How are you spending your time?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 21, 2020

How are you spending your time these days?

DH and I are both out of school through April 20th. I don’t see us going back at all. State testing has been cancelled. We both teach online. He is online 9 to 1. I’m online 8 to 3. We teach classes, call kids, call parents, and videoconference. I’m revising curriculum maps for next year with my grade-level partner.

We did a big grocery trip on Friday the 13th at like 3am when the stores weren’t crowded. Since then I went out Wednesday to get tests done at the hospital and pick up a couple of things they didn’t have at the grocery Friday. This last Friday we did a grocery trip for my mom and dropped it at her house. I didn’t stay long because she has cancer and doesn’t need exposure to anything else. I picked up takeout from a local restaurant.

Besides that, we have been home. We have deep cleaned the house, planted flower seeds, and watched a ton of television. I read a lot. DH plays xbox games. It is supposed to warm up and stop raining this week so we can work in the yard. we also plan to work on some crafts.

One good thing about living in a rural area and being an homebody introvert is that all of this really isn’t bad. Of course, we still have a month minimum to go . . .

mrsf70 likes this.
  3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2020

We haven't started online learning yet. However, I had (virtual) IEP meetings on Monday and Wednesday, a virtual staff happy hour on Thursday, and a virtual staff meeting on Friday. So I've had something work related most days still. This coming week is our technical SB, but when my P offered a chance to participate in interviews (again, virtually) I jumped at the chance to have something to do!

Tomorrow my book club is meeting online. I've been reading every day and spending a lot of time watching TV and being online. I've been getting my steps in also; when the weather warms up I need to start walking outside. I usually just march in place in front of my TV but in these circumstances I need to get outside.

Two Fridays ago (3/13) it was our last day at work and I went to the store afterwards to get extra things just in case. This past Wednesday I went to the vet to get a refill for my cat's medication, and it's next to the store I like best so I went in again to get some more things. Today I went to my school (our one chance) to get materials for online learning. Other than that, I haven't left the house.

I'm an introvert too and am doing okay right now, but I think that's largely due to having some semblance of work structure and being able to still see/talk to my teammates on a regular basis, even though it's virtually. If this extends into the summer and we're still supposed to be isolating/everything is still closed I'm going to have an extremely difficult time. I already struggle a bit in the summer, and that's with trying to make sure I get out of the house/have social plans at least every 3-4 days. I am praying the restrictions are over by then.

mrsf70 likes this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

Lots of tv, video games, Netflix and snacks. We'll get more info from our district next week on how to proceed with operations from home but given the socioeconomic disadvantages of this area, I don't see much happening outside of homework packets and posting online resources/worksheets, and that's for the parents that actually care.

5. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

Yea, there's only so much Netflix/Amazon Prime I can do before going to an actual theater with a huge tub of buttery popcorn and a large frozen Cherry Coke slush and a bag of Snickers.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Cooking! I haven’t cooked this much in ages!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

My job now consists of calling each of my 22 students twice a week. That's not that much work, so when I do talk to them we have longer conversations. I already feel like we are connecting deeper than before, it's just a different way of communicating. I am also their only connection to school so I am here for them.
    I am also monitoring Google classroom - we don't have any special online learning set up for the closure, but a lot of my students are completing some of their courses online.
    They told us our school is closed and locked starting March 23rd.

Other than that just a lot of cleaning.
    Our gyms are no closed. In fear of getting more lazy and gaining weight, I find that I'm much more active than before. I go on more and longer walks with my dogs. I have enough weights at home to do a whole body workout, so every day I work out, alternating upper body / lower body. Right now I'm sore, and I love it.

I'm an outdoor person so on the weekends I'm gone if weather permit. Last 2 weekends didn't and I was getting restless.

mrsf70 and Backroads like this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2020

I was already retired, but our life here has still changed. I rarely leave the house except to walk the dog in the neighborhood or go to a nearby park (that is large enough for everyone to keep their distance). We live on a lake so we get to sit on the porch and enjoy the wildlife and quiet. I had planned on shopping in the middle of the night, but the stores have shortened their hours. I think pretty soon we will be using stuff in our pantry that hasn't seen the light of day in well too long!

Backroads likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 22, 2020

Preparing and recording my online lessons, which is kind of fun. It lets me do teaching rather than management and whatnot.

Entertaining the children.

Attempting to deep clean the house.

Getting going on spring planting.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 22, 2020

Last week i taught online. Next week is spring break, but I've learned I need to keep a schedule. So my schedule for next week is:

7:30 - wake up, breakfast, dog medicine, stretch
    8:30 - walk
    9:15 - cleaning/organizing project (different one each day)
    11:30 - lunch
    1:00 - cleaning/organizing project
    3:30 - walk

Nightly, I will do one social activity (online board game with friend, Netflix viewing party, etc,) and one quiet, alone activity without a screen (solo board game, reading a book, long relaxing bath, etc.)

Weeks when I'm working, my schedule will look slightly different, but I have a die with a bunch of different exercises on it that I roll every hour to get up and move more. If I sit too much my blood sugar gets too high.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2020

At this point, we are just finishing our spring break and haven't been called on to do any teaching or providing of materials. I'm doing lots of reading and am trying to spend some time every day doing some cleaning and purging (there's WAY too much stuff in this house). I'll be finding a few series to watch on Prime in the next week or so.

whizkid likes this.
  12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

Our modem went out today. We have a new one being installed tomorrow. Until then, we are using our roll-over data.

13. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

My Uverse went out for half a day on Friday. Going to need my credit on my next bill for that!!!!

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 22, 2020

Same here. I normally eat very lightly, but the last 3 weeks I have probably gained 7 pounds. I normally can't eat when stressed, so this is odd.
    I feel physically hungry a lot more than normal.
    Plus, my sleep patterns have been majorly messed up.
    I wake up hungry after sleeping maybe 2-3 hours. I am going to become a blimp if this continues much longer because I have a pantry filled w/ carbs!

15. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

Mar 22, 2020

I wish I could do online. My district told us to put together packets and we gave them out.I'm hoping to hear more this week.

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

How will you grade them if the students cannot submit them online? I’m just trying to conceptualize how you can acquire them without making physical contact (that is, meeting with students in groups or one-on-one). Is your school closed or in the process of closing temporarily?

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Your post made me smile — I think it’s awesome you are building that relationship with your students on a deeper level.

I cannot imagine how an outdoors person is handling this mess. When this is over, have any planned trips with your dogs? :)

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I always have trips planned, I just can't stay home. The last 2 weeks winter seemed to have returned. In the mountains it was snowing non-stop so I couldn't go snow camping (not fun when snows constantly) and lower elevation it was raining.
    Finally it stopped enough this weekend for me to go and camp without a tent. Just a cot, sleeping bag and a tarp, very basic, very minimal. Oh and a sled with my 2 dogs pulling it.
    Well, I went and it was so messed up, I can only laugh.
    It was actually raining when I got there so I had to hurry up. Snow was knee high and my dogs wouldn't pull the sled because they could barely walk. So I had to do it and made 3 trips (with fire wood, etc)it was about 150-200 yards one way.
    Then I made a fire and realized that my cot and sleeping bag were getting wet, still don't know why. I decided to sleep in the truck lol.
    Just traded in my old truck and got a Ford F150 XLT with the crew cab, so it's spacious back there.
    Fed the dogs, packed up my sleeping bag, bag of clothes and put my dinner in there and the foldable compact stove with a jetboil can,
    I boiled 1 cup of water for my Mountain House dehydrated food (great survival food by the way, shelf life is over 25 years. People should be buying this and not tp) Boiled another cup for tea and that was it.
    Sleeping bag was super warm, but it was very hard and uncomfortable, not like a cot.

Interestingly, wen I went back in the morning, my cot, and the tarp with a blanket for the dogs were covered in snow. So I made the right decision, if I spent the night we all would have been snowed on, all wet and my 0 degree sleeping bag would not have worked.
    packed up, drag out everything and was home by 10 am.

At least I didn't stay home yet another weekend.
    Next weekend is supposed to be sunny (although don't believe the weather app, it wasn't supposed to rain last night) so I'm going to the river, I have my travel trailer there. I'll relax and try to catch some craw fish, do some hiking and maybe find some sheds (deer shed their antlers and leave them behind)

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Wow, you are quite the adventurer, haha! I can only imagine some of the things you’ve seen.

Hm, I think I might invest in some of that survival food. I never thought about that and that’s a great idea.

And you must be getting antsy having to stay indoors. Yes, you did make the right decision. You would have been snowed in — scary!

I need to start getting out, when it’s safe, of course, to explore the world. My life is so boring in comparison... And my Buttercup aka Butters (my avatar) probably needs the exercise!

Linguist92021 likes this.
  20. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I'm doing a variety of things. As some of you know, I started immunotherapy two months ago -- so it is really NOT safe for me to be out in public right now. However, the immunotherapy is working -- and my pain, inflammation, and stiffness is subsiding. The overwhelming fatigue I've been plagued with for months has cleared, and I have energy again!

I have tidied my new house within an inch of it's life! I've never been able to do that, or had the time to do that, before.

Unfortunately, I'm having one serious issue -- I'm compulsively internet shopping! Honey, I've bought more things on the internet in this past month than probably in my entire life! I'm getting concerned so I went "cold turkey" on the internet purchases yesterday. Let's hope I can keep up the self-control. (When you haven't been able to go out of the house for months and months, and it is a new house and you still haven't "decorated it" yet, it is so tempting to do.... But I'll be good....I hope.)

So I've been spackling holes left in the walls by the previous owners. I've been organizing things into logical areas. I've been storing things I don't use often. I've been putting things up on the walls (paintings, and mirrors, and such.) I've been scanning old family pictures as I come across them (because even though the moving van arrived last November, I only had unpacked essential things.) I've organized my pots and pans, my glasses, my spoons and knives, and rolling pin. You can't believe how good it feels to have energy (and hope) again. I'm making my house a home.

And while you all have been without much human contact for the past couple of weeks, it has been like this for me for months! So I've been using FB to communicated with all kinds of people I have lost touch with over the years -- childhood friends from elementary school, and my first crush! (I was eleven at the time.)

I start teaching online the end of next week (just a few hours a week, to slowly work back into things.) I'm sure I will enjoy doing that.

Overall, I'm keeping quite busy.

I've always been so overloaded with working full time as a teacher, being a caretaker every night and weekend, that it has been at least three years since I've done "normal" things -- like doing laundry on a regular schedule (I had no idea other people didn't just buy more clothes online when they ran out because they were too busy to do laundry or that most people don't eat meals on paper plates with plastic forks because they are too busy to cook or do dishes.)

Now, I cook meals, I use real china, run the dishwasher, hang up laundry, I grill outside, and sometimes, I just sit on my back patio with my little dog and watch egrets and cranes on the pond. Since I haven't watched TV in years (I never had the time for it) there are all kinds of shows I've never seen. I had never even heard of The Big Bang Theory, Last Man Standing, or Restaurant Impossible. I've had a blast watching them from start to finish all in a short amount of time. And Amazon just sent me a notice saying that I'm a prime member and they have noticed that I have never used their free "streaming service" that I'm entitled to. I had no idea, and I've never "streamed" anything -- it sounds like fun. I've only seen about 4 movies in the past 10 years, so I'm sure I can find something interesting.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 22, 2020

Abiding by the distancing but staying social online (Zoom is amazing for virtual cocktail parties). Contacting students via Remind and slowly making sure each of them has at least one set of class assignments to get them through the next week. Helping my teaching team settle in to new technology that wasn't supposed to go live for another month. Managing my husband's terror of this virus because he's high-risk but essential personnel for at least one more day.

22. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 22, 2020

Who Is DH? Da Husband :)

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  23. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 22, 2020

Teaching online (awaiting questions and giving advice).
    Waiting for warmer weather to fish, which is a solitary activity.
    I used iMovie and made a video of my band.
    Installed a new ceiling light in my son's room.
    I cleaned the hell out of our front loader washer with the help of many YouTube videos.
    Playing lots of guitar, many times while teaching online. Trying to get my pinky finger to reach and fret more accurately.
    Watching movies and staying up too late doing so.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Omg! This literally made me laugh out loud! I am
    NOT kidding!

25. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Wait, I always thought DH stood for Dear Husband. Gosh darn it, my slang is so bad, haha!

26. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 22, 2020

I don't own a phone and do not text so I'm not up on all of the abbreviations. So if DH is Dear Husband, is MOL = My Old Lady
    When I do hear guys say that, it makes me cringe. Yukk!

27. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Pfft, lol!

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

Sometimes when I referred to my ex as DH, the d didn’t stand for dear. ;)

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

We are trying to figure out a way to get work to and from kids in grades 7 and below. My kids all have Chromebooks, and most have internet access. I gave out maybe a dozen paper packets to the kids who didn’t have internet or didn’t have reliable internet. (There are still places here without the option for internet.) Some of my kids are doing their work on paper, then taking a photo and texting it to me.

The library book drop is outside the building, and that’s one option for kids dropping off work. They are trying to figure out a plan. One suggestion was to do drive through drop off/pick up at the school. Another suggestion was to have the busses pick up and drop off at the houses. One county is dropping off food for the kids every day. They could get their paper work that way.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  30. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 22, 2020

So Mon-Wednesday we did virtual interviews via Skype. Very interesting. And then I’m working on the scheduling for next year. We’re flying from 7 periods per day/full year courses to 4 per day semester courses. So at the end of the school year they’ll have taken 8 individual classes.

Ima Teacher likes this.
  31. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

Very good ideas, I'm ready to see what my district comes up with.

32. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Cool! So your switching from a more traditional scheduling timetable to block scheduling? I had that in high school and loved it.

33. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

Brilliant! Now that’s thinking on your feet. :D

34. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 23, 2020

Yes. I did as well, but it’s a massive undertaking.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2020

It can stand for anything you want if it's your husband LOL

Ima Teacher and catnfiddle like this.
  36. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 23, 2020

Also a big fan of the block schedule.

37. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 23, 2020

Our high school does trimesters. They really like it. It works great with the dual credit classes, too.

Backroads likes this.
  38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2020

Today should have been our first day back after our spring break. At this point, we are scheduled to be home for 2 more weeks (although I can't see us being back that quickly!). We haven't been given any direction about instruction; there is an administrators' meeting tomorrow, so we should get more direction after that. Today, I'm going to spend some time reading and giving feedback on the first draft of stories my students are writing and I'm going to set up a discussion thread on Google Classroom. I'm sure that more won't be checking in on Classroom, but a few will and I want them to know that I'm still here for them.

39. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 23, 2020

My district is in trimesters. Block schedules are so common in our state that now I wonder if the high schools are on block schedules.

40. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 23, 2020

I’ve actually been off since November due to medical issues, but things are definitely different now. I was going out on a limited basis, but that has essentially ended. I fill the day with cleaning, reading, walks outside, and way too much time online. Yesterday the highlight of the day was fixing the two bathroom faucets. Better flow and no more drips!!!

41. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 23, 2020

How does that work?