How bad can K/1st graders be?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Seneca_22, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Seneca_22

Seneca_22 New Member

Aug 24, 2009

My daughter starts school this year and will either be in K or 1st grade, possbly a combo class. I'm just wondering how bad kids can be at this age. When I think back to my days, it wasn't so much the kids in my class as much as it was the 2nd and 3rd graders who seemed to bully at times. The girls would get in little arguments here and there and try to tell me not to talk to so and so because of this or that.

What are some of the protocols you guys see that kind of keep the younger ones separated from the older ones? My daughter is tall for her age though and a little advanced, so who knows what will happen. I'm sure everything will be fine, but anything you guys see in those grades would be helpful.

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I taught K last year and am teaching 1st this year. Most of the bullying or "bad" stuff that went on for me last year was a couple kids who would get upset and then tell another kid they weren't friends anymore. They would come to me in a huff and we'd talk briefly about how we're all friends and the need for using kind words. Then they'd go off and play like nothing had happened! Kindergartners have short term memory, haha! Most time the kids were fighting over what game to play or how to play it. Not forming cliques or being nasty to each other like older kids sometimes can.

Our K and 1st graders rarely interacted with 2nd or 3rd graders. Different parts of the building, different lunch periods, different recess times...

I don't think there's too much to worry about. Your daughter will have to learn how to work and play with other kids eventually and it's best to start early!

4. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

I teach first/second and the things I hear about are "I'm not inviting you to my birthday party" and "You are not my friend." They do have short-term memory loss about these things, though, and bounce back well.
    The older kids have different schedules than the primary group at my school- for instance, in the lunchroom we eat by grade level so K and 1 might overlap a little and then 1 and 2 might but the 5th graders are not with the kindergartners at lunch. Our school does do a buddy program with 5th graders who are selected by their teachers. They choose two fifth graders to sit with some of the kindergartners on the bus for the first few weeks so that the little ones feel comfortable. I think it helps them to have a big kid looking out for them.