How Are Your Report Cards Done?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DHE, Dec 22, 2013.

1. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2013

In reading many of the comments on here, I hear many comments from teachers about writing out report cards. Our reports cards, comments, etc. can all be done electronically. When I first started teaching, we used bubble sheets which we bubbled in the grade and codes for comments.

So how many of you still write out report cards?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 22, 2013

We use Power School, so everything is done online.

4. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

This.

5. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

We use Gradespeed. I just have to click verify on my grades and then the secretary takes care of the printing.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 22, 2013

We use Infinite Campus, so it is all electronic.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 22, 2013

We write comments for every student. Several paragraphs each. They are all on an online portal, and the portal always crashes around report card time because the whole province is using them at once. Next year there's a change coming, apparently.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2013

We also use an online portal. We had problems with crashing a couple of years ago, but that has been rectified. We write anecdotal comments, and assign grades, for each subject area as well as for 6 learning skills.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 22, 2013

We use Powerschool, so we just update the grades and make sure everything is final.
    Where I used to work: it was a nightmare. Because it was juvenile hall, the students couldn't have been put in their appropriate classes, for example we had an English class (not English, 1, 2, etc). When report card time I had to first of all figure out how much credit the student was getting (because they came and went quickly), and then look at their transcript to see what was in the next sequence.
    So 3 students from the same class could have received 2.5 credits in English 3, (we had a quarter system), 1 cr in English 1 and 2 credits in English 2.
    It was a lot of work, especially when someone made a mistake, we had to check it, resubmit it, or explain that it wasn't a mistake, etc.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2013

Our report card system is online but separate from our online gradebook. We have to select letter grades and conduct grades for each student, along with one of the 8 or 10 pre-selected comments ("Pleasure to have in class", "Lack of daily participation", etc.).

Next year we're switching formats, so hopefully everything (grades, attendance, all of it) will be in one big system. I think we might be switching to Infinite Campus, but I'm not entirely sure. Whatever we switch to has got to be a million times better than the system we currently use.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2013

Our district uses PowerTeacher Gradebook. Everything is online, but you can type in original comments if you do not like the pre-selected ones. You can also override the calculated grade and enter something else.

12. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 22, 2013

Everything is online, same program as attendance---Teacher Access Center. We do not give comments any more, we just import the averages as letter grades from the grade book and submit them...takes all of 5 seconds per class.

13. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

Regarding comments: Are they mandatory for you? Optional?

Not to hijack the thread but I am curious.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 22, 2013

Our report cards used to be pulled from our online gradebooks, but now teachers are required to enter them into another system. Comments are suggested from a set list but not required. Manual comments are no longer available.

15. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 22, 2013

Last year at my old school we did paper report cards. At my current school we also use powerteacher. We don't have actual gradecards at all. Parents just log onto powerschool and check the grades like they normally would.

16. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 22, 2013

We write full paragraphs discussing students strengths, areas of improvement, and strategies for improvement, so I write them all out before inputting them into the online system.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2013

Comments for us are mandatory--about 8 sentences each for English and Mathematics, 2 to 3 sentences each for each other subject area, 6-8 sentences addressing learning skills.

Not counting the compilation of grades, it takes me anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes per student to complete their report card.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2013

Well, I have to assess each child's skills indivually for each progress report and report card. The report cards are online, but I have to mark each box.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2013

Optional. Admin asks us to put comments for every kid - some teachers do, others do not. I only put comments if the student is failing or if the "Student is a pleasure to teach."

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2013

Does this ever pose a problem for parents?
    Why? Is this mandatory? How many students do you have?

This seems obsessive for middle or high school student.

21. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 23, 2013

Our report cards are done online. We also write a paragraph of comments noting reading level,math level, and behavior. We were told that it is documentation for RTI.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 23, 2013

Ours are all done electronically. Comments are mandatory and must include a strength, challenge and goal in each subject area and for learning behaviors. It easily takes me an hour per child to write report cards. Our new program does allow for some 'batch comments' but our administrators do not want to see 'cookie cutter comments'. We also cannot write our opinions (i.e. Susie is a pleasure to teach). We can only comment on observable skills.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2013

I still write them out and then type my comments and print them on labels. Apparently ours will be electronic next year.

24. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 23, 2013

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2013

Here's something interesting:

As a teacher, I included a detailed & thoughtful comment on each student's report card. One of my administrators would sign report cards each quarter and that was that.

Now, as an administrator, I have to sign report cards. I noticed that there are several teachers who write the same comment on every single report card: "________ is progressing."

There's not much I can say to the teachers because technically, they did write a comment. I have to be very careful about what I do/don't say because we have an extremely strong teachers' union.

I guess what I'm trying to communicate is that I assumed everyone put a lot of effort into report card comments like I used to. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

26. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2013

I'm not allowed to put personalized comments. I have a bank of about 1000 comments I can choose from, with only about 20 per quarter that would be remotely appropriate for any of my kids. The system we use is pretty obnoxious, and individualizing comments takes hours (and the comments are bad enough "teacherspeak" that personalizing them would make no difference. Our system allows us to instantly put the same comment for all kids, so that's what I do, and then I go in and tweak as needed. I don't see any particular point to spending hours personalizing such useless comments, since I'd give most the same comment anyway.

If your system lets you actually write comments for kids, that's a different story though... although honestly, I probably wouldn't spend much effort personalizing comments, even if I could free-write. I'd much rather give that feedback to parents via phone or other conversations.

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2013

Our report cards are generated electronically. If I have kept up with inputting grades, the report cards themselves take about 10 minutes to complete the class set. We can't write any comments.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2013

When you teach at a site where 50% of the kids have disconnected phone numbers and parents don't show up for conferences, report cards are our way of letting parents know how their child has progressed during the nine-week-long period. It's a summary of how their child has performed in class. Plus, a parent signature is required, so we do know that they received it. Whether or not they actually read it is a different story.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2013

It's interesting how different report cards are in various places. Because of my experience, I can't imagine sending home report cards that only contain a grade and no comments. As a parent, and a teacher, these have always been the most important part of the report card as they say so much more than a "B" or a "84%" does.

30. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2013

Ah, alright. Different environments then. I had all 28 parents attend parent-teacher conferences, and I've spoken, either through phone, email, or in person, with each of my parents every month of the school year.

31. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 23, 2013

We are supposed to choose from a bank for our report card comments. We *can* come up with our own comments, but it is not encouraged. I write detailed comments on our progress reports. Many teachers don't write any comments at all for those, but I feel they're important. Now, of course I have no idea if the comments are actually being read, but at least I feel like I have tried to communicate with the parents.

Our report card system is a mess. We started using a new online grading program and standards based report cards last year. Well, since we are switching to Common Core next year (we're in CA - we're behind), the report card will totally change again. So, we are stuck entering BOTH in the online program AND in a spreadsheet. It takes me over an hour to enter ONE test for my class of 20. It's truly a mess. And the best part is that we always get our spreadsheet after we've had about a month of grades accumulate and we haven't been able to enter anything....I just don't even want to talk about it. :dizzy::mad:

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2013

We don't have to write comments on our report cards. I usually don't. I do send home test papers weekly or bi-weekly and this is where I make most of my comments. I also have room on my test paper cover sheet for parents to make comments. I make many phone calls, also.