How are you spending your winter break?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Dec 27, 2011.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2011

I'm loving being home in PJs and playing with the kids.

Just curious what others are up to. Hope you are all relaxing and recharging.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2011

I've been hanging out with my little one and doing all the things that I can't do with her when I work.

But I'm also working on reenergizing my lessons for my classroom and getting ready for my maternity leave.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

Being lazy, visiting some friends, start a spring cleaning :) going to the gym every day.
    I still have to grade some essays and other papers, catch up on all student grades, plan for the next 2 weeks. but I'm not stressed about it, I definitely have enough time.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2011

Don't ask. :(

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2011

More hugs, Alice.

I'm enjoying the time with my family, relaxing, reading, catching up on grading, and getting ahead on planning.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 27, 2011

Combination of getting chores done and doing stuff with my kids. Went to the gym today and hope to go at least two more times during the break.

Hugs Alice.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2011

Just got back from whirlwind 24 hour trip upstate NY for dh's family Christmas. Looking forward to some restful days this week with dh and sons, a bit of shopping, some reading. Want to get into NYC to see the tree, walk around maybe on Thursday and I might do one hour tutoring tomorrow.
    ...oh yeah, and laundry!:dizzy:

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 27, 2011

I've been emptying boxes from when I moved. I finally found the floor in the living room. Now I have to finish finding the floor in my bedroom.
    I'm not going to do any work related stuff until next week. Then I'll correct papers and plan. I've also been sleeping late!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

I've been sleeping in! I've also been catching up on some household chores and I even rented a Rug Doctor to clean my carpet! Most importantly, though, I didn't bring home any school work because I need to rest my brain. Oddly enough--I had several dreams about school last night!

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2011

Cleaning. Blah.

12. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 27, 2011

I have had a couple of girls' nights, and I have been on three shopping trips. I have cleaned my house. I have worked on crafts as well. Today I shopped with my mom.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 27, 2011

Games: Ive played monopoly (twice--and we know how long this game lasts) and UNO Spin with my kids. I have plans on Friday to teach friends how to play Chicken Foot (dominos).

Holiday Events: I went to a Christmas party and a Christmas Fantasy Lights at the Zoo event (last night).

Other Fun Outings: I also took my kids to an indoor sports plaza place. Tomorrow I plan to take them either ice skating or bowling.

Shopping: Today I have to do some grocery shopping and errands.

Movies: Let's not forget an odd family movie or two thrown in there somewhere.

Now I just need a good book.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2011

Watching 'Elf' right now!:love:

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

I am spending a few days packing. My boyfriend and I do not live together right now, but he bought a duplex, and we will be moving into one side next month. We spent Monday packing up a lot of his stuff, and later this week we will pack up some of my stuff.

I am also spending 3 days at school, and I work 3 nights at my second job.

And doing a little relaxing. :)

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 27, 2011

I've been working a lot at my 2nd job. I worked all last week from 12 to 9, and this week it looks like I'll work mainly 8-6. *sigh* It would be nice to have a break, but I'm grateful that I have 2 jobs when so many people don't have one.

17. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 27, 2011

packing - still trying to find a new rental. Landlord decided to short sale this house but hoping to get most things packed while the kids are home from college for break.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 27, 2011

I'm trying to motivate myself to go grocery shopping.

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2011

Sleeping in, not thinking of school. * well thinking about it very little. Cleaning, doing things around the house that I have wanted to do.

20. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 27, 2011

I spent the first part of break in Phoenix visiting my dad. We returned on Christmas Eve and were busy with family gatherings through Christmas. Yesterday we had a party with friends. Today, I relaxed and started to read my new John Grisham book. The rest of the week will be spent cleaning house, shopping, a few lunch dates, and recharging!

21. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 27, 2011

Spending lots of time with family and friends. As much as possible since my next trip home probably won't be until the end of February or beginning of March. :(

Also spending too much money!!! :p Oops...it's all on sale right now!!!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2011

I'm loving it! Staying up late every night, I'm talking 3am or so. A couple of days ago, I stayed up all night & didn't go to bed until 6:30am.

Day 1 of break (Fri, the 23rd) - Looked at apts w/ my mom. I plan to move in spring/summer 2012.

Christmas Eve - Went to Disneyland & starting feeling a cold coming on, grrr!

Christmas - Stayed home most of day w/ my boyfriend & had fun unwrapping presents & eating pizza.

Day 4 - Had to cancel a lunch w/ a pal, but still went to the mall & dinner later that day w/ my boyfriend.

Day 5 (today) - Stayed home all day in pjs. I shopped some & am slowly learning how to operate my new Nook Color.

Day 6 - I'm going to the mall & lunch w/ another pal

Day 7 - Hopefully going to lunch w/ the other pal I cancelled w/

Rest of time, having fun w/ NookColor, going to movies, dining out, looking at more apts, etc.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 27, 2011

Ditto on both points! I actually won't be home until April at the earliest again. I don't have anywhere within even a couple of hours to really shop (for clothes and things like that) where I live, so I always do tons of shopping when I'm visiting my hometown.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

Today is the first day I don't have anything I need to do. My mom, sister and I went to a show last night (2 Pianos, 4 Hands) which was lots of fun. Today, I need to go to the grocery store so that we can eat something other than turkey and ham, but probably won't venture much further than that. We had a bit of a winter storm last night so the roads are a bit slippery and it's very cold. Tomorrow, I may brave the mall and go through the marking I need to contend with.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 28, 2011

Well, my car is in the shop, so I am homebound. Not a horrible thing, but I wanted to go into my sister's work and help out. During the summer, I go in to help her and her boss with paperwork they don't get to-mostly scanning and putting into the computer database. I enjoy it-totally different than what I do. So, I am a little bummed about that.
    Other than that, I am knitting (of course!), reading a book with the goal of finishing by Saturday, looking up some cool science experiments to do with my class, and spending time copying recipes for my recipe file.
    Alice, hugs to you and the family. You are still in my prayers. :hugs:

26. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 28, 2011

Monday I slept in, cleaned a little, and then helped with a family baby shower.

Tuesday I shopped almost all day (including grocery shopping), then watched tv, ate carryout pizza, and played board games with my family.

Today I slept in, put away Christmas stuff, cleaned a little, watched tv, and played on the computer.

Tomorrow I will clean a little and meet my colleagues for lunch.

Don't have any concrete plans for the rest of my break. :cool:

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 28, 2011

As expected, I got a cold immediately after school let out. I drove back to my home state last Saturday and have been sleeping and eating ever since. Tomorrow I'll venture out for some shopping. I have also been enjoying a book NOT related to education. :)

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

Reading, watching tv, reading, cleaning, playing with dog, reading, shopping, cooking, and reading some more :)

29. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Dec 30, 2011

I have spent the majority of my break back home to my parents. Spent lots of time with my nephew, lil cousins and friends. Attempted to sleep in but still found myself waking up around 8am. Traveled to see friends, ate really good... and I'm just now tuning in to thoughts of work... and the excitement that everyone is going to have with coming back to school.

Whew, I can imagine their smiles now! Excitement with seeing them and having a brand new co-teacher! (I have been without one for about 40 days!

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

EEEK...I had a bit of a cold Christmas day it started and was done yesterday...I could function but I was TIRED...still, got a trip to upstate NY for holiday visit with dh family, Christmas eve and day with my family, lots of time with dh and sons...LOVING being home, snuggled in, twinkling Christmas lights...:love: