How bad of a blunder..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sshintaku, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jun 2, 2010

My job is very up in the air right now due to teacher cuts, budget and what have you. We have a new principal coming in for next year, who has started taking over the school already. A teacher in my department is retiring, and I e-mailed new principal about the job, basically saying I am on a temporary contract, and was wondering if he could give me any information about how her job is going to be filled, I'd like to stay at the school, etc etc.

I addressed it to Mr. Castro. His name is not Castro. It is a very similar name, starts with a C. He responds, "are you writing to the right person...im not mr. castro," and that's all he wrote.

I don't know the man. He doesn't know me. I don't know to read this as he was offended and thus refused to answer the questions I had written in my e-mail or what. I sent him an apology, but I'm definitely sweating this.

Thoughts on how deep of a hole I may have just dug for myself?

3. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Yes, it was a blunder. I would do some back pedaling...send an email stating that you were confused, in a pickle, not paying attention, or what ever excuse you can think of, apologize for getting the name wrong and explain the email was to him and then leave it at that. If he chooses to answer he will, if not move on. Better to be honest than to keep him wondering.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 3, 2010

I know with our district e-mail people will look up someone like Smith and there are 10 options, they choose the wrong one. So he may have geniunely wondered if you meant to e-mail him and thus didn't want to answer in case it wasn't your intention.

I can't think of a way to phrase it, but maybe if you could come up with something with a little humor. You know like when someone falls down and says "that's why they didn't name me Grace". Something to make him laugh it off and also remember you in a positive way.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 3, 2010

He is new to the school, so it is an honest blunder. I would send another email to apologize and confirm that, yes, the email was intended for him. Remember that just saying "yes" or "no" is a legitimate answer...you don't have to give any extra details or try to explain WHY you got his name wrong. Just a simple "Please accept my apology for typing the wrong name. My message was, indeed, intended for you. I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience."

Hopefully, the P genuinely just wants to make sure the email was meant for him and wasn't delivered in error. If, on the other hand, he is the type of pompous admin that considers such a simple human error to be an unforgivably egregious offense, you probably wouldn't want to work for him anyway.

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

Great advice from everyone! Cerek, especially well said...I agree. :)
    Sshintaku, take heart. It could happen to anyone....even HIM!! :)

7. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I somehow doubt he thought it was intended for anyone besides him, and just felt like making my mistake glaringly obvious, and not responding to the rest of the e-mail. *sigh* Thus far, I haven't been impressed with his personal skills, although he may just be someone who is very curt without meaning to be rude.

I did send an apology saying I don't know why I had Castro in my head, I'm sorry. I did intend it to go to you. And now the waiting game continues..

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 3, 2010

He might have e-mailed that to you to just make sure you could clarify--- maybe he didn't even read the rest of the e-mail after he saw the mistake in the name (he could be trying to be polite by not reading an email that might not be for him). I would apologize (as you did) and forget about it. And if he's that overly sensitive about it and will hold it against you--- it shows you who is the real adult in the situation.

I have a 10 letter long last name and I never get upset if someone calls me the wrong last name. Some teachers even call me by my first initial (so Ms. T.) because they forget. lol

9. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I am really distraught and slightly disgusted. Here is a copy of my apology, and the response I just received.

Apology:
    AH! I don't know why I had Castro in my head. What a horrible thing to do!

I'm sorry. I was indeed trying to write to you, Mr. Cedros, although now I certainly don't blame you if you choose not to answer.

Response:
    im good

WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS?

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2010

You might remail the original or one that is similar using his correct name. Just start over.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 3, 2010

Maybe he is just overwhelmed with everything going on. I would just follow up with a light note asking about the job. Even better, is there a way to see him?

12. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I apologized again for the confusion, and asked if there was convenient time to discuss it in person. Here's hoping.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 3, 2010

I take his response to mean that he accepts your apology and understands it was an honest mistake.

If you do get a chance to see him in person, do NOT bring up the mistake again. It's over and done. It is better to move on and leave it behind instead of bringing it back to life again.

I understand how easy (and tempting) it is to apologize one more time and try to explain again why it happened. I was fired unjustly (IMO) from a job several years ago and, naturally, was very hurt and angry over this. When I went to job counseling to start looking for a new job, one of the counselors did practice interviews with me. Whenever the question of my termination came up, I keptgiving a long, detailed explanation of what happened and why I felt it was unjustified. The counselor gave me some excellent advice. She said "The bigger deal you make out of this, the bigger an issue it will be with a future employer. Don't make such a big deal out of it. Give the bare facts and move on. Most employers will understand the situation on their own and won't consider it overly important unless you give them a reason to." So we developed a one-statement response to why I was terminated and it was never an issue in any of my interviews.

Just move forward and make sure you get his name correct from now on. ;)

14. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Speak to him in person. Some people won't talk via email about jobs. If it is written then it means they have to stick to it.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2010

It sounds like maybe they were trying to make a joke in the first email to me (especially with the I'm good response). I agree with previous posters that you should just not bring it back up and instead keep on trucking. Definitely talk whit him face to face and try to be breezy (but not crazy). Good luck!