how are your student desks setup?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by km51571, Aug 13, 2008.

1. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I usually place my students in groups of desks. However, when I was setting up my classroom yesterday I put the desks in a U-shape. Any advice/feedback for how to setup students desks at the beginning of the year?

I will probably rearrange at the start of the 2nd marking period. Thanks!

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

oh my gosh, I was just about to post this :) wow

4. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I have groups though because I do a lot of group work during the week. I put them in groups of 4, I think it works well for me :)

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

Right now, I have rows. I do that for about a week until I get to know the kids.

I usually do groups of 4-5. Last year, I had fewer students and could do groups of 4 w/ the 2 desks facing each other, and the 5th desk being an empty at the end. Then when I went around to help, I had a seat.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

I think it's a good idea to start with rows for the first week. That way you can get a feel for the students and who can be grouped together with minimal problems. I like to move desks every few weeks or so. I like pods of 4 the best, but I've also done rows, the U, and two lines of 10 desks, five facing five. Like this:

) ( ..................... ) (

7. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I really like U's because everyone can see each other's eyes when they are talking. I also like it because everyone is included - no cliques at lunchtime.

However, sometimes they get too social and have trouble focusing in class - then I switch to partners or groups.

I usually end up switching my desks around 3 or 4 times before school starts!! You'll get a good feel for what you can do after you meet the kids - if they a social group, or a quiet group . . .

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I always start the year off with my desks set up in rows. I'll keep them this way for the first couple weeks of school while I get to know my new students. I am not a fan of grouping kids together before knowing who will get "chatty."

I rearrange seats frequently throughout the year. Once a month. I think the students like the change of scenery and neighbors! Sometimes I'll keep the general arrangement and just switch the students, but other times I'll totally change everything. I've tried regular rows, horizontal rows, the u, groups of 4/5, paired rows, etc. I like to switch it up.

9. Grace

Grace Companion

Aug 13, 2008

Mine are in an "E" shape right now. Two U-shaped groups, with a couple of desk in the middle because my room is too small. I think it will work well for the first few weeks, but I have a feeling I might be switching to groups once we delve further into our content lessons.

10. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I was thinking a spread out U shaped (desks not connecting) since my room is insaning huge and I don't know what to do with all the extra space...

11. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I agree. I start the year off in rows. A couple of weeks later I'll put the desks in a U shape. Then, once the kids are ready to work together in groups, I put them in groups of 4. I really like the idea of gradually easing the children into groups, and in the long run, it make classroom management MUCH easier for me.

12. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 13, 2008

In my room are 18 desks and I had them in a U shape. Then the secretary told me not to get too attached because I'm getting 9-10 more students!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

I've had the U shape for a couple of years now and love it.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

I arrange mine in pods of three-- three's the magic number for me. With two people, sometimes you get a dud. With four people, it becomes a social group. I like 3.

15. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I suppose I'll keep my U-shape for now and then ease into groups.
    Bandner--never thought of 3's before, just sketched it out on paper and love it. I will definitely be trying that this year!

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Mine are in groups of four. I like how I did it this year, because two are facing forward, and two are facing inward. This helps because there is only one kid in each group that needs to turn their body to see the front of the room. So I make sure I put really good listeners there! Sort of like this:

| |
    _ _

17. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 13, 2008

My desks are in a U because I don't have enough space otherwise. It's a very small U.