out...a quiz and no grade? I'm not going myself!)

"and I want this, and I want that, blah blah.."

(my kid starts throwing up) I say, I have to go, my kid is sick, and I wonder...hey, I don't get sub pay for covering a college class, is she nuts? I am a student! I run to get my daughter. And say, "I am sorry, but my child is sick, I HAVE to go!"

she says, okay..I'll just go on in. :unsure:

That saturday, I show up and she has all four blackboards covered in notes!

she was a real lunatic!

we made an attendance sheet, signed it and left it at the dean's office! and me and my daughter went home for a much needed break. yeah, I had to drag her out to this saturday class, and the teacher still didn't show up! why didn't she just cancel class?! :crosseyed

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 22, 2008

Crazies, that's what it is.

There seem to be 2 kinds of people: the normal, nice people who are really trying to get along in the world without getting run over and the CRAZIES - who live to impose themselves and their meanness on the rest of us! They are everywhere, and it makes the nice people have to get really tough just for self preservation. I have had to change so much because I just ran out of niceness - I had to start sticking up for myself.

Crazies. Everyone, stick up for yourselves and what you know to be right. Make sure, then stand your ground! Let's go!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

Okay,

but what do you think this P is thinking???

does she actually believe we will just kiss and make up?!

how the heck can I teach if she keeps circumventing me?

I can't even think of words to describe how stupid this is!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

I'm gonna say this without going back and reading everything again and without knowing the person in question....

Sometimes people don't realize they are overstepping their boundaries or are circumventing you. They may KNOW this if you tell them but by habit do the opposite. So maybe if she DOES respond when you tell her the situation and she is trying to be on your good side, you can work with this. Try to see if you can develop cue phrases that help this person figure out what they are doing without being confrontational each time.

If the person is willfully doing it, without remorse even if you tell them up front at that moment, then of course that's a different situation.

But in most cases, people get so used to doing their job and different aspects of it and that includes thinking on the spot that they forget where the lines actually are and just need a nudge.

I'm tired and haven't gone back to read what was said before so I'm guessing this isn't the case but I thought I would throw it out there that not all acts of a person going against the teacher is as much willful as it is habit and being in the moment (and passionate about their viewpoints).

27. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jan 22, 2008

I feel for you!!! I don't know what I would do if I found out the paras in my classroom were doing things like this. The student they work with leaves the classroom. Maybe I will keep a better eye on their lessons for the day. I guess my problem doesn't sound near as difficult when I hear your pain. SORRY!

If the talk didn't work maybe a little paperwork to keep your back out of the fire would work. Maybe it would work to give them goals and an agenda typed up everyday. At the end of the day they need to let you know what their students accomplished from the goals and agenda you gave them at the beginning of the day. I know this is a lot more paperwork for you; however, it might hold them accountable. Then you have proof of what you expected and what they completed. This gives you a little firing power next time. I would list the objectives that you are touching on during that day. Then, have them check them off and list the activity to complete the objective. They may get tired of the extra work and relinquish to your ways. Remember it is YOUR classroom and YOUR a**.

Good Luck!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

I know it's late...but I still see a valid point that the P is missing.

This person is willingly doing whatever the heck she wants, because that is what she wants. Yet, she has no degree, class or anything in ECH. She is just babying them. Period. That is all she wants to do. When she says, "You can't control me", I hear her saying I want to do this. Like a pain-in-the-butt mother in law, "I will spoil my grandkids!"

Doesn't matter what you think is best. :unsure:

Excuse me Ms. Principal, but nobody is trying to be a control freak, well...maybe she is..usually that is the first thing an abusive spouse says..."I'm not trying to control you!"

OH!!!!...Now I see what is happening...

She wants to get into a confrontation
    P does not..

You know folks, I have come to the realization that I need to work from home and/or go into business for myself.

I have been abused too many times and now I clearly see what is happening.

And doggonit! I am sick of it!

Can't fight back. You never win. There are more of them than there are of us. And they always make it look like it is our fault.

I'm changing strategies...

not fighting

not covering my a**
    just sitting on it for awhile

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 23, 2008

So Starista - how are things going after a couple of days?

30. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 29, 2008

Hi!

Things are "better," but still very awkward. I am trying to get past my feelings of disappointment in my assistant. She is with me all day long, and it's very awkward when the children are at specials and she and I are alone in the classroom. I am hoping this will pass sometime soonlike. :)

She is a mother of a first and fourth grader, and I worry that she talks ill of me on the soccer field, etc. She's told people personal stuff about me before, which I have been able to look past, but this time it would be going too far.

I am debating whether or not I will speak with my principal about switching assistants next year. She IS incredibly good with the kids, but the awkwardness and "eggshells" isn't conducive to a healthy workplace.

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

well mine has gone totally psycho, walking around like nothing is wrong....

I am so tired of this.

I notice she seems to be very hyper, likes to keep busy (in more ways than one :mad:), spends more time playing than the kids! Really speaks volumes. Control freaks! I tell you...So annoying!! Keeps bugging me, and I just keep doing my own thing. Period.

I think my aide has ADHD!

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2008

Princpal promised by Fridayshe would talk to AFH. Calls me and yes, back to Dr. Jekyll! Says it's all my fault, I am nit-picking! Aide talking real crazy, "You look at me when you are talking!" I start talking crazy too.. (Uh, I am NOT talking to you, no I will not look at you) Principal doesn't do squat! Aide denies everything, everything!

Aide gets up and walks out. Princpal lets her! Uh, isn't that grounds for termination?! I say, aren't you going to talk to her, or go check and make sure she doesn't mess up my stuff. Princpal says, "Bother your stuff? Nah-nah-nah, you are paranoid, she doesn't want your stuff. You are a grown woman you don't need anybody watching you."

I am appalled!

Then she says, "I got kids in that gym, you gonna get them or quit?" :0 "You only got a few kids today I can stick them in anywhere!"

sigh...