How available are you during breaks?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Oct 15, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2012

We just had our week long break here and I got an email half way in from a parent asking for my phone number so that their child could call me because they had a question. Now, I didn't assign them any homework or anything over the break. They do have a science fair project due at the end of the month and I told them if they have questions to email me at my teacher email and I would try to respond. Which I did to the four kids who sent me an email.

I didn't respond to the parent. I just don't feel like I need to be 100% logged on during my beach weekend! I didn't carry my cell phone anywhere and I certainly wasn't going to be troubled to bring it just so I could answer a student question.

Are you 100% available during breaks?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

I check my email regularly and would probably answer a colleague's question. I would not respond to any parent emails unless it were a crisis or emergency situation that is not school related.

4. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 15, 2012

My students all have my home phone number and of course my email address. I am always available, but so far no students have misused this. I have told students "It's the weekend....I have no idea what assignments you are missing right now, because I do not have my marks sheets here in my kitchen. Come see me Monday." :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

I can be available if necessary, but I cannot guarantee that I will check my email.

When returning from break, I would touch base with both the student and parent. Let them know that you are here to answer any questions but that you missed the email because you were not with your computer.

Now, since you were taking emails from other students, I would have emailed this parent back and asked that the student email you the question as you don't take your phone with you. You have to be consistent in this regard.

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 15, 2012

I stick to email only for break communication. This way I can check it if I want or not check it. Over the weekend I check my email regularly and respond. It works for the students and for me.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

I rarely get emails from parents over break. I don't really know why.

If I do, I respond immediately. No reason not to, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2012

Yes, I do check my email on many evenings, weekends, & at a time or two during breaks. I may choose to reply to certain ones, but as a whole, I don't reply to most of them. We're all human & not a machine who has to repond to everything within 48 hrs or something.

On certain free days of mine, I may not even answer my cell phone because: 1) no one's that important...that's what voicemail is for AND 2) I'm not living life according to a schedule/calendar 24/7. I never feel guilty about responding when I get back.

One time, my mentor was supposed to be sitting in on a meeting for me because the meeting landed on my non-work day. She texted me, telling me it was rescheduled for a later time that day & asked if I could attend, but I never replied that day. Without guilt, I just emailed her on my next work day that I sometimes don't carry my cell phone on me. It all worked out & she knew she had to go ahead & attend the meeting.

I'm not even talking about parents when I stated the above. They will definitely wait till my next business day.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

I try to check my email a few times a day.

But that's my choice, not theirs. I try to get back to them promptly. Up until now, I've never hit an occasion where I didn't respond immediately.

But I also have a family. So if they're waiting by their computers on Christmas morning, they're going to be disappointed.

If an administrator or colleague calls at any time at all, I'm available.

The only phone number I give out is the school phone number

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

I am not available to parents or students during breaks. Even if I check my email, I don't respond to anything until I'm back on the clock.

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 15, 2012

I have my email connected to my phone, so I can read an email whenever. However, unless it's some type of emergency, I don't respond over the weekend or during the evening. If I do respond, it's letting that person know I received it, but I don't have my schoolwork with me so I'll have to get back to them when I'm at work.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 15, 2012

I am usually pretty fast with responding to emails, and I would reply if a parent emailed me during a break. I would not provide my home phone number under any circumstances, though.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 15, 2012

The only phone number my students have is my school phone number. I think it forwards any messages to my cell phone if I'm not there to answer it. If it's urgent I would call back immediately, but I would see if I could use e-mail first. Most of our parents have emails logged into Aeries which is usually always accessible. If I called from my cell, the parents would have my cell, and that's been a nightmare in the past...

I always respond to emails within 24 hours whether on vacation or not, even if it's just a "I'm not sure about that, let me get back to you".

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 15, 2012

It's all up to personal choice. I check my email regularly (it goes straight to my phone) and usually respond pretty quickly regardless of when I receive it, unless I am in class lecturing or giving a lesson.

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2012

I check my email about once a day during breaks, unless I'm traveling or busy. I will usually reply right away because it usually doesn't take too long to respond to emails. If it's something that will take me a while, then I'll tell the student or parent that I'll get back to them after break.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 15, 2012

I check my email at least once daily--whether I'm on vacation or not. Many of the emails I get don't require a response (especially those from my principal/vice-principal). They're just a heads up or an FYI.

17. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Oct 15, 2012

It's connected to my phone so I might read it, but I save my replies for the workday... unless it's an absolute emergency.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2012

I'm not available to parents outside of contract hours.

I'm available to colleagues when I feel like it.

19. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

If I didn't respond outside of contract hours, I would never have the opportunity to talk to parents when I have enough time to really respond. I will respond to emails just about anytime - night, weekends, vacations if it is something important. I ignore the rest until I have the time and energy.

20. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Oct 15, 2012

I don't check my school email in the evenings or on the weekends, because if there is an email from an upset parent, there's nothing I can do about it, but I'll sit there and worry about it all night. I learned that one the hard way several years ago. During longer breaks, I'll check my email once or twice a week, and respond to anything that needs a response. This rarely happens during a break though.