How are your kids from last year doing?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Aug 22, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

My kids aren't doing very good and I'm really upset about it! Last year was my first year so I know I could've done better but I was seriously overwhelmed. HOWEVER ... my kids showed GREAT progress over the year and their report cards prove it! Could it be that they just lost everything they learned over the summer .... or they are just struggling with their new teacher and/or 1st grade?

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 23, 2010

I think the beginning is always hard. The teachers in first are just remember what first was like at the END of the year... so it is hard for them to backtrack. So give it a few weeks then ask again!

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 23, 2010

I agree with Mrsammieb, everyone has to get back into the swing of things. Give it a little time. When did they start back to school?

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 23, 2010

I think that you also have to realize that some first grade teachers have really high expectations for their students. They, like the previous posters have stated, remember their previous classes how they were at the end of the year. I do sometimes go to the first grade teachers (after the first nine weeks of school) and ask if there is anything I can do better to prepare my kids for first grade.

I am sure you are doing a wonderful job teaching kindergarten.

6. prissy1

prissy1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Last year I started in First Grade and saw just how much the Kinders lose over the summer. A couple of weeks later they all got back into the swing of it and it all came rushing back. They started writing great sentences again and remembering all their sight words so...don't worry. But also use it as a chance to better yourself this year.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 24, 2010

We don't go back until next week... I've gotten some nice emails from parents about my kids from last year though. :)

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 24, 2010

We don't go back until next week. I hope they will be ok. I already miss my smarty pants class.

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

So far, I am getting good reports from the first grade teachers. One really does have high expectations and always remembers how high her 1st graders were at the of May. I always tell her that they will be fine and so will she (and they are)! :)

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

Well, let me tell you. I have 2/3's of my class from last year and I can't believe how many things that we did every day that they have just lost. I keep saying "I know we did this last year, because you did it with me!". :confused:

We do a number of the day in math and you would have thought I was speaking them in Chinese today-we did this EVERY day last year. 1-0=0, hello?! I do think some of it is summer slide and some is the jolt back into having higher expectatations. Some of them completely lost the ability to write with spaces-just gone. I have work from them from last year-they could do it-it wasn't my imagination.

Anyway, don't take it personally-now I know why our 1st Grade teachers would complain so much! :haha: